The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moderate noob...need advice, ready to purchase DAW Software
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

Moderate noob...need advice, ready to purchase

So i've been wanting to get into this for a while. When I mean a while I mean since i was 8 yrs old (now 25). Im a NY guy that has a love for all sorts of music. On a day im not busy or working I sit in a room, shower, car, and just listen to everything from Biggie, Snoop, Curren$y, Wiz, Wayne, 2pac, nwa, whatever it may be at the time. I know were all music lovers in here but I really do have a deep passion for it, so much that before I received my business bachelors I almost went to Full Sail until i was pursuaded not too by people that know people that have been there...

Anyways, first things first is im about to buy reason, fruitloops, and/or pro tools within the next week. I've read a ton of stuff on all and it seems that reason is the most popular, fruitloops may be the easiest at learning at first, and pro tools is a neccesity after you start getting serious?

I went to guitar center and checked out a few mpc (1000) and keyboards..
A question i have is am i better off getting a decent keyboard ($500-$1000) or spend that $1000+ on an mpc and get a cheap keyboard.

Lastly, anyone use "BeatThang" before and your impressions? I know $1500.....
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

Btw I already have a Macbook Pro and an older toshiba Windows XP comp.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

ever thought about using vstis for your sounds? that way you can just buy a midi controller...The mpc is kind of archaic, especially if you have never used it before...I'd go strictly software to start...if you ve never had an mpc you wont miss it.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderdan View Post
ever thought about using vstis for your sounds? that way you can just buy a midi controller...The mpc is kind of archaic, especially if you have never used it before...I'd go strictly software to start...if you ve never had an mpc you wont miss it.
Yeah, if you just need the stuff as midi controllers... maybe an Akai MPK... that way you have keys and pads. Also, if you're gonna be using mac, maybe check 'Logic Pro' for your DAW.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Would you consider buying some stuff used? You can get a great keyboard like a triton, motif, fantom and mpc1000 for probably $1000-1100 altogether.

The advantage of buying used hardware over vsts for one its very cheap right now and theres lots of great deals, and 2, there is always ppl buying top stuff like mpc's and motifs, tritons, so if you decide you dont want it, you can pretty much sell it easily and get your money back.

vsts are non-refundable and have little to no re-sale value because everyone just pirates them for free. So if you buy some you dont like or get tired of you kinda threw your money out, whereas you can always sell hardware.

I'd go for pro tools too for recording.
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

Yes i would buy used, just wouldn't want to get stuck with something broke after spending a bunch on ebay.

With an MPK what would i lose most vs. a MPC?

With the MPK, that will plug into either a mac or PC? As far as software goes what would be my best route.
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

BTW im open to software suggestions. . Either MAC or PC. I've seen Zaytoven and Lex Luger using Fruitloops in some youtube videos.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

check guitarcenter.com for used gear. Guaranteed to work, 30 day return ploicy and for $20 extra you can even get a full 1 yr warranty on it.

idk much at all about software, sorry.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'd start with fl studio 10, you can mess with the stock stuff and go from there. Vst plugins like spectrasonics omnisphere or steinberg hypersonic offer great sounds for modern hip hop and trap style beats. Plus fl studio 10 can help with the learning curve you'll encounter because to me
It's the simplest most straight forward daw. I just wouldn't use it to record with.
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

Reason (Mac/PC), FL Studio (PC Only), have demos. Might be an idea to download them & see what you think before dropping dollars. Watch some Youtube tutorials on each program as you're going through them (wish there was such a thing when i started haha).

They're all really good programs in their own right. They also have unique workflows so you have to see if they "click" with you.
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

Appreciate it fellas. I ordered a MPK61 and plan on demo both reason and FL. I think like many of you, I will start with FL. Any popular sites to DWL alot of the Zaytoven, Lex Luger, Drumma boy type Kicks and beats?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search