The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording Hartke bass amp/fan noise
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Recording Hartke bass amp/fan noise

I'm thinking about getting a new bass amp and doing some mic'd recordings. I want a Hartke because I had one once before and loved it, and its the exact sound I want. However, it has a noisy fan in the back (like a small computer fan). When I had it before I only played it live and the sound of the music covered it up to my ears and wasnt really a problem. And when I recorded with it I always ran it direct, not mic'd. But now that I want to get one and mic it, I'm little concerned that the mic will pick up the fan noise and mess up any recording possibilities. I plan to use it for other things too, like keys and drums. So a little noise on 1 bass track might be ok, but if its on every track, build up would be a problem.

I just wondered if anyone has experience miking this amp or any amp with fan noise, and what you did to get around it.

I'm thinking the obvious solution would be to just run a really long cable and move the amp head far away from the speaker. The amp I'm looking at is a combo though and I don;t really want to have to take it apart.

Any ideas? Thanks
Old 7th September 2011
If the amp is separate from the speaker cabinet, then you can move it away from the speaker cabinet, like you said

That said, I doubt you will pick up any fan noise due to the nature of the bass frequencies overshadowing it. But there's is only one way to find out and that's to try it.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks, yeah, just wondering if someone else tried it first before I decide to buy it. Thats good to know about the bass freq, I'm hoping to use it for drum machines and keys too, so will be recording some highs too.

Its got a great 10 band EQ and high pass filter so it surprisingly gets really good highs out of it, being a bass amp. Plus the aluminum cone speaker seems to help brighten the sound which makes the higher freq instr sound good through it. Great amp, I'm probably going to get it anyway because it can still be very useful recording direct through the tube amp, but hope to be able to do some mic'd recordings too.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Yep. I have that exact same head along with the Hartke 4x8 and sub, and I love the combination. The fan isn't an issue, especially since it can be drowned out by turning up the cabs.

Incidentally, I got the whole rig for $300 on Craigslist. Steal.

Ken R
Buffalo NY Recording Studio - Buffalo New York Premier Recording Studio | Outer Limit Recording Studio
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRutkowski View Post
Yep. I have that exact same head along with the Hartke 4x8 and sub, and I love the combination. The fan isn't an issue, especially since it can be drowned out by turning up the cabs.

Incidentally, I got the whole rig for $300 on Craigslist. Steal.

Ken R
Buffalo NY Recording Studio - Buffalo New York Premier Recording Studio | Outer Limit Recording Studio

cool, good to hear, thx. Which model head do you have? I'm looking at the ha2000 and it comes with a 15" alum cone cab. The one I used to have was the ha5000 and had the 4x10 cab, no sub though.

Have you ever run yours with just the sub, w/o the 4x8? I'm wondering what kind of sound I can expect through just one 15, and if it'll be muddy at all.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

Mine is the 2000, and I haven't run it with just the sub, although it sounds amazing with just the 4x8 cab. I would say that it may not be muddy with just the sub, but probably will lack high end definition and attack. Similar, yes, but different than muddy.

Ken R

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search