The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I left my wife for an R&B singer and now I can't get her recordings to sound good Audio Interfaces
Old 7th September 2011
  #1
Gear Addict
 

I left my wife for an R&B singer and now I can't get her recordings to sound good

To make this post more interesting, I'll spill this: I fell in love with a woman who sings and plays the piano like Alicia Keys. My wife and I are separated and I'm living with the new woman. I fled the house in a bit of a hurry and had to leave a bunch of gear behind. I'm hoping I can get it back, but whatever, that's not the point.

The point is, in my old house, I recorded in a basement. I never really knew how good I had it -- the sound was 100% dead, which made for great vocal recording. Mixing really sucked, but vocals came in clean and dry. Now I'm living with my girlfriend in her modular home. We've set up the living room in ultra-ghetto "Watch the Throne" style (including Mbox Mini 2 -- I had to leave my Digi-003 behind).

When I first tried capturing some vocals with my condenser mic (cheap Sterling Audio ST51), the room reflections were out of this world bad. I sort of expected this, as my only other experience trying to record outside of my basement was bad. My basement is totally untreated, and sounds great.

Well, anyway, I tried the Primacoustic Voxguard, and I'd say it took out 90% or more of the room reflections, but the sound is still pretty bad compared to my basement. The questions I have here are:

1. What kind of environment should I be recording in? Center of a big open room (she has a big living room leading into a kitchen. Carpeted floors in the living room, vaulted ceilings). Maybe in a corner that can be treated in some makeshift way? A smaller bedroom? Where?

2. What kind of budget treatment can I do and how? I'm talking budget, budget. I'm basically paying for the maintenance of two households. My girlfriend works, but my wife does not. And she likes to spend.
Old 7th September 2011
  #2
Gear Guru
 
charles maynes's Avatar
 

if you want a dry sound consider building a framed vocal booth and hanging packing blankets on all the vertical surfaces and the inside ceiling- that should be reasonably dry sounding, and if you do a framework with no solid walls, it shouldnt be too resonant.
Old 7th September 2011
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
eldorado_p's Avatar
 

Lmao! I'm sorry this has to be the funniest post I ever read in my life. The subject and the 1st paragraph alone are hilarious. Good luck tho
Old 7th September 2011
  #4
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldorado_p View Post
Lmao! I'm sorry this has to be the funniest post I ever read in my life. The subject and the 1st paragraph alone are hilarious. Good luck tho
No problem, man! I was hoping the entertainment value of the situation would provoke some more responses.
Old 7th September 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
jjboogie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drollz View Post
To make this post more interesting, I'll spill this: I fell in love with a woman who sings and plays the piano like Alicia Keys. My wife and I are separated and I'm living with the new woman.

How soon before you "fall in love" with yet another woman and leave the one you're with?



Guys like you give men a bad rap. tutt
Old 7th September 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Acoustic treatment will always remain the best solution. But when its not an option: de-verb by spl is pretty sweet too...
Old 8th September 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Reggmail's Avatar
 



drollz my brotha,

All I could say is.....













Cheaper To Keep Her - Johnny Taylor, and every other genres knows that.....Lol.



I would try padding a closet somewhere.
Hope it works out for you.
Peace & blessings.
Old 8th September 2011
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjboogie View Post
How soon before you "fall in love" with yet another woman and leave the one you're with?



Guys like you give men a bad rap. tutt
Nah, it's a pretty mutual thing. I was with my wife for 14 years. Our relationship was going not so good. My mom got sick with cancer. I went to stay with my mom and take care of her, since I do my work from home. I was gone a few weeks. My wife actually gave me a "hall pass." I failed miserably trying to pick up girls at the bar. So I called this girl I met at my brother's wedding. We hooked up, and I accidentally fell in love with her. I told my wife everything. She demanded I come home. I did. We couldn't get along. So she sent me to live with "the other woman" for a trial separation. Grown-up problems. Now I just want to get her vocals to come in clean and dry.
Old 8th September 2011
  #9
Here for the gear
 

arkahtek said.......

ok you want budget budget treatments ..you can buy auralex room treatment pads on ebay..got a bunch for 90 dollars cant remember the sq footage..but it did 3/4 of a wall with 8 feet ceilings,the length of the wall was 12 feet..or check the supermarket where you live maybe they have egg crates that also help with treating your room...good luck with your new relationship you live once!heh
Old 8th September 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 

huh ???

you left you wife so now your wife cant sing ?
Old 8th September 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
I know too many guys that have been in this exact situation. Your acoustics problem will be fixed as soon as she realizes you aren't going to keep sinking time into her unsuccessful career and then she will suddenly fall out of love. You'll have to move out and your new place will have better acoustics. Problem solved!

But seriously....

You need the "blanket trick". You get a big ass duvet and hang it from the ceiling with hooks or clamp it to large boom stands (the heavy duty kind). Make a U or V shape to make a little cave. Singer stands in the cave faces out singing into the mic. This obviously only works with condenser mics. This is a tried and true method. The bigger your duvet the better the result. I used two queens and sewed them together back when I had to record in a make-shift room to allow some space for the singer to dance around, or so I could even record an acoustic guitarist. You will often find this type of setup in large rooms at huge studios for tracking vocals. Moving blankets work, but duvets work a little better and can be found super cheap at places like Ross or Big Lots. Total cost: $20-$50.
Old 8th September 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
jjboogie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drollz View Post
Nah, it's a pretty mutual thing. I was with my wife for 14 years. Our relationship was going not so good. My mom got sick with cancer. I went to stay with my mom and take care of her, since I do my work from home. I was gone a few weeks. My wife actually gave me a "hall pass." I failed miserably trying to pick up girls at the bar. So I called this girl I met at my brother's wedding. We hooked up, and I accidentally fell in love with her. I told my wife everything. She demanded I come home. I did. We couldn't get along. So she sent me to live with "the other woman" for a trial separation. Grown-up problems. Now I just want to get her vocals to come in clean and dry.

Good luck homey!
Old 8th September 2011
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
You need the "blanket trick". You get a big ass duvet and hang it from the ceiling with hooks or clamp it to large boom stands (the heavy duty kind). Make a U or V shape to make a little cave. Singer stands in the cave faces out singing into the mic. This obviously only works with condenser mics. This is a tried and true method. The bigger your duvet the better the result. I used two queens and sewed them together back when I had to record in a make-shift room to allow some space for the singer to dance around, or so I could even record an acoustic guitarist. You will often find this type of setup in large rooms at huge studios for tracking vocals. Moving blankets work, but duvets work a little better and can be found super cheap at places like Ross or Big Lots. Total cost: $20-$50.
So the singer sings away from the blanket not into it right?
Old 8th September 2011
  #14
DAH
Lives for gear
 
DAH's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
I know too many guys that have been in this exact situation. Your acoustics problem will be fixed as soon as she realizes you aren't going to keep sinking time into her unsuccessful career and then she will suddenly fall out of love. You'll have to move out and your new place will have better acoustics. Problem solved!

But seriously....

You need the "blanket trick". You get a big ass duvet and hang it from the ceiling with hooks or clamp it to large boom stands (the heavy duty kind). Make a U or V shape to make a little cave. Singer stands in the cave faces out singing into the mic. This obviously only works with condenser mics. This is a tried and true method. The bigger your duvet the better the result. I used two queens and sewed them together back when I had to record in a make-shift room to allow some space for the singer to dance around, or so I could even record an acoustic guitarist. You will often find this type of setup in large rooms at huge studios for tracking vocals. Moving blankets work, but duvets work a little better and can be found super cheap at places like Ross or Big Lots. Total cost: $20-$50.
The first part had me cracking up you bastard heh
i would record her (in all meanings))) in free-field i.e. outside\outdoors, really it does pay\make sense if you are in quiet place.
just get your preamp, mic, mic stand, project or\and instrumental mix and the apturing device to a spot - done deal - seriously/ plus you can **** her in the wood\in the field.
Old 8th September 2011
  #15
Gear Nut
 
steverino's Avatar
 

"I accidentally fell in love with her."


Old 8th September 2011
  #16
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
"I accidentally fell in love with her."


It was not my intent.
Old 8th September 2011
  #17
Gear Addict
 

She lives in a busy subdivision. No chance of getting a good outdoor recording, but that is something I hadn't thought of. Also, another thing that sucks about having a non-basement recording place is the weather noise, noise from the road, etc. I never really appreciated how clean and quiet my basement was.

Anyhow, the douches at Guitar Center assured me that it wouldn't even matter where I placed my mic so long as I had the Voxguard. That's obviously a crock. Now, I know you want minimum reflection, which normally would mean far away from walls. But when there is nowhere I can go that's far enough away, my thinking is that putting the mic in a corner might be best because I can deal with the walls more easily. Here's a pic of where I have the mic right now. Would some simple treatment work here? What should I do here to make it work? Thanks.

Old 8th September 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 
DesmondA's Avatar
Damn homie, you fell for the 20.....that 20 sure is tempting though lol


Old 8th September 2011
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Steab's Avatar
Old 8th September 2011
  #20
Gear Head
 

i didnt know swizz beats posted on slutz??? lol
Old 8th September 2011
  #21
Lives for gear
 
drmmrboy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drollz View Post
I fell in love with a woman who sings and plays the piano like Alicia Keys.
You guys are hardcore. Is no one gonna ask if she looks like Alicia Keys..??
Old 8th September 2011
  #22
Gear Addict
 

Some guys just fall in love faster than others. It takes me like 1 year minimum to "fall in love" but it's more like I trip in love cause I can catch myself real quick.
Old 8th September 2011
  #23
Here for the gear
 

Man you just need 1 2x4 acoustic panel on that back wall and if you really love the girl then add two bass traps to the top corners and 1 2x4 on the right wall your good to go.

I went the extra mile and made you this diagram homie!
Attached Thumbnails
I left my wife for an R&B singer and now I can't get her recordings to sound good-wall.jpg  
Old 8th September 2011
  #24
Lives for gear
 
jimmydeluxe's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda View Post
Man you just need 1 2x4 acoustic panel on that back wall and if you really love the girl then add two bass traps to the top corners and 1 2x4 on the right wall your good to go.

I went the extra mile and made you this diagram homie!
HAHAHAHAHAA love this thread
Old 8th September 2011
  #25
Gear Head
 

Ive had good results just placing the mic in a corner, and padding that corner with blankets, and eventually foam.
Old 8th September 2011
  #26
You take two Ikea bookshelfs. (1,80m highth by 1m wide)Put wheels under them.

The microphone in the center of the room. And you fill the bookshelfs with books and place them 1-2m from the vocalist (back). So center microphone. Behind microphone the shield and behind the singer left & right the bookshelfs filled with books on wheels so you can variate the distance between the two shelves... and the singer.

Simple. But will give you good results.

After you're done you can ride the two bookshelves away and place them against the wall.

This will take away the boxy sound a small vocalbooth gives you.
Old 8th September 2011
  #27
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drollz View Post
She lives in a busy subdivision. No chance of getting a good outdoor recording, but that is something I hadn't thought of. Also, another thing that sucks about having a non-basement recording place is the weather noise, noise from the road, etc. I never really appreciated how clean and quiet my basement was.

Anyhow, the douches at Guitar Center assured me that it wouldn't even matter where I placed my mic so long as I had the Voxguard. That's obviously a crock. Now, I know you want minimum reflection, which normally would mean far away from walls. But when there is nowhere I can go that's far enough away, my thinking is that putting the mic in a corner might be best because I can deal with the walls more easily. Here's a pic of where I have the mic right now. Would some simple treatment work here? What should I do here to make it work? Thanks.



You're better off starting in a bigger room than that. That size with bare walls will sound horrible for sure. Go to the living room (or anything bigger) and construct what chriscarter was suggesting with big fat duvets making a V shape behind the singer. That and your cute little GC device will see you right. Funny thread indeed.....
Old 8th September 2011
  #28
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw842 View Post
Ive had good results just placing the mic in a corner, and padding that corner with blankets, and eventually foam.
Not as good as setting it up in the middle of the room, as low mid and bass get trapped in the corner and build up. In the middle (or more to the point, away from corners/walls) that disperses away through the duvets while they keep the top end under control.
Old 8th September 2011
  #29
Gear Addict
 
Jonkr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Not as good as setting it up in the middle of the room, as low mid and bass get trapped in the corner and build up. In the middle (or more to the point, away from corners/walls) that disperses away through the duvets while they keep the top end under control.
Yea get it out of that little hall. That's just making it worse.
Old 8th September 2011
  #30
Lives for gear
 

When I first saw the title of this thread, I assumed it was a (genius) title of a song.

Seriously, that would make SUCH a good song title. (For an R&B song, d'uh)

It's like something Tracy Morgan would sing on 30 Rock.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump