The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I left my wife for an R&B singer and now I can't get her recordings to sound good Audio Interfaces
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Guru

This thread is a bit more like Tracey Emin's unmade bed......
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

u could try a "lil jon" style vocal booth
video at ca 1:10
MTV Cribs visita a casa de Lil John - YouTube
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfg_MacGyver View Post
u could try a "lil jon" style vocal booth
video at ca 1:10
MTV Cribs visita a casa de Lil John - YouTube
a) I just wasted 6:30 of my life thx for that

b) Anybody realize how they bought everything rich people actually need and don't even know how to use it? Like how the **** u thought u need a tennis court
Old 8th September 2011
pan
Lives for gear

Take her out to a real studio!

GS advice of the day: You better take her out to a real studio!

For real, with all the tips from these boys, you better get your **** together and start treating your new girls place, otherwise, it's soon the place, where you still have a M-box mini and a cheap mic to pick up from...

I can recommend the bookshelf treatment, but you might as well rip up your bed and do it lil jon style, if a wall of books is over your budget.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

maybe the easiest option would be shure sm7b ?
or sm58 if you can't afford sm7b ?
or maybe rent sm7b, I won't believe that you are living in us and can't afford sm58...-few hours work at the local post ?.
I did great recording with very good singer (important) in semi treated home-based 'studio',
it was dynamic audix, can't remember the model, check how it sounds :
early morning/master by tresperros | Song | Free Music, Listen Now
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I left my wife for an R&B singer and now I can't get her recordings to sound good

Fun thread so far eh?

So another thought:

After looking at your pic something has grown clear: you placed the mic based on 1) a preconcived notion of where it should be and/or 2) visual symmetry. As opposed to empirical testing.

All the blanket tricks and acoustic treatment (great advice to be sure!) will take second place to actually spending some time placing the mic in the room.

I have done many vocal recordings away from a proper studio and have found one rule to hold true repeatedly: each and every room no matter how good or bad as a sweet spot (or more). The simplest method to get you started is to simply walk around the room singing and find it. Once you think you've narrowed it down, get in headphones and have the vocalist begin using the mic. Get ready to move the mic. Don't neglect axis either!

In my experience (unless it IS a studio) the sweet spot will NOT be visually appealing or symetrical.

Best of luck and thanks again for the fun thread!
Old 8th September 2011
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjboogie View Post
How soon before you "fall in love" with yet another woman and leave the one you're with?

Guys like you give men a bad rap. tutt
+1...Grass is never greener, it just seems like it at first!
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by padaddyof3 View Post
i didnt know swizz beats posted on slutz??? lol
Yo this had my in tears. I thought the same thing!!

Swizz beatz got kicked out the house!! I guess it's no longer "SHOWTIME" huh??

LMAO!!

I needed this laugh today!!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Damn, this just made me appreciate my wife a little more
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
Have you worked with singers much before? I hate to point it out but the reality with singers is that there is a HUGE difference between someone who sounds decent in the shower (or uh..bed) and a actual real singer.

Just sayin it could be a lot more then just acoustics...
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

A dynamic mic (SM57/58?) would pick up a little less room, being not quite as sensitive as a condenser, but really, move to the center of the room, and out of the hallway. Good luck!!!
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Downer View Post
a) I just wasted 6:30 of my life thx for that

b) Anybody realize how they bought everything rich people actually need and don't even know how to use it? Like how the **** u thought u need a tennis court
always happy to help

hey lil jon is funny and doing his thing
that vocal booth IS cool an cheap
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Not as good as setting it up in the middle of the room, as low mid and bass get trapped in the corner and build up. In the middle (or more to the point, away from corners/walls) that disperses away through the duvets while they keep the top end under control.
He isn't dating an upright bass...
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycash View Post
Damn, this just made me appreciate my wife a little more
That avatar is genius.
Old 8th September 2011
you should DIY acoustic traps. for 12 square meters room it will be about 20 traps. 300-400$.
also you can try vicoustic flexi screen. but i prefer acoustic traps.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

Good luck in your quest homie! I just hope it isn't a case of this:

start 2:00min mark

Old 8th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozef View Post
He isn't dating an upright bass...
So then he'll want to move to the middle of a bigger room as to not make his girl resonate like one in the corner.....
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

I appreciate all the help I'm getting here. I'll respond at greater length later, but I do want to address a few things:

1. She is a phenomenal singer; not just someone who sounds good in the shower. I've heard her perform live. She actually recorded an album's worth of songs in a studio, paid for by some independent label, back in 2008. The problem is not her; it's the acoustics. I recorded myself, too. There is crazy reflections.

2. I have a cheap mic because that's all I've needed up until this point. I've recorded rap vocals and only some light singing up until this point. The mic has served me well, and when I've had cash to upgrade, the mic has yet to be the weak link in the chain. Even now, it seems dumb to buy a better mic until addressing the acoustical issues here.

Again, thanks for the productive responses.. Even the unproductive ones. This is a serious thing going down here, but that doesn't mean I can't see the humor in it, still.
Old 9th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjboogie View Post
How soon before you "fall in love" with yet another woman and leave the one you're with?

Guys like you give men a bad rap. tutt
+1

Respect jjboogie! I felt bad just reading this. Dude, I'm sorry, but this is just too much. Good luck to the OP, hope he finds peace and happiness, this thread really makes me very sad. Nothing against the OP, I just wish people would work harder at staying in love. No disrespect OP, but this breaks my heart dude.

peace,
min

p.s. Go back and get your gear.

Last edited by mista min; 9th September 2011 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: edited after reading some more....
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

My first gear came from a scorned woman. I inquired about paying $100 for a set of cheap speakers. He sold me 3/4 of his whole setup for $100 because she wanted everthing of his out. If its that serious get the cops to go in with you to get your stuff.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

One woman, 14 years, never even thought about cheating. That's the truth. I'm not some kind of serial philanderer. We tried working it out. In fact, this is part of us trying. But yeah, this is sad. The worst part is we have a 5-year-old daughter and I haven't been able to see her for a week. I'm going to tomorrow, though. This is off topic, in terms of gear, of course. But to bring it back on topic, my wife is cool enough with it all that she's bringing my 003. (She's been dating and has a date on Saturday night, fwiw).
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I left my wife for an R&B singer and now I can't get her recordings to sound good

I wish you both happiness. Having nothing to do with gear: my dad has been married 25 years. Twice! I firmly believe two good people can grow apart. As sad as it was when my dad and step mom seperated, it has made my family only larger and stronger. Last Christmas I flew out to Colorado to spend Christmas with my stepmom. My father joined us. It was me, him, her, and her fiancé. And it was wonderful!!! Very weird, but awesome nonetheless. Family is family.

Bottom line: YOU get to decide what's right and all the cynical posters can suck it! Just remember: you will forever be bonded through your child. Respect all three ladies and the rest will take care of itself.

My heart goes out to you homie! Best of luck with your new adventure! And give that little girl a big ole hug when you see her!
Old 10th September 2011
zzz
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drollz View Post
One woman, 14 years, never even thought about cheating. That's the truth. I'm not some kind of serial philanderer. We tried working it out. In fact, this is part of us trying. But yeah, this is sad. The worst part is we have a 5-year-old daughter and I haven't been able to see her for a week. I'm going to tomorrow, though. This is off topic, in terms of gear, of course. But to bring it back on topic, my wife is cool enough with it all that she's bringing my 003. (She's been dating and has a date on Saturday night, fwiw).
i cant understand man, thats so cool !!!
hahahahahahahahaaaa, !! yeah !
Old 10th September 2011
zzz
Gear Addict

but for mycase, she left me, she took out my kids. then she get sued.
hahahahahahhhhaaaaaa..yeah !!! drollz
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

They say love is blind, but maybe it's deaf, also. heh

Similar thing happened to me, but the other way round. A girl I was with left me for someone who looked and sounded like someone from The Pharcyde. She was obsessed with one of their albums, played it day in and day out, so I guess I knew I was out of the picture when he came along. I was seriously bummed out by it.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

you're an idiot...
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda View Post
Man you just need 1 2x4 acoustic panel on that back wall and if you really love the girl then add two bass traps to the top corners and 1 2x4 on the right wall your good to go.

I went the extra mile and made you this diagram homie!

So funny......Lmaoooo!!!!!!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

roflmfao
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Baldon View Post
They say love is blind, but maybe it's deaf, also. heh

Similar thing happened to me, but the other way round. A girl I was with left me for someone who looked and sounded like someone from The Pharcyde. She was obsessed with one of their albums, played it day in and day out, so I guess I knew I was out of the picture when he came along. I was seriously bummed out by it.

LMAOOO
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Why try to make a studio in her modular home, which by your own admission sounds bad?

Instead of spending the $$ on more treatment, why not spend your $$ at a professional studio with great gear? If the new girl is that good her performance would benefit from that the most, great acoustics, microphones, preamps, EQ, etc. Just block some time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search