The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elysia Xpressor, Any experience with this? Dynamics Plugins
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Elysia Xpressor, Any experience with this?

elysia

i've been looking for a h/w compressor for like forever for 2 bus and felt the h/w stuff was too expensive to justify at the moment. This is an all discrete design with GRL(which is something I think would be great for buss compression). For $1500 if it sounds similar to it's bigger brothers might be great for the project studio type like me...
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
i've been looking for a h/w compressor for like forever for 2 bus and felt the h/w stuff was too expensive to justify at the moment.
I'm looking to complete my mixbus chain atm & was gonna go with the Nail.
After seeing the 1U Xpressor I want the Elysia alot more. No tubes, 1U and the demo are all a + for me.

Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOxmyn View Post
I'm looking to complete my mixbus chain atm
& was gonna go with the Nail.
After seeing the 1U Xpressor I want the Elysia alot more.
No tubes, 1U and the demo are all a + for me.

The Hammer and the Nail are both fantastic on the two bus.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
You're not lying about that. I'm just feeling the Xpressor alot more. Plus the price is alot easier on my pockets.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOxmyn View Post
I'm looking to complete my mixbus chain atm
& was gonna go with the Nail.
After seeing the 1U Xpressor I want the Elysia alot more.
No tubes, 1U and the demo are all a + for me.

why are no tubes a plus? maintenance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
any experience with the elysia stuff...stuff LOOKS like it sounds good...and the mpressor plug-in is pretty cool
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

I've been using an Xpressor 500 series comp for probably close to a year now. It sounds cool and you can create some really interesting sounds with it. I don't know another compressor with such unique controls.

...my biggest gripe with it though, it narrows the stereo image like a mofo. I wouldn't put it on a 2-bus. Parallel compression? Maybe. But using it in a stereo application beyond being an effects compressor I consider out of the question.

Dominik & the guys are Elysia are a bunch of dudes. Total dudes. Probably the most responsive and polite company men I have ever encountered.

As always... YMMV. I don't think it compares with its bigger brothers though. Different price range. Different market. Different uses in my books.
Old 19th September 2011
manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrode View Post
...my biggest gripe with it though, it narrows the stereo image
We really have a hard time reconstructing this.
In all of our tests, and in all the sound and video samples available (done with standard serial units) this problem does not occur.

However, we would like to help you and look into this by all means.
It would be great if you could send us some info on your serial number and the rack you are using.
Please send this info to [email protected]

Also, if you have a sound sample available in which the problem occurs, please also send it to the same email address.
(It would be nice to have the parameter settings used in the sample, too).

Thanks a lot for your help!
All the best,
Dominik
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been using an Xpressor 500 series comp for probably close to a year now. It sounds cool and you can create some really interesting sounds with it. I don't know another compressor with such unique controls.

...my biggest gripe with it though, it narrows the stereo image like a mofo. I wouldn't put it on a 2-bus. Parallel compression? Maybe. But using it in a stereo application beyond being an effects compressor I consider out of the question.

Dominik & the guys are Elysia are a bunch of dudes. Total dudes. Probably the most responsive and polite company men I have ever encountered.

As always... YMMV. I don't think it compares with its bigger brothers though. Different price range. Different market. Different uses in my books.
what are you using to run it? API 500 series lunch box? A-designs 19" rack? maybe the psu is the issue? did you get a chance to play with any of the other gear?
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

@Teacher
Theres no way, Xpressor 500 takes up two slots in a lunchbox.
A Designs is a 1U rackmount, it wouldnt fit.

@Eletrode
Are you using clean power as far as Furman/Monster ??

The vids have lead me to pre-order.
It would realy grind my gears if it didnt work magic on a 2bus.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
what are you using to run it? API 500 series lunch box? A-designs 19" rack? maybe the psu is the issue? did you get a chance to play with any of the other gear?
Other gear? I have a Smart C1, Manley Varimu, Cranesong Ibis, Zsys Zq2, a pair of purple actions, a pair of API 527's and a pair of Laz Pro LA3A's all in the same rack setup. All supplied with the same power... The narrowing effect is noticeable with the Xpressor.

Do a search, there are a bunch of people on the forum that have expressed similar feelings about it.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Other gear? I have a Smart C1, Manley Varimu, Cranesong Ibis, Zsys Zq2, a pair of purple actions, a pair of API 527's and a pair of Laz Pro LA3A's all in the same rack setup. All supplied with the same power... The narrowing effect is noticeable with the Xpressor.

Do a search, there are a bunch of people on the forum that have expressed similar feelings about it.
thanks...I meant other elysia gear...maybe it was fixed in the rackmount version...hopefully...
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear
You might wanna read this you'll see how much love this comp gets.

I love mine like crazy, "from my cold dead hands" kinda love.
Get it and be happy, it does the 2bus and other 345234534 things spectacularly
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

thanks....search is your friend
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

one last question...was this stereo image effect related to threshold? or does it even do it when the compressor isn't even getting hit at all?

thanks
Old 21st May 2015
Here for the gear
I'm a proud owner of an Elysia Xpressor and i can say i love it!
The xpressor is very clean, it doesnt delivers much of characteristics, but it delivers great compression!
It took me some seconds to make sure i love this tool.
In my opinion this compressor is, for its money, the most versataile clean compressor you can get.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search