The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tracking RNB Compressing on way in digitally.. Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

Tracking RNB Compressing on way in digitally..

Hey guys..

Watching so many videos etc and so everyone one tracking vocals seems to have a small amount of compression applied on the way in to control the vocals, well I don't own compressor.

So I decided to find away to compress the vocals as they was recorded digitally. the best way to explain is with the image below

This works I'm recording a vocal going through and being compressed? Is there a down side am I missing the point?

I'm recording vocals to sit at -6 once recored.
Attached Thumbnails
Tracking RNB Compressing on way in digitally..-tracking.jpg  
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
There is really no need to do it this way. People track with some compression because they can use an analog comp for a little of it's character and have it help to guarantee that there isn't any clipping on the converter.

It would be better to wait until the playback channel to comp in your case so you could always take it off. If you are doing this to save CPU, just freeze the tracks.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru

There's no benefit to doing it digitally while tracking. And your morelikely to screw up your recording, making it difficult to deal with when mixing. If you don't have an analog comp, skip compression while tracking. If you wanna hear yourself compressed through your headphones, just slap a compressor on your vocal subgroup and monitor through it.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsawsoul View Post
I'm recording vocals to sit at -6 once recored.
Definitely not a bad idea considering what you've read, and I commend you for taking the effort to actually doing it to have an actual experience to evaluate. However, some of the motivation to compress during tracking is that the signal is less likely to clip the converters, which of course is not an idea you can transfer to digital since the signal is already past the converters at that stage. heh

Also, if you're recording in 24 bit, which you should be doing, recording to sit at -12 is plenty of signal... you could do -18 and still be way good on signal to noise ratio, and that would give you some more headroom. I go for -12 on peaks when tracking (use a very little amount of limiting during tracking, from the Chandler TG-1, but I go for a little less than -12 on peaks if I track completely without comp).
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

No point to compressing vocals in the digital world. Just learn to ride the gain, or buy a hardware compressor.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
You won't get any sonic advantages using a digital compressor going in. That said, your workflow could be greatly improved, or degraded, depending on how you like to work. If make better decisions with the compression, if you cut better vocals with the compression, if you mix better if all the vox had compression going in, then go ahead and do it regardless of it just being digital compression. People on this forum get caught up with what's technically the best, or what's the cleanest, or whatever. They often forget that at the end of the day it just has to sound good.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks guys for your thoughts. I ask these questions as lately I have been recording a male rnb singer, I set everything up run a few testing etc, recording it at around -6, but as soon he starts the next put of the vocal it may be sung with more power etc, or be low at the start then need with more power (can't think of a better word).

So my recording start at -6 and start to jump 4/5 db up, I just wanted to compress to give me more room to compress after. But guess I need hardware, any good little compressor on a real tight budget out there?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

FMR Audio RNC 1773 REALLY NICE COMPRESSOR

That IMO is the best you are going to get for really cheap. It won't crap up your sound, it will do it's job well, and it will work transparently if used properly. It's also good enough to hang on to even after you move up to something more expensive.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsawsoul View Post
Thanks guys for your thoughts. I ask these questions as lately I have been recording a male rnb singer, I set everything up run a few testing etc, recording it at around -6, but as soon he starts the next put of the vocal it may be sung with more power etc, or be low at the start then need with more power (can't think of a better word).

So my recording start at -6 and start to jump 4/5 db up, I just wanted to compress to give me more room to compress after. But guess I need hardware, any good little compressor on a real tight budget out there?
You shouldn't be recording vocals that hot. -12dBFS max.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
You shouldn't be recording vocals that hot. -12dBFS max.
Highest peaks should be anywhere between -6 and -12. People always take that as meaning their level should ride around -6; which usually causes them to have peaks way too close to clipping.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search