The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rich Harrison style sampling/mixing?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Rich Harrison style sampling/mixing?

I've been listening to Amerie's "All I Have" album lately (which is a slept on gem) and I really noticed the unique production style. They are sample, but dont really "sounds" sampled all the time. Is this just a case of recreating samples and making tracks around them or something else?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Its sampled but rather than chopping loops he's chopping sounds out from what I can tell. Nothing super unique but its dope. I've always liked this album and his beats.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Rich Harrison is a beast with beats and top lines.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Rich is classically trained and plays/replays most of the instruments around the main sample. Even the percussion.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopularDemand View Post
Rich is classically trained and plays/replays most of the instruments around the main sample. Even the percussion.
"Why Don't we Fall in Love", "One Thing", and "Crazy in Love" were all examples of pure sample chops. He did play a few pads and basslines overtop of the samples, but other than that it was all chopping. Dude is BEAST at chopping. On some of the B-side tracks on those albums you can hear some of his playing. "Talking to Me" is a good example of that. He pretty much played all of that. The point to be made though, it all of the joints that he has had that have charted have been heavy sample chops with very minimal playing overtop of the samples.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yep. He also wrote/co-wrote many of the lyrics to these songs, including Crazy In Love. Super talented.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

the sampling on "one thing" and the arrangement is worldclass though... without talking about the mix by Tony Maserati..one of my ref mix btw

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search