The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Things to look out for in an MPC 60? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Things to look out for in an MPC 60?

So, I have options on two MPC 60s tomorrow morning. One is a 60, the other a 60II. I am NOT an MPC user, I use Ensoniq gear for sampling, ASR and EPS, so what do I need to look out for? What are the things that makes one 60 more valuable than another? Is a 60II really that much better than a 60? Is it expensive to upgrade to the newest OS which makes it comaparable to a 3000? What other things should I look out for and can I access any neccessary information via the LCD and how?

Lots of questions I know, but if you can help a brother would be big thanks for you.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Make sure it has scsi

No one makes that ne more

If it has scsi it must also have the 3.1 os
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

The 62 is identical except for the case and headphone jack. Check for os, 3.10 is a must have. Try to save/load something and make sure the drive works etc. It might have scsi but a blown scsi fuse. Try to assign a sound to each of the different outs, the 3k I bought of ebay has some blown (??) outs and i didnt really catch it in time...Other than that its just the stuff you would check with any older gear, screen working/dead pixels, knobs change value smoothly, arrow up downs/commonly used buttons still easily actuated. The 60 is a ROCK. Ive never gotten either ofmine to freeze or act strange and I would leave it on for WEEKS at a time...

All things equal, I would deffo go for the 60 over the 62. It has a damn arm rest! Well, and it has the adjustable screen so you can work on it at different angles. the 62 seems more set-up for sitting at table style...
Wish the 3k had the build of the 60, I miss my 60's!
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

The MPC 60's are solid, so I doubt you'd find any deal breaking problems as they're easily fixed, but look out for:

1. Broken transport buttons or micro switches

2. Dim back light

3. Scsi port and V3 software

4. Watch for automatic re-triggering of pads (dodgy membrane)

5. Dodgy disk drive
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

the mk2 is simply ugliest mpc ever...
take the 1 version,
if you live in west coast - then contact forat,
he is the man, very honest guy and knowledgeable too,
so he can look into it and resolve all little/hidden issues
you won't be disappointed with his service and mpc60 mk1,
it's a great machine - for drums programming, I'd say a real gem

peace and good luck

also - Akai MPC Forums - Tips, Tricks, Tutorials & Discussion For The Akai MPC Sampler Range
there's mpc60 subforum - and lads are helpful
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mastering View Post
the mk2 is simply ugliest mpc ever...
take the 1 version,
if you live in west coast - then contact forat,
he is the man, very honest guy and knowledgeable too,
so he can look into it and resolve all little/hidden issues
you won't be disappointed with his service and mpc60 mk1,
it's a great machine - for drums programming, I'd say a real gem

peace and good luck

also - Akai MPC Forums - Tips, Tricks, Tutorials & Discussion For The Akai MPC Sampler Range
there's mpc60 subforum - and lads are helpful
^^^Co-sign

The Mk1 is pure class with the metal chassis, bigger tilt screen and arm rest.

The Mk2 is plastic, but has the headphone jack in the front.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I bought a used MPC60 II a few years back and Forat bought it back to showroom new AND added some mods that still makes it a perfectly capable production unit in 2011. I would tell anybody who wants to make sure their 60 is at full capacity to give him a call. I don't know if he has the SCSI parts in stock anymore but you could ask and see. He'll also talk your ear off on the phone, but he's got some real interesting stories.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Scsi's interfaces For those things are wildly expensive and kinda rare. Good luck.

They're not terribly necessary unless you plan to use it stand alone. If you're just sequencing on it you DEFINITELY don't need scsi.

To buy one with scsi you might as well spend an extra hundred bucks or so and get a 3000 with way more features IMO.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Hey there.

Well, I ended up buying two MPC 60s, both the 60 and the 60II. The 60 is in immaculate condition appearance-wise, maybe 9 out of 10? The 60II not so much, maybe only a 7.5 out of 10.

They both load floppys. I had no sounds so I formatted a disc in each of their drives. All the transport buttons work well. All the buttons are responsive and do what they are supposed to do. The jog wheel also. The fader on the left side of both of them is a bit sticky but I can fix that easily enough.

They are both operating on v2.something or other - none are v3. So I guess I'll try them and if I need the SCSI update along with the v3 OS I will have to pay for it. The 60 has no backlight on the lcd. The 60II does. Maybe I could swap them over, as I really like the look of the 60.

The price was good - checked over by a reliable tech in a friends store in Manhattan - both for $950 cash, no tax, and an Akai MPD32 for another 160 cash.

So all in all a good deal, or no? Despite whether it is or not, they are mine now and I will make phat things with them regardless.

Thank you for your invaluable input.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I think that was a good price. I paid almost $700 for my 60II but it had the newest Roger Linn OS and a new lcd screen. I've cleaned the connectors inside a couple of times because after few months of use I get alot of noise in my samples and the mpc might randomly freeze. After cleaning it usually works for fine.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

Just a quick question... How can I find out how much RAM I have installed on these MPCs? I won't keep bugging for info, but this would really help.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Check how much sample time it'll let you have
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

This is the thing. It says 5secs which is the max sample time per sample with this OS. But I am interested in TOTAL sample time.

No biggie if no one can help me though. I'll be home in a few days and when I get there I will be itching out of my skin to load **** up. I guess then I will find out through usage. I was curious though...
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

When you load files from a floppy it should show the amount of free RAM in kilobytes, access via Disk menu
Old 28th September 2011
Gear Nut

Same here, I do have both 60 and 62 , just love them all! Recently I am looking for a CF drive to replace the internal floppy drive, is anyone know where can I get one ?any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

mpc60's are going for crazy cheap on ebay right now. I saw some for $400 in good condition.
Old 30th September 2011
Gear Addict

There's two glitches to look out for in the 60 series.
1. Sequencer glitch where the mpc 60 randomly triggers samples out of sync. I always thought it was a polyphony issue due to how many layers I used but found out it has to do with the OS.

2. SMPTE glitch. I can tell you about countless times I had to retrack because the SMPTE code didnt print to tape properly.

The MPC didn't become reliable in my humble opinion until the 3000 came out. This is coming from someone who owned both versions of the MPC 60.

Great sampler and an overglorified sequencer if you ask me. But I would still get one again for the nostalgia of it all.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 1st October 2011
Here for the gear

hip hop drums hip hop samples hip hop loops hip hop kits mpc

They are not terribly necessary if you don't plan to utilize it stand alone. If you are just sequencing onto it you DEFINITELY do not need scsi.

To buy 1 with scsi you may as well spend an additional hundred bucks approximately and get the 3000 with a lot more features IMO.
Lives for gear

Ive had a bug with mine where it will play all the samples in memory after triggering a sample, theyre all at a much lower volume than everything else when you do trigger, but I can definitely hear it when it happens. Ive heard about bad ram and all that, so I took my expansion out...still did it...reseated some of the ribbon cables and still did it. Im just scratching my head as to what is causing this strange bug. It looks like the OS chips are installed properly so I wouldnt think its that unless that could cause it.
Old 29th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architecture View Post
Ive had a bug with mine where it will play all the samples in memory after triggering a sample, theyre all at a much lower volume than everything else when you do trigger, but I can definitely hear it when it happens. Ive heard about bad ram and all that, so I took my expansion out...still did it...reseated some of the ribbon cables and still did it. Im just scratching my head as to what is causing this strange bug. It looks like the OS chips are installed properly so I wouldnt think its that unless that could cause it.
That's insane. First time I ever heard a 60 doing that.
Old 29th December 2011
Gear Addict

How come no one is talking about the infamous MPC-60 o.s. glitch?
Old 30th December 2011
Gear Nut

Yea many 60s have the "ghost in the machine" which is what yall are talking about. havnt heard it in my luckily.

60s are still major workhorses in even this day and age, esp for MIDI and great drums/sequence. They are a label of love though. Many people tried hacking the memory, which F's up some of the 60 market. Its a crapshoot when you get one, esp if you buy it off a pawnshop or someone un-knowledgeable of what they ave. You Getting one (or 2) without memory upgrade or new OS, might be a good thing, because it means its probably been minimally used, and no one has tried to hack it. You will need to put money into it though to get it maxed out (memory, OS, backlight, SCSI).

Forat and VST are really good, but honestly I would do everything yourself unless you can't. Those dudes are pricey as ****. Enjoy your 60 though, its my favorite piece of gear.
Old 30th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Marriott View Post
How come no one is talking about the infamous MPC-60 o.s. glitch?
Refresh our memories.
What was the infamous MPC60 glitch?
Old 9th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDIchlorian View Post
Refresh our memories.
What was the infamous MPC60 glitch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Marriott View Post
There's two glitches to look out for in the 60 series.
1. Sequencer glitch where the mpc 60 randomly triggers samples out of sync. I always thought it was a polyphony issue due to how many layers I used but found out it has to do with the OS.

2. SMPTE glitch. I can tell you about countless times I had to retrack because the SMPTE code didnt print to tape properly.

The MPC didn't become reliable in my humble opinion until the 3000 came out. This is coming from someone who owned both versions of the MPC 60.

Great sampler and an overglorified sequencer if you ask me. But I would still get one again for the nostalgia of it all.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
I forgot I posted about this before but it's all in the quote.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search