The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC Killer, iPAD App Killer, KILLER!!! Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

MPC Killer, iPAD App Killer, KILLER!!!

KILLER I SAY!!!

Why is it that when something comes along it has to kill the other thing?

If I remember correctly, the ASR-X was the first big MPC Killer. Next were some random groove boxes by Yamaha, Korg. Then, the almighty MV-8k, fully blown with vga, mouse, etc etc.

Now we have Ableton, Reason, iOS apps Maschine, and the list goes on forever. Droid vs iPhone, iPad, Mac vs PC. Its ridiculous.

So what if one person likes one platform better than the other. I like hardware right now, but I could care less what else is out there. I dont want the other platforms to die. In fact, I for the most part, dont think about them at all.

All these things can co-exisit. Some of these products dont even fit into the same spaces as the ones you say it will kill. You are allowed to pick one and be happy. You are allowed to pick two or three (or more) actually. Nothing has killed anything so far (hardware, software, windows, osx, ios).. its likely that it never will. Get over it. I personally don't want only one option.

(From ADAT to DAW, tape is almost dead and has taken over 20 yrs)
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides View Post
KILLER I SAY!!!

BECAUSE THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MU-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH........
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

MPC Killer, iPAD App Killer, KILLER!!!

The brightest candle does not diminish the others.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFromDenver View Post
BECAUSE THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MU-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH........

This is music not The Highlander. I never hear this type of talk regarding guitars. They even actually look more like swords.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
I know that OP is probably just a random rant but it's actually kind of a good point. There is no substitute for mastering a piece of gear in my opinion, whether it's an sp-202 or an Octotrack or an sk-1.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Because those items are the yard sticks to which others are measured.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
KILLER I SAY!!!

If I remember correctly, the ASR-X was the first big MPC Killer. Next were some random groove boxes by Yamaha, Korg. Then, the almighty MV-8k, fully blown with vga, mouse, etc etc.

Now we have Ableton, Reason, iOS apps Maschine, and the list goes on forever. Droid vs iPhone, iPad, Mac vs PC. Its ridiculous.

So what if one person likes one platform better than the other. I like hardware right now, but I could care less what else is out there. I dont want the other platforms to die. In fact, I for the most part, dont think about them at all.

All these things can co-exisit. Some of these products dont even fit into the same spaces as the ones you say it will kill. You are allowed to pick one and be happy. You are allowed to pick two or three (or more) actually. Nothing has killed anything so far (hardware, software, windows, osx, ios).. its likely that it never will. Get over it. I personally don't want only one option.

(From ADAT to DAW, tape is almost dead and has taken over 20 yrs)

I agree for the most part. I had an MPC1000 and an MV8000 together for a long time. They are insanely powerful synced up. They made up for each others shortcomings and created a super-sequencer/sampler.

Same thing is true with Maschine, I'll get one at some point. I have enough money and resources, the only reason I haven't already is the same reason I traded my MPC off. I wanted to learn one tool and learn it very well. My MV8000 is a very complex machine. I'm glad it is now my dedicated sequencer. I know MPC's inside and out though now.

I do understand why some people make such a big fuss over iPhone vs. Droid though. Because you are pretty much locked into a contract. If that's the case though those people should get a Droid and an iPad. Weirdos......

I have a friend like that. The dumb**** always has to get something opposite of what I recommend even though he has no business making decisions on anything because he sucks at doing research. I bought a used MPC for $500, he bought an SP555 for $850 new...... I told him to get an iPhone because of all the music apps, he buys a Droid something-or-other. Now he's asking me about HP tablets, I just shook my head and sighed.

But yeah, I think most people just pick one thing or the other because they feel they have to have some loyalty. It's a Coke or Pepsi thing. Either that or they are just too dense to wrap their heads around more than one technology at once.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

I also like ads like API Killer, Neve Killer...
Old 8th September 2011
Technology is sold on being "the next big thing". Whether it's something that "kills" tape (an archaic and difficult-to-master recording format), the MPC (an early sampler/sequencer that has fallen behind the pack in terms of technical specs), or the need for real-life guitar amps (which are heavy, get hot, and piss off your neighbors), it's all about replacing the inconveniences and shortcomings of older designs with something that has improved technical specs, or is, at the very least, offers greater convenience.

The marketing relies on emphasizing the technical side because a product so new doesn't have enough real-world users to share their experiences, which, when you're talking about a musical instrument, is absolutely vital. The way we interact with these things is what defines their usefulness; not how much RAM they have, or some other technical mumbo-jumbo. But those hard numbers (eg - RAM, et al) give simple-minded customers a simple-minded reason to spend their money.

You rarely see that kind of marketing hype for something like a guitar, because it is in itself a relatively simple (in terms of the technology that goes into making it) device. Most laymen can understand the principles on which it operates, so for a new guitar to come along and make claims of "killing" the old one, it would have to do something so spectacular that even a person with minimal understanding of the instrument can appreciate it.

At least, that's my take on it. It pretty much boils down to simple marketing for simple people.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
KILLER I SAY!!!

It;s just a trendy thing to say nowadays, just like it is to call someone a "hater" when they dont like something. Why does it gotta be "hate" just because I dont like it? I dont like tomatoes; doesn't mean that I hate them. lol
Anyway, point is, it is just a trend. At the end of the day, people are going to like what they want to like whether something is a 'so called' killer or not.
From a manufacturer/marketing stand point, using "killer" in their marketing generates an interest; it makes you look to see what could possibly rival the gear that you have come to love. You may buy the new product, or you may not, but it still got you to look, just as your title of this thread got me to come in here! lol
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Very well put. I agree totally
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

If my MC808 is dead, then Im a necrophilliac

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search