The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NEW!!! Maschine Mikro - Thoughts? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

NEW!!! Maschine Mikro - Thoughts?

NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : HOME | HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE FOR MUSICIANS, PRODUCERS, DJS, GUITAR AND BASS PLAYERS

Didnt spend too much time with the bigger brother but for some reason i really want this for my laptop setup and live shows.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

i didnt read into it just looked at the pic, i think for the sake of a few inches id reather carry the other one around... its not too heavy..
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Great way to get into Maschine world for less dough. Which is cool. Hip hop shouldn't be a country club.

Also, on the opposite end of the economic spectrum, a cool second travel Maschine for those who want to leave their main machine at home.

Gonna be a hit, I expect.

- c
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

if they sold the controller only for 99 bucks, id pick it up for travel.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

The Mikro and iMaschine are possible game changers as everyone can now get with Maschine.

I've been after a Beat Thang app for iOS for the longest, but the Kangz dragged their heels and now NI have delivered.

If NI continue to build Maschine as a DAW we maybe looking at the cross platform FL Studio of the future.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Can somebody give me some insight as to what the big deal is with Maschine? For years I've been using Battery with several different drum pads, the latest and longest running in my studio being the Korg padKontrol. It does EVERYTHING i believe I would ever need it to do? Plus I got all 1TB of samples on my drives I can use with it which is a hell of alot more than 6GB.

Always kind of viewed this product as not very professional, and sort of the "easy-way-out" to programming drums.

From what I see

Battery @$90 new
padKontrol @ $175.00 new
$265 total and scavenging the world for samples seems like a more cost effective and versatile way of producing drums. That's like $300 savings over Maschine if I'm not mistaking. I can use it in most any DAW/production environment I want, and I'm not stuck working in Maschine's interface.

Let me know if I'm wrong in assuming this?
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

looks sweet
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

If the Maschine Mikro was meant to be portable then they should include a Mikro gigbag with it????? FREE!!!
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofreak View Post
The Mikro and iMaschine are possible game changers as everyone can now get with Maschine.

I've been after a Beat Thang app for iOS for the longest, but the Kangz dragged their heels and now NI have delivered.

If NI continue to build Maschine as a DAW we maybe looking at the cross platform FL Studio of the future.

WOW!! That's big!!

AKAI have definitely put themselves way out of the picture to the Maschine!!!

Last edited by krismasters; 6th September 2011 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: grammer lol
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

I own a maschine. The knobs are crucial without them the ergonomics will suffer badly. g
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
Can somebody give me some insight as to what the big deal is with Maschine? For years I've been using Battery with several different drum pads, the latest and longest running in my studio being the Korg padKontrol. It does EVERYTHING i believe I would ever need it to do? Plus I got all 1TB of samples on my drives I can use with it which is a hell of alot more than 6GB.

Always kind of viewed this product as not very professional, and sort of the "easy-way-out" to programming drums.

From what I see

Battery @$90 new
padKontrol @ $175.00 new
$265 total and scavenging the world for samples seems like a more cost effective and versatile way of producing drums. That's like $300 savings over Maschine if I'm not mistaking. I can use it in most any DAW/production environment I want, and I'm not stuck working in Maschine's interface.

you're set up is way better dont waste your money...the only thing your wrong about is not being able to use it in any daw, it opens stand alone or as a plugin
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

From what I see

Battery @$90 new
padKontrol @ $175.00 new

You can load any samples you like into Maschine. It will also record samples like an old skool sampler. It is nice that you can make a beat on Maschine without looking at the computer monitor or using the mouse. It can be a very quick way of working once you learn it. The sequencing features of Maschine are also very quick and easy to use. I like it.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderdan View Post
you're set up is way better dont waste your money...the only thing your wrong about is not being able to use it in any daw, it opens stand alone or as a plugin
The ergonomics and full integration of Maschine benefits me so I think it can benefits others.

Mikro Maschine seems super cool at the right price. The 400msrp is cool if it retails at $300. If they are going after the new guy market I think it is attractive. A student edition at $200-225 could be enticing. If they want Mikro Maschine to be successful at all they have to price it very aggressively.

I don't have an iphone so that app dont help me. They need to push it to some other phone platforms (android - which I am sure is coming and wp7 would be nice cause I am rocking one of those right now).

All that being said, I wish I could get on NI's website to load.

Last edited by teksama; 6th September 2011 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: mispelled mikro
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think noggin is Jeremy ellis.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:

From what I see

Battery @$90 new
padKontrol @ $175.00 new

I thought the same thing..."what's the big deal?", until I saw Maschine live and in person.

I own at least 10 midi controllers including a padkontrol, but I still wanted Maschine after seeing it.

It's basically a controller/software combo designed to have workflow as easy or better than an MPC...not just playing the pads but all the editing, sequencing, etc can be done directly from the controller without even looking at the computer. That's a major feat.

The only reason I've resisted the temptation is:

1. Without hardware midi in/out or a built-in audio interface in the controller, maschine is a bit of a closed system and still feels a little overpriced. It's the same price as a MPC but I still have to supply the audio interface and computer...come on man.

2. I have my own library of drum sounds built up over a gazillion years. I don't need any more drum kits.

3. I have a padkontrol, launchpad, and ableton, so I can do pretty much everything maschine does, but a whole bunch of stuff the maschine will NEVER be able to do.

Those 3 things did cost me less than Maschine. (Ableton Live $229 on special + $130 launchpad + Padkontrol $75 off craigslist), but if I was just starting out and needed a quick way to dive into making beats, Maschine would be the quickest-easiest-least-hassle-in-setup way of doing it...and that's what you're really paying for.

If the new Mikro is really small and around $200-250 (academic version or second-hand) I might grab one next year just to play in coffeeshops or on trips.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

MPC-1000 Jj os2 Battery - using the MPC-1000 to trigger the same drum setup mapped sets in Battery, Sampla, Poise, Beatthing........It's a rap.

I have many options but I mainly use Battery as my Plug of chioce.
No need for a PC, just using the MPC 1000, when you do PC- Battery opens as a stand alone as well as in most daws, no restrictions or limitations.

I also have the option of using a Alesis real drum pad controller [ Midi IN ] into the MPC 1000 or Battery as well.

If the price was lower I might conceder the Mikro Maschine just to have one, but for now it's not needed or missed IMO,
& blessings.
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Head

Bumping this, as I don't believe this deserves a new thread:

I'm trying to step sequence a melody on the Mikro. Once I've punched in the steps, how can I edit the individual steps' pitch from the controller? Is this even possible? I haven't been able to figure this out so far - the manual seems kinda vague about this...
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol Ctrl View Post
Bumping this, as I don't believe this deserves a new thread:

I'm trying to step sequence a melody on the Mikro. Once I've punched in the steps, how can I edit the individual steps' pitch from the controller? Is this even possible? I haven't been able to figure this out so far - the manual seems kinda vague about this...
are you saying you want each step to be a different key? is this one instrument you're trying to sequence?
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolafish View Post
are you saying you want each step to be a different key? is this one instrument you're trying to sequence?
Basically, as far as I can tell, on the full size Maschine, you can drag, for example, Massive onto a pad and sequence that using the step sequencer. Then, holding down the desired pad/step, you can pitch that using one of the knobs. I am looking for this function on the Mikro, although I'm starting to think it may just have been omitted. Which would be disappointing.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

I owned the Mikro MKI for a good while. I really liked the software (only bit of software I've ever owned outside of Logic 9) but, after I got used to it, I noticed the lack of physical controls big time. I'd love to own Maschine again but I'm waiting for the full-size MKII to come down in second-hand price before I jump back on it.
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by medearis View Post
I owned the Mikro MKI for a good while. I really liked the software (only bit of software I've ever owned outside of Logic 9) but, after I got used to it, I noticed the lack of physical controls big time. I'd love to own Maschine again but I'm waiting for the full-size MKII to come down in second-hand price before I jump back on it.
I understand that and was on the fence for a long time. However, I ended up deciding that the Mikro was more than adequate for my current needs (on the road a lot and limited studio space, mainly). And apart from the aforementioned step sequencer annoyance, it has been excellent. Still planning on getting a big MK2 without the software second hand at some point.

FWIW, in case any one is wondering, this is my current workaround for editing step sequencer events on the Mikro.

- Load a sound source (sample, Massive, etc) onto a pad.
- Enter step sequencer mode and program the desired pattern. It will obviously all be in the root note.
- Enter keyboard mode and select the event you want to edit.
- Using Shift + Semitone +/-, pitch the event to the note you want.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search