The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
good/best headphones Studio Headphones
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

good/best headphones

im looking to buy some new headphones for home recording, specifically for rap vocals(if it makes a difference)

i would just use them for hearing myself while i record and amateur mixing

my budget is a few hundred dollars, any advice is appreciated. thanks.

p.s. - i wasnt sure where to put this thread
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

My recommendation is the Denon AH-D2000 in that budget range. you should be able to find some for under 300 if you search diligently. these have by far the most accurate frequency reponse of nearly any headphone, particularly in the bass/sub-bass range and have super low distortion. even for a lot more cash you're not going to find anything quite comparable (though there are some other really good ones out there like the ath-m50's from Audio Technica).

anyhow, check out the frequency response for the denon's (the ath's are thrown in for good measure)—you can see how flat they are down to about 25hz, which is pretty ridiculous:

Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

good/best headphones

Freq response is important. But so is comfort. Don't buy anything you can't exchange or demo first.

My vote is akg. Any closed back akg... BEST in terms of long session use. Nice long chord... Very modular and therefore parts are easily replaceable.

I had a pair of audio technicas with really kick ass sound, but as long as some sessions went, they would give me sore ears... Then eventually broke. Since switching to akg I would never look back. Like I said, specs aren't everything.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I own the Beyerdynamic dt 770s and am a huge fan of them
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRPS View Post

+1
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

You're going to get alot of different responses so it really comes down to personal preference. But I have the audio technica ath-m50's and they're the best I ever had. I own the Sony mdr 750's and I used a pair of akg's for a while. The ath-m50's have a very low bass response and clear high end. The Sony's had hyped highs that are night and day compared to the m50's. The akg's were better than the sony's but I don't like them as much as the m50's. They're comfortable. They cover your whole ear. They do get a little hot if wore for hours but they're worth it too me
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

thanks for the replies

looks like i have some shopping around to do...
Old 6th February 2012
Lives for gear
Hey guys, I reserected this thread to ask a question or two about headphones before I buy um (probably buying online, so if I don't like um i'll have to ship them back, I'm trying to avoid that).

In my search threw the GS Archives, I found that the most common headphones to be suggested are the:

Denon AH-D2000
Senn HD 600, and HD 650

I own the Senn HD280's and think they are awesome, but I can't go for over an hour in them without needing a 5-15 minute break so that my ears don't feel like they are going to fall off.

I am looking for something that will be a good reference, and also be comfortable enough to wear for hours on end. I have the Yam HS80's - so if you know what a good reference would be in comparison have at it (I feel like that's kind of an odd thing to suggest ).

Thanks guys.
Old 6th February 2012
Lives for gear

+1 for sennheiser HD 600

Only negative is they are open ear so no good for laying vocals.
Old 6th February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForWerd View Post
+1 for sennheiser HD 600

Only negative is they are open ear so no good for laying vocals.
I've never had open ear headphones. If I track a condensor in the same room and I am 3 feet to the right of a mic (facing away and towards a desk) would there be pick up issues? I know this would be relative to my listening volume, but at a comfortable volume would this be a issue.
Old 6th February 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRPS View Post
^^ love these. I have the DT880 Pro's and they are by far the most comfortable headphones i have ever used. It must be that pillow made from clouds 'matt weiss quote' on the ear peice. They sound great too.

The AKG synth and all others are great too. For that price and for recording go comfort over everything else within reason.
Old 6th February 2012
Lives for gear
You know i looked up the Beyerdynamic dt 770's, but their price kind of worried me. Good to hear good things, I need to see if i can find them nearby.
Old 6th February 2012
Gear Addict

Very happy with the recent purchase of the ATH-M50's here!

Had the ATH-M30's before these.
Old 7th February 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realziment View Post
+1
I have owned the beyerdynamic dt 770's and I really love them.
Old 7th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
I've never had open ear headphones. If I track a condensor in the same room and I am 3 feet to the right of a mic (facing away and towards a desk) would there be pick up issues? I know this would be relative to my listening volume, but at a comfortable volume would this be a issue.
It would be an issue. It may not be immediately noticable, but I think if you soloed vocals layed with open ear vs closed you would notice a big difference.
Old 7th February 2012
Gear Maniac

DON'T mix in cans.

Peace.
Old 7th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kre8 da RedBeerd View Post
DON'T mix in cans.

Peace.
No one here is saying anything about mixing in cans.

Read the thread.

PEACE.
Old 7th February 2012
I own a AKG 240 pair. Recently I bought two pair. A Sennheiser HD201 (20 euro) and a sennheiser HD203 (neodynium driver). I really like the HD201. It's very comfortable, affordable and sounds great.

I have used Beyer, AKG, Sennheiser in the past and I do own quite a few high end monitors.... The HD201 is a great bang for the buck. I feel very confident about it's sound.
Old 7th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
You know i looked up the Beyerdynamic dt 770's, but their price kind of worried me. Good to hear good things, I need to see if i can find them nearby.
Guitar center has em. I'd get on their mailing list and wait til they send you coupon. They're expensive for sure. I waited for a couple years to get a pair but once I did I really regretted not getting them earlier.
Old 7th February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
Guitar center has em. I'd get on their mailing list and wait til they send you coupon. They're expensive for sure. I waited for a couple years to get a pair but once I did I really regretted not getting them earlier.
I get emailed their coupons all day Plus I get a 10% discount because of my school.

That's awesome though. I'll have to go check them out.
Old 7th February 2012
Here for the gear

Beyerdynamics dt770's are my favorite. I have heard the Audio Technica ath-m50's, I'd vouch for them if the 770's were out of your price range (although it's really only 40-50 dollar difference.) I also have some Beats by Dre pro's, the bass is pretty cool for casual listening, but it's nothing I'd ever check a mix in hahaha.

EDIT** forgot about comfort. It's very easy to forget the 770's are on your head, they're extremely comfortable. Beats By Dre's will squeeze your eyes out of your sockets after 35 minutes, and the ATH M50's are quite comfortable as well.
Old 8th February 2012
Gear Addict

I'm just on the verge of buying a new pair of headphones and from what I read the Beyerdynamics Dt 880's are supposed to be more "neutral" than the 770's which some say they have an overpowering low-range/bass frequency...Is this true? Has anyone tested and compared the 880's with the 770's ?
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

I love the MDR7506..Sony

They don't have super crazy bass response, but I've used them for years and I wouldn't trade em for anything. Another cool thing about them is that Sony sells every single part individually so that you can repair without having to buy another set of cans.
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
I'm just on the verge of buying a new pair of headphones and from what I read the Beyerdynamics Dt 880's are supposed to be more "neutral" than the 770's which some say they have an overpowering low-range/bass frequency...Is this true? Has anyone tested and compared the 880's with the 770's ?
I've heard the same but can't confirm it first hand. It only makes sense though since the 880's are open back and the 770's are closed.
Old 8th February 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
I've heard the same but can't confirm it first hand. It only makes sense though since the 880's are open back and the 770's are closed.
So in your opinion...what's more important? Having that perfectly sealed isolated closed can with 770's for tracking and whatever else? Or sacrificing some of that isolation with 880's for a more "opened" can which would perhaps pull back on the bass a tad? Just curious...thanks
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
So in your opinion...what's more important? Having that perfectly sealed isolated closed can with 770's for tracking and whatever else? Or sacrificing some of that isolation with 880's for a more "opened" can which would perhaps pull back on the bass a tad? Just curious...thanks
That would depend what you are doing. If you are using them for tracking you want closed ear, if you are using them only for mixing, then an open ear could be the option for you.

I plan on getting closed ear, open ear sounds nice and all, but I do a lot of tracking, and I mix on my monitors, the headphones are just a reference. If I had to mix only in headphones I would probably get open ear.
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
My opinion and experience is that the 770's are the headphones for hiphop.
Although I don't have experience with the 880's, I know of lots of other producers, some that make major label joints, that use the 770's. Thats why i say 'my experience'.
Obviously they are not using them for a final mix tho.

The bass and isolation is a definite plus. You are sacrificing some evenness across all frequencies against the 880's, because of closed back/open back. Not a big deal as far as I'm concerned.
I had an upcoming producer (he's signed to kane beats, the building) that I follow on Facebook post the question 'what headphones do you use' recently. Not surprisingly there was like 15-20 people that said 770's out of about 30 replies. And all the other headphones mentioned were all different brands and models.
Old 8th February 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
I own both buddy. I had the 7 first. I still love them when tracking. The 8 are not exciting very very flat. Don't expect hi fi experience you will be dissapointed. Both are great and super comfortable. The 7 are a bit more lively for sure.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Gearslutz.com
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search