The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any tips for ducking?
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Any tips for ducking?

Plugins that make it simple stupid?

Things to look out for?

I can only seem to get good results with Ableton's stock comp. This does me no good since i like to mix in logic. <---dilemma
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Any tips for ducking?

Logic's stock comp
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Softtube Dynamite plug. GREAT!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by = F$ = View Post
Plugins that make it simple stupid?

Things to look out for?

I can only seem to get good results with Ableton's stock comp. This does me no good since i like to mix in logic. <---dilemma
Ducking what from what and to what end? That influences the variables a lot.

If we're talking ducking the bass under the kick watch out that you don't lose the groove and "weight" of the low end. I pretty much don't do this unless it's as an effect - like a pumping thing on 4-on-the-floor types of tracks. I just wrote an article on that kind of stuff, I'll link when it's published.

Most common place I'm using ducking is something behind the snare - I find there's more fighting of space going on there. This is only if I need multiple things sounding really big - and particularly if I'm going to be running for a loud master. Synth pads, or string pads, or acoustic guitar stuff, or other midrange leads I might duck behind the snare. I'm setting the release time on the compressor just long enough to let the initial body of the snare shine through, then it's right back up. I want the impact of the snare to distract from weird dynamic reduction.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

It helps to have a lot of lower back and neck flexibility -- you don't want to strain something -- so you might want to start a stretching regimen. Also practice makes perfect: have a friend throw tennis balls at your head and try to dodge them without using your hands.

Oh damn, I misunderstood the question. Spend a lot more time reading up on the sidechaining part of the manual -- I remember not really understanding it at first, but after about an hour of dedicated practice it was pretty easy. (The technique was easy. Sounding good is another story, but making the technique simple is always nice.)
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

whoever that is in your avi is bad as **** folk

but i digress...i'll try my luck with the stock logic comp again

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search