The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Destroying a mix Special Ef­fects Plugins
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

Destroying a mix

I want to intentionally have a tune cross over to complete oblivion as it plays out a repeating groove at the end of a song. Any ideas how I might do this? So far I thought I would bus the entire mix and then automate some very heavy compression and bit-shredding distortion and reverb (or something!?) and have it cross over (fade up) and as the clean mix fades out. I own a lot of plugins - Waves, UAD, NI, etc and I use Logic 9 but I've never tried to achieve this effect. Any ideas on a good place to start with plugins?

Thanks!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

There's actually a free plugin called "Glitch" that does this very well.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidernook View Post
I want to intentionally have a tune cross over to complete oblivion as it plays out a repeating groove at the end of a song. Any ideas how I might do this? So far I thought I would bus the entire mix and then automate some very heavy compression and bit-shredding distortion and reverb (or something!?) and have it cross over (fade up) and as the clean mix fades out. I own a lot of plugins - Waves, UAD, NI, etc and I use Logic 9 but I've never tried to achieve this effect. Any ideas on a good place to start with plugins?

Thanks!
cross fade to white noise
that is where you will end up if you do all that other stuff
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Destroying a mix

It's too bad you didn't ask me back in '97... I was destroying every mix I touched back then!! :p

On the real:
Glitch is a good idea, except I'm pretty sure that's pc only... Could be wrong but that's what I recall.

For mac try effectrix. Not free but good nonetheless. A bit of a Swiss army knife of compositional fx.

Likewise, logic stock sounds can do a good job or going overboard if needed. Bit crush, tape delay w flutter, overdrive/guitar amp sims... Poorly timed gates. The list of possibilities is endless.

Izotope vinyl can ruin too w noise... That's a freebee.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

decapitator set to punish
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleburger View Post

BINGO!!!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Destroying a mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleburger
Then automate mix and drive?!? Yeah.
+1
Very good call.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Amazing. I'll check these out right now!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I thought a more interesting approach would be to consider all the elements of the "good mix" and then methodically make them "bad"... for example slowly misaligning vocals with the rest of the mix, having drums skip beats and eventually play in completely incomprehensible sequence, manipulating the tempo of the whole composition, panning, balance etc. Introducing "wrong" notes to the tune, and ultimately it becoming entirely atonal. Then perhaps towards the end actually chopping the audio in these tracks. The mechanical alteration of the audio files being the last stage, after the content of the audio deteriorates first.

In any case, I went through this scenario in my mind, and thought that accomplishing an effective "destruction" of the mix could actually be much harder than it sounds at first. I would be curious to hear how you tackle that task.

p.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

I just bought the SoundToys bundle and there are some really great tools in here. Especially Decapitator. It absolutely destroys a mix! Thanks again for the tips.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

give it to 10 $ 'mastering geezer' from da block, nearby...
and tell them you want it mega loud
or, even don't say a thingheh
it will do wonders

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search