The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Backwards Mixing
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Head

Backwards Mixing

Hey Guys,

there is special technique called backwards mixing. It refers from back in the days when there were 24-Track Reel-to-Reel in the studios. The complete song was played backwards while copying them and mixed it that way.

Michael Stavrou (AIR Studios London) writes about it in his outstanding book "Mixing with your mind" which I wholeheartedly have to recommend to everybody who wants to wrap his head around creative mixing.
Mixing with your Mind

Why would you want try "Backwards mixing" ?

1. Your focus changes complete because you don`t concentrate on the attacks but on the tone
2. You are able to mix like someone else.
3. Fun and experimentation

Is there an easy way to accomplish that in Nuendo/Cubase or PT (only the audio parts of course, not the VST) ?

A workaround would be to print each and every track (from beginning to end) and reverse it.

For sure I want to try this one......

Cheers,
Stanley

Last edited by Klangarchitekten; 4th September 2011 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

I'm wondering what implications this has for Compression? Your attacks become your releases, and your releases are your attacks!?! Does that mean you can set a release time that actually becomes a look ahead attack when you turn the tape back the right way?
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

Obviously youd have to print to tape/disk again for that to work, but then you'd be stuck with whatever setting you had.

Maybe just backwards mixing for eq then set compression and other effects when you turn the tape the right way back.

Sorry I havnt read the article yet
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

in general this is a really helpful book! I red red it many times and still can find something new and fresh
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

brilliant book. I've bought it twice when my first went missing in Malta..

recommend it to everyone.

Zz.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

i've found reversing things can be useful for generating melodic ideas while composing if you get stumped trying to write a part. it definitely gives you a different perspective!
Old 5th September 2011
DAH
Lives for gear

I can see no way to make a complete mix this way. as said, compression
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

There is also backwards masking. You can record vocals when the tape is playing backwards. Sort of like a subliminal message. KRS ONE had it on return of the boom bap. I forget what song it is but if you spin it backwards on vinyl he says "lyrically im the one and only". It is inaudible when played normally. Subliminal messages anyone....
Old 5th September 2011
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ton splash View Post
There is also backwards masking. You can record vocals when the tape is playing backwards. Sort of like a subliminal message. KRS ONE had it on return of the boom bap. I forget what song it is but if you spin it backwards on vinyl he says "lyrically im the one and only". It is inaudible when played normally. Subliminal messages anyone....
I like the reverse reverb more)
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
I can see no way to make a complete mix this way. as said, compression
I understand your concerns.
I think Stav can tell it best...here is an excerpt from his book.

"...Then, I`d take that mix, turn it over to finally hear it forward again. To my surprise, all the tone in the track would be perfectly balanced, plus you`d get all the transients slamming you in the face as an extra bonus.
It was like, "Wow, did I do that? I couldn`t make it that punchy if I tried." And only because I`d desensitised myself to the transients by looking at sound coming the other way- from the inside out.
The drums and transient components of everything were louder than expected by the tomes all over were fine.

Maybe you`ll have to modify the Drums and transient a bit, but the point is that you`ll get a completely different perspective of mixing. It`s all about creativity. Give it try !!

If you like it keep & modify the technique.
If you don`t like it - drop it.
Old 5th September 2011
restpause
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
I'm wondering what implications this has for Compression? Your attacks become your releases, and your releases are your attacks!?! Does that mean you can set a release time that actually becomes a look ahead attack when you turn the tape back the right way?
Something like that, yeah. You compress as normal, but the result is look ahead attack times. (with the exception of waveforms that are normally backwards).
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm the backwards man the backwards man, I can mix faster faster N you can I'm the backwards man the backwards man!

YES!

I do weddings and Bar Mitzvahs!hehhehheh

Peace
Illumination
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post

I do weddings and Bar Mitzvahs!hehhehheh

Peace
Illumination
What is this supposed to tell us? Is it a kind of joke ?
Sorry I don`t get it.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangarchitekten View Post
What is this supposed to tell us? Is it a kind of joke ?
Sorry I don`t get it.
Ah, I see you aren't a Tom Green fan.

Here's the youtube link:

I have actually tried backwards mastering and yes mixing.

As far as my feelings on it..........

Peace
Illumination
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Ah, I see you aren't a Tom Green fan.
As I am not an american - I don`t even know him.
Thanx for sharing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search