The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Say what they will. I dont care anymore. Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Say what they will. I dont care anymore.

Yeah, for years now I've been feeling guilty about my production, like I'm cheating, but I can't run from it anymore. lol It's actually a beautiful thing. Screw it.
I figure I was producing for about 7 years before I got my first computer set up in 2002. Before that it was ( after the dr-550 lol) the mpc60, a turntable and a crappy keyboard. I had owned TWO vinylistics cd's which had my 808's covered and a handful of kits and loops that I played out pretty quickly. Basically, like everyone else, I took my **** off records (namely my step-pop's collection of old funk, a la Ojays, JB, AWB....like most.)
I spent my time spinning that damn wheel on the mpc to trim samples like most everyone. lol
Then I started f---in with Acid 2 and at first I was in heaven, but then the guilt came in. Don't get me wrong, I've made some jams on computer and continue to, but I find myself doing "xtra" work sometimes, if you know what I mean.

Anyone else do that?? Like flip a sample too much, when it actually sounded better the way it was?

Well no more. It ain't my fault they got millions of production companies coming out with millions of sample cd's...recorded on vintage tape machines, perfectly cut, in rex format so you could just stretch it to any beat instantly like magic!! Yeah, it's true, I could just close my eyes and throw a drum loop, a bass loop, and a piano loop and have a track ready to go..but so what.
and before electricity they banged on wood...so what? This is what it is. It's like mechanics nowadays. Most of them couldn't put a carborator together these days, but they are still working on cars. One of them could still probably build a bad ass machine with twin injectors...
You STILL have to make a dope song. It's not like everybody is doing that, in fact many say it's gotten worse...I say the new state of the game has only helped production and its only getting better ....and ike I've said before they dont have a program that can flow yet,

So, all I'm saying here is if anyone can relate to what I'm saying......f--- it embrace this beautiful time. cut and paste your ass off .......because that's only the beginning of the work.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

and vst's--besides the compressors and eqs--I'm all about the presets! haha (I'm buggin'....need to get back to work.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

+ you don't have to pay clearance fees :-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search