The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Some relevant questions.. about hip hop hardware and instruments Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Some relevant questions.. about hip hop hardware and instruments

Hi, i'm youngVercio and i'm new in here. I started music production something like a month ago, and i'm using that stupid program that is FL Studio. I know many people say " you're crazy " when start reading this, but i do really wanna start my producing experience, not with a heartless software, but with some hardware.

As you could understand, since i started the post right here in the hip hop section, i need instruments for Hip Hop production.

What do i need to start something? What instruments i should buy?
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

I think the question you need to answer is......what instruments can i play?

Theres no point people recommending bass guitars/electric guitars, if you can only play keys.

Likewise, if you can't play keys, then analogue synths might not be the way to go.

but as a starter i'd suggest;

Drums - MPC is pretty legendary for drums, sampling and sequencing, various version, none of which i am familiar with, but it seems you cant go too far wrong for hip hop with one of these.

Bass - Fender Precision Bass.

Guitar - Telecaster (i've got a 72 re-issue, and love it, the humbuckers are good for clean or dirty)

Keys - Not too sure as my experience is mostly Computer based, but If you are talking real instruments, then a fender rhodes, some kind of piano, and a hammond, are your classic 'Live' instruments.

Synths - there are sooo many directions to go with these, but something with Moog in the title would be a good starter.

Or bridging the gap, maybe a triton keyboard? not sure how they are rated in the hip hop world. but they'll have a ton of sounds in, some more 'real' sounding, other more synthy

Where else do you want to go? Brass? String Section? Woodwind? they've all been used in hiphop before, but i'm guessing you dont wanna spend years learning to play all these. So some kind of keyboard would probably give you a good start.

So the bear bones i'd say, would be an MPC for drum and sequencing, and a keyboard/synth or two.

im sure other people will have good suggestions for makes/models

But just because you dont like FL studio, doesnt mean software is not for you......have you tried the demos of reason? that'll give you everything in one package and is a lot more intuitive than FL from what i've seen
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Okay, seems like i understood everything. Now i'm gonna ask a very ignorant thing. Is it so obvious that i need oscillators and mixers for sound?

The truly ignorant question is: Okay, i know what MPC is, i know what keyboard i should buy, but how i match them? How i can compose with both at the same time, and, where i save my project?

I feel terribly stupid even for asking these.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Oscillators: Yes
Mixers: Yes

How you get them.......well.......oscillators are a part of synths and will be built into keyboards, so you dont need to worry about buying them per say.

Mixers can be useful but not vital, depending on how you want to record things.

I've not used an MPC before, but as far as i can tell, they are capable of recording long passages of audio as well as short samples? i might be wrong here, but im guessing there is a finite amount of record time depending on what model, and what hard drive, disk drives it has?

So what i would look at doing is, hooking the keyboard and MPC up via midi, and recording the audio output of your keyboard back into the MPC.

but i think at this stage you need to do a bit more research rather than asking every question that comes into your head.

There will be plenty of youtube videos about MPCs and keyboards im sure, and a few searches on this website, might bring up some similar posts.

Its a big can of worms you are opening, and will take a lot more research than people here can provide. Ask very specific questions about bits of gear and im sure people will help, but just general 'how do i produce beats' type questions wont get you many replies.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungVercio View Post
Hi, i'm youngVercio and i'm new in here. I started music production something like a month ago, and i'm using that stupid program that is FL Studio. I know many people say " you're crazy " when start reading this, but i do really wanna start my producing experience, not with a heartless software, but with some hardware.

As you could understand, since i started the post right here in the hip hop section, i need instruments for Hip Hop production.

What do i need to start something? What instruments i should buy?
Why stupid? is that your personal opinion or are you repeating something you've been reading?

Working with Hardware does add something in the sonic departement but keep in mind you'll need a lot of gear to make it work (once you have a couple of synths and modules you'll need at least some sort of mixer, you'll still need a decent interface for you computer if you want to record you tracks... ).

Since you're just starting out and are interested in hardware I'd also advice you to take a look at reason: it's a soft so you dont need tons of stuff to get started and it simulate a rack of hardware gear in a realistic way.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahuel View Post
Since you're just starting out and are interested in hardware I'd also advice you to take a look at reason: it's a soft so you dont need tons of stuff to get started and it simulate a rack of hardware gear in a realistic way.
reason is great program, its probably my fav software or at least tied with pro-tools.

for different reasons.

reason is great for making beats,

pro-tools is great for recording audio and editing and mixing.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

oh and check this website#

tweakheadz.com
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahuel View Post
Why stupid? is that your personal opinion or are you repeating something you've been reading?

Working with Hardware does add something in the sonic departement but keep in mind you'll need a lot of gear to make it work (once you have a couple of synths and modules you'll need at least some sort of mixer, you'll still need a decent interface for you computer if you want to record you tracks... ).

FL Studio is a stupid DAW to me right now not because of FL Studio itself but because of me. I started a month ago, so i found him stupid. But, i know there's a lot of professional producers who use it, and does something with that i can never make right now.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
FL Studio is a stupid DAW to me right now not because of FL Studio itself but because of me. I started a month ago, so i found him stupid. But, i know there's a lot of professional producers who use it, and does something with that i can never make right now.
i used flstudio for a long time and produced some good results with, but I find a number of frustrations with it.

maybe you could list some specific things that are "stupid" and we could help?
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
but I find a number of frustrations with it.
That's why i hate it right now. I don't said FL Studio is stupid, to me is because of how i use it.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's why i hate it right now. I don't said FL Studio is stupid, to me is because of how i use it.
its good for making beats in, but I found fleshing it out into a full tracking frustrating. due to the way the arrangement works in it. (bear in mind I'm talking a few versions back now)

and mixing was a bit weird as well, all the channels being stereo.

but its really quick for getting a vibe going.
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

I have to second oxide on tweakheadz.com, great place to get started and really helpful with routing tips, what to look for, etc.

FL is a great program if you take the time to really learn it inside and out, and it was my go-to when I was PC based, but it does take time.

Also make sure to check out some soft synth plugins man, I know you want to go the hardware route, but as a beginner doing that a lot of your money will be going to mixers, quality converters, etc, because there's no point in going all hardware if the end product is messy due to inexpensive equipment.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Do you know how to really use it yet? Do you know how to make beats? Probably not if you started a month ago. You may not have used it to it's full potential. It's like a baby not liking a xbox controller. Yeah it lights up it's fun for them for 1 minute but they get bored because they don't know what the hell they're doing. (I have a baby girl at home lol) it's like somebody who doesn't know what they're doing w/ a program like fl. It does get boring and discouraging if you don't know what youre doing. I personally don't use it and never have but it's a decent enough program to learn the basics and after you learn the basics you may not care to get hardware. My point is learn it first. Don't think you're beats aren't hot because you don't have a mpc or an analog synth. After you've been with it for say 6 months and you still feel like that THEN get a mpc or whatever. People have made hit songs with FL. Just saying
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Buy an MV8000 or an MV8800 ( imagine an MPC with 8 audio tracks and built in sounds). Trust me if u only buy one piece to center your studio around thats the piece. There is a learning curve but its well worth it. Join Mv Nation and u will have access to thousands of articles of advice and tutorials.
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

The MV is really cool, but my dream is the MPC4000. I like to combine it to a good for black music synth.

Quote:
People have made hit songs with FL. Just saying
I know, i know, i know. Seems like it's the third time i tell you, no, i can't use so well FL Studio.

What about sound modules? What sound module i should buy?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like to combine it to a good for black music synth.
Black Man VST. instant swag
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

There is this thing called Maschine. I hear that it's like a MPC but better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search