The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My new setup - Software help. (SSL/64bit/Waves) Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

My new setup - Software help. (SSL/64bit/Waves)

Okay, I am getting a new portable rig for making my instrumentals on
This will be mainly for making instrumental-ideas and song-ideas on.
No mixing will happen here, and not much recording other than guitars, keyboards and demo-vocals. I have everything at my disposal (plugins) on the actual PTHD.

Already ordered:

- ADK 8600SB laptop (i7 quad core 2,3Ghz - 16GB - 2x 750GB 7200rpm)
- RME Babyface
- Cubase 6
- East West composer pack
- Vocalign Project

I am about to order:

- M-audio studio backpack ($69)
- Native Instruments Komplete 8 ($499)
- Spectrasonics Trillian ($279)
- Auto Tune Evo ($199)
- Waves RenMaxx bundle ($289) (Rcomp, Req, Rverb and more)
- Waves L2 ($199)

1. After getting all this, its pretty much nothing left in my budget for a while... The only thing I really feel I miss in this list is Waves SSL G-master buscomp.. I wish I could buy only that one separate, but you have to buy the whole SSL bundle for $520. Is there any good replacement for this? I am so used to putting the G-master on the StereoOut and then a L2 after it. while putting ideas down/making tracks. (what happens later I dont know, I dont mix) So I am basically looking for another compressor to put on the stereobus. I only use the G-master for that anyways. I make Pop and Hiphop music.

2. I will install both Windows and Cubase in 64bit. All the plugins I've listed support it except Waves..... What to do? Is there a workaround that actually work good in real life (like jBridge or Cubase own bit-bridge)??? If not, I am willing to consider other plugins than waves... but I would really like not to do that. I am addicted to Rcomp, Req, Rverb, L2 and SSL G-master. I am moving from working in a 100% 32bit world, so I am very new to this. Help is MUCH appreciated!

3. Any general tips/suggestions concerning my new setup/order? Everything from plugin tips to how to install everything, East West problems tips/East West how to install, etc...

Thanks a lot in advance everybody!
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

I'm about to order a new laptop from ADK..did u get good suggestions and customer service from them so far?

About compressors/limiters I'd recommend going the free way with Kjaerus or Antress.

I also use the parallel compression from another VST I don't remember right now...if you're interested lemme know and I'll check in the studio computer later.

BTW which model of processor are you buying? do u think that chosing the biggest one will create more heat in the laptop?

Thanks!
Old 7th September 2011
Old 25th December 2011
Gear Maniac

ADK is great. The computer is top notch. Great customer service, help and tips. And the computer came ready to go. I also orded a Cubase 6 update from Cubase 5. That was already installed. Very nice. I would seriously give them 10 out of 10 stars. Recommended.
Old 30th December 2011
I have Cubase 6 running of Win7 64 bit. You are going to need JBridge to run Waves. It's about $14.00 I think still.. Well worth it.. Best of luck

Cheers.
Old 2nd January 2012
Gear Maniac

Im done with Waves... atleast for now. I went for FABFILTER and THE GLUE instead. Very happy with my choices and I recommend it to everyone. As good as if not better than Waves. To all the people on here that recommended me this, thank you so much!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search