The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD 2 Solo Laptop Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

UAD 2 Solo Laptop

Im thining about purchasing a Uad 2 Solo Laptop now that they have "Full Rtas Support"
Im running a MBP 2.8Ghz
8GB Ram
500HDD
PT 9
Logic 9

I need the Pros and CONS people
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGlown View Post
Im thining about purchasing a Uad 2 Solo Laptop now that they have "Full Rtas Support"
Im running a MBP 2.8Ghz
8GB Ram
500HDD
PT 9
Logic 9

I need the Pros and CONS people
Pros and Cons in comparison to what exactly? The last thing I want to see this thread turn into is another DSP vs Native plug-in b**** fest.

In comparison to nothing else, the product is great. Only real Con about the Solo Laptop if you had to name one, would be it's DSP power. Depending on your typical size of mix projects, and how you plan to use each plugin, you may need more DSP power than the SOLO can provide.

If UAD plugs are going to be your main goto, it will be worth your while to look at the UAD satellite DUO. They should have comparison charts on their website that you can reference to get an idea of how much power each UAD 2 product packs.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

UAD plugs are great. The only con is the money imo, not cheap, but worth the price.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

I have some waves plugs but i hear the UAD are exceptional ive never heard them except for once when i was in class and my instructor played a mix of his with them which sounded so warm and in your face personally im questioning buying them due to the lack of plugs and the price is crazy with waves having all these deals goin into christmas i dont know but i found it online for $299.99 with free shipping which comes with a an extra plug for free 300 smackers for 4 plugs not bad i saw the chart that says how many plus i can run which mostly i do mixing not too heavy though just rap or R&b occasionally ill have a few class mates send me some rock stuff illl do but nothing over 35 Tracks honestly but that may be the thing ill need EQ,Gates,Comp,Reverb will the Solo Laptop be able to hold up even though i can use some of my native effects

(Sorry its long i know)
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

Thysta

Do you have the Uad Plugins? is there anyway you can send me some of your music that youve mixed with the plugs? and tell me what you did wit them?
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have some waves plugs but i hear the UAD are exceptional ive never heard them except for once when i was in class and my instructor played a mix of his with them which sounded so warm and in your face personally im questioning buying them due to the lack of plugs and the price is crazy with waves having all these deals goin into christmas i dont know but i found it online for $299.99 with free shipping which comes with a an extra plug for free 300 smackers for 4 plugs not bad i saw the chart that says how many plus i can run which mostly i do mixing not too heavy though just rap or R&b occasionally ill have a few class mates send me some rock stuff illl do but nothing over 35 Tracks honestly but that may be the thing ill need EQ,Gates,Comp,Reverb will the Solo Laptop be able to hold up even though i can use some of my native effects

(Sorry its long i know)
The UAD collection of plug-ins is constantly growing at a good pace. We are now just starting to see 3rd party plug-ins make their way to the UAD 2 platform; which is interesting, even though I rather stick to the native version of those plugs.

Universal Audio offers decent deals each month, and every now and then throws vouchers your way for things like $25 off or $50 off depending on the occasion. Christmas and New Years is usually when their best deals of the year go down.

For your type of usage, the Solo Laptop should give you enough DSP power to start with. When your collection of plugs starts to grow, and you start using those certain ones that eat up a lot of DSP, you might feel the need for more power. If that ever happens though, you can always just add a UAD 2 Satellite to your setup and use it alongside the Solo Laptop.

Hopefully I'm making sense here. I'm way passed tired ATM.

Also, for audio examples, check the universal audio website. For each plug-in they have demo videos, so you can check them out in action.
Old 3rd September 2011
Well, just remember that every digital eq is the same, unless they emulate the harmonic distortion. Idk, if UAD does. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some eq's that are based on emulations, because they restrain me to specific q-curves, parameters, and just look cool and that helps my work flow. I personally don't use UAD, but several friends of mine do and love it.

The comps can be cool, but so are the waves cla's and ssl. It's really just preference, but I will say the Fatso is a beast!!!! That by far is one of the most impressive plugs I've ever heard. Outside of that, I don't have much experience.

If your not needing many channels, you might wanna peep the Liquid mix. There is a 16 channel on sale in the classifieds. They had a 32 channel too, but I just purchased it.

Also, you don't need to purchase the focusrite emulations

Sent from my HTC Dream using Gearslutz.com App
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Do you have the Uad Plugins? is there anyway you can send me some of your music that youve mixed with the plugs? and tell me what you did wit them?
If you want to hear mixes done with UAD, check out some of my work, I use UAD plugins almost exclusively, except for some delays and other fx.

You can check my solo projects at Blacmatik and Freematik, plus if you need more I can send you some mixes of other artists I produce, their music is not on my site.

Typical uses of UAD include: Precision Limiter on Mix bus, SSL 4k Buss comp on mix bus, Neve 33609 and 1073 on many vocal busses, Cambridge EQ's everywhere (LOL), LA-2A sometimes on hook bus, EMT250 and Lexicon 224 on aux for vocal reverbs, Dimension D on aux for vocals or bass synth, etc.

I'd tell you more but the game is to be sold and not told LOL
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

PettyCash

yeah they have audio examples but i was looking for maybe raw vocals or female vocals or something of that sort i mostly do rap or singing vox not too much if i do get into drums they are digital rare that i get tracks from bands. id like to purchase the plugs in a bundle but the price is crazy to say the least the compressor bundle is $400 and i have the native Lexicon PCM but im sure the Lexicon from uad sounds WAY better
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

Mista Min
Ive heard that people have been goin into problems with the liquid mix and pro tools 9

hows is running for you?
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freematik View Post
If you want to hear mixes done with UAD, check out some of my work, I use UAD plugins almost exclusively, except for some delays and other fx.

You can check my solo projects at Blacmatik and Freematik, plus if you need more I can send you some mixes of other artists I produce, their music is not on my site.

Typical uses of UAD include: Precision Limiter on Mix bus, SSL 4k Buss comp on mix bus, Neve 33609 and 1073 on many vocal busses, Cambridge EQ's everywhere (LOL), LA-2A sometimes on hook bus, EMT250 and Lexicon 224 on aux for vocal reverbs, Dimension D on aux for vocals or bass synth, etc.

I'd tell you more but the game is to be sold and not told LOL
you stuff sounded good well im nor in the studio im on my mpb now is there a way you could send me like some vox tracks uncompressed and comressed? i want to hear what these things really have to offer
Old 3rd September 2011
Idk, I don't use 9 so much, I have it, but my work flow is a lot better in Logic.

I got pro tools 9 just to be able to colaborate with others...

I got to get on my grizzly and learn how to use it... haven't really had a reason too :/

The only reason to go with liquid mix over uad is price. Other than that, UAD has a greater selection of plugins, but even still the focusrite has very unique choices. If money is a determing issue as it was for me, the liquid mix is not something to ignore. Maybe a more regular pro tools 9 user could chime in.

Oh and we have a UAD2 Duo card at the studio ( which don't use since I mostly mix at home, not at the lab) and according to one of my collegues the duo starts to poop when he tries to load more than 4 Fatsos.

Sent from my HTC Dream using Gearslutz.com App

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search