The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do you handle your MIDI outs & VSTs? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Nut

How do you handle your MIDI outs & VSTs?

First off, I'm a long time lurker but a first time poster (just created my account ! Thanks for great reads.

To further elaborate on my question;
Lets say that we have Kontakt loaded up & we've got 4 midi channels going in to Kontakt. Now you will (hopefully) never EQ/do your magic on piano, violins, cellos & bass with the same settings so I'm wondering how do you handle that?

I find my self using the midis going into Kontakt & creating the beat, after that I create 3 new Kontakt instances and load up the instruments I've used, deleting all but one from the first instance and removing the midi outs.

Also, I'm using FL Studio!
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

I just open multiple instances of Kontakt as needed. Its not nearly as cpu intensive as you might think.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

I actually have an i7-2600k on my PC so I manage, it's my xio (soundcard that doesn't keep up) but I was thinking about laptops running Omnisphere as a better example.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

if i understand your query correctly, you should be sending each instrument inside of the vsti to its own audio output and routing that to its own audio track.

Omni has 8 stereo outs (A - H) so route each of the 8 channels in the Multi tab to its own Out. Setup an audio track and make its input one of the 8 Omnisphere outputs. Granted I am not using FL, but it should me similar, no?
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

Does this help anyone?

Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmondA View Post
I just open multiple instances of Kontakt as needed. Its not nearly as cpu intensive as you might think.
+1 The only issue you'll run into with multiple instances is the amount of RAM it'll consume. If you soundcard is running into issues you can always freeze/bounce the Kontakt instances that are finished and only keep as many "open/loaded" that you system can handle.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search