The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
some noob questions Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 31st August 2011
Here for the gear

some noob questions

if anybody has time to answer please do
i make electrohiphoprnbglitchspacepop type of music
1.What does tracking out your beat mean?

2.Is there any way in Logic to change the pitch of your midi note(e.gkick drum) without having to put it into EXS24?

3.what are common plugins used to make soft synths sound better?

ill think of more questions later
Old 31st August 2011
DAH
Lives for gear

1 recording each part to a separate track to enable individual processing and balancing when mixing
2 do not know
3 there are no such. Get some decent monitoring chain (room acoustics included) and trust your (better off trained) ears.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmat View Post
if anybody has time to answer please do
i make electrohiphoprnbglitchspacepop type of music
1.What does tracking out your beat mean?

2.Is there any way in Logic to change the pitch of your midi note(e.gkick drum) without having to put it into EXS24?

ill think of more questions later
1. Having each sound on its own file from the session. i.e. Kick.wav, Snare.wav, Strings.wav

2.IDK

3. Just learn how to work reverb and eq'ing. Youtube is a GOLDMINE for this.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmat View Post

2. Put on AU Pitch or Pitch Shifter, they're stock plug-ins in Logic. I don't understand your use of the term midi note in this case though, it seems you're a bit confused about it..

3. EQ's, compressors, delays and reverbs are most commonly used, but many interesting effects are applied to synths in modern pop music.. it's one of the places where there's a lot of room to experiment (so get your hands dirty).
Distortion plug-ins are a nice place to look. Try Logics stock plug-in Tape Delay as a distortion if you haven't before.. Set the delay interval to time and 0, move up feedback for increased distortion. The hidden drop-down has some sort of a distortion threshold that makes it work too.
If you want to invest in some cool sound shaping plug-ins, I recommend a bundle from SoundToys. I really like both EchoBoy, Decapitator, Crystallizer as well as their more utilitarian plugs like Pan-Man, Filter Freak etc. Ohm Force does really nice distortion plugs.
You can also try re-amping the softsynths. Find an amped speaker, place it in an interesting room (or an interesting spot in an uninteresting room), place one or more mics more or less creatively and re-record the softsynths. Either use the signal instead of blend in to taste.
But whatever you do, don't underestimate EQ and compression.. It goes a long, long way, and making soft synths sound good is not rocket science.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search