The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
programming shakers Channel Strip Plugins
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Addict

programming shakers

hello guys,

I am struggling with programming drums particularly shakers.. I try to get something similar (in terms of programming not tonality) like this Heartbreak Hotel - YouTube and I end up with rigid shaker line. Can any help out how to get similar shaker rhythm out of one shot sample?
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

No Quantise and overdub single hits using your 16 levels.

Volume variation and groove are key.
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Head

I can't really tell from the youtube soundquality (watching with hidemyass.com) but it might be a real cabassa. I've always wanted one. :-)
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

velocity
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Guru

also don't have them set as one shot.. so the note length plays more or less of the total sample. + shortish release.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
I gave up a couple years ago with programming shakers. The typical keyboard "shaker" sound is actually a cabasa and NOT a shaker. Anyhoo, I gave up and got a cabasa. It's a lot easier to just play the thing and record it than to go through the hell of programming one (unless you want that static sound, which sometimes IS apropriate, but usually not what I'm going for). I use a ribbon mic, but dynamics are also good options for cabasas. Really easy to mic well; you almost don't even need to try. Cabasa = $29.99. No more frustration programming "shakers" = priceless LOL.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
I gave up a couple years ago with programming shakers. The typical keyboard "shaker" sound is actually a cabasa and NOT a shaker. Anyhoo, I gave up and got a cabasa. It's a lot easier to just play the thing and record it than to go through the hell of programming one (unless you want that static sound, which sometimes IS apropriate, but usually not what I'm going for). I use a ribbon mic, but dynamics are also good options for cabasas. Really easy to mic well; you almost don't even need to try. Cabasa = $29.99. No more frustration programming "shakers" = priceless LOL.
Thats a good idea
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post

I got shekere, cabassa, few shakers, 2 maracas, and many other little percussion tools, agree with Chris completely, there's no need to play with mpc quantize or midi programming, when you can get a 'real' thing and have some fun playing it.
important thing about those kind of instruments, is they are always bit off, because that fill inside, so even when you play very tight, you got that off feeling,
playing percussion by the hand also helps you with learning rhythm - full recommendation (although here in Uk cabsa costs me 35 Uk (50 U$, well)
.....this is not America....shala la la la...
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

good point I was thinking about buying some real percussion instruments ages ago to play around but for some reason completely for got about it. Thank you guys!!!! It's time to visit some music shops in the morning
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I definitely dig the actual perc instrument ideas, on one track a while back I made some homemade shakers with a couple of mason jars and popcorn, no quantising that ****!

I have however had success with chopping up shaker loops and just placing audio on the timeline with groovy success too....I think a lot of times with one shots it's gonna sound static, but messing around with different hits of the same shaker in the context of a loop and working the volume and pitch (slightly) as well can have a nice quality I've found
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I agree with Chris.

Maybe its me, but I have always had a headache programming realistic, fluid shakers.

I found that they record really well though. Those lil egg shakers through an $8 mic for example. Worth a shot.

If you want to be real budget... blow out an egg and fill it with rice heh that way you can add / subtract until you get the right swishness.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramil View Post
hello guys,

I am struggling with programming drums particularly shakers.. I try to get something similar (in terms of programming not tonality) like this Heartbreak Hotel - YouTube and I end up with rigid shaker line. Can any help out how to get similar shaker rhythm out of one shot sample?

Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

REAL instruments FTW!!!
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm setting up to blow out a few eggs as we speak.

Have mixed ingredients. Rice, beads, sand etc, with varying depths.

Cheap and easy. Custom shakers for.... i dunno... less than a buck anyhow.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

A plastic cup with coins.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

programming shakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl
I'm setting up to blow out a few eggs as we speak.
Is it me, or does that just sound filthy?!?

It's just me right?

+1 on "they record well"

And here's a fun one: bong full of rice... I'm guessing many of you will only have to buy the rice.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I agree just buy a maraca or two. But if you have to program them, alternate between wide ranging velocities, like 100, 50, 103, 47, 95, 39, etc. depending on the pattern you use. You really need the clear contrast in hi-lo dynamics to make it work. Or just find some samples of a live shaker, chop it up and replay it in your own pattern, that way you get some of the nuances of a real performance.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
Is it me, or does that just sound filthy?!?

It's just me right?

+1 on "they record well"

And here's a fun one: bong full of rice... I'm guessing many of you will only have to buy the rice.
Nah man, sounds filthy, I had a lil pause before posting lol.

Heres my latest batch Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter ... you all know what eggs look like ?! lol
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict
film canister filled with rice or salt or bulgur (depending on what kind of sound you want)

peace
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Wait........ you mean I just painstakingly hollowed 4 eggs + plus a couple disasters.. and all I needed was a film canister? lol.

Haha, yeah man, these all good. Different timbre but cool alright.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post

Man I had to read that twice. Imagine if the cops came around and you had a bong full of rice. haha just having a moment laughin to myself thinking of all the different scenarios that could unfold
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-I-Addict View Post
Man I had to read that twice. Imagine if the cops came around and you had a bong full of rice. haha just having a moment laughin to myself thinking of all the different scenarios that could unfold

haha lateral thought WIN! 100pts
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Just remember folks, the typical "shaker" sound in a keyboard is usually a cabasa and not a shaker.

Personally, I feel like a cabasa, an egg shaker and a tambourine are things that everyone should have as they are the most commonly needed auxillary percussion sounds for people doing urban and pop records. They are all also very cheap for decent quality. You can outfit yourself with all three for about $50 total. I'm not saying that there aren't uses for keyboard versions; there are. But they are all very easy to play, almost idiot proof to record and they are all sounds that keyboards do an absolutely HORRIBLE job of faking. Everyone should go out and buy those three things. Once you get the hang of it, you'll see how easy and fast it is to whip them out and record a couple bars for your song when necessary. You just need a little rhythm...
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpiper0815 View Post
film canister filled with rice or salt or bulgur (depending on what kind of sound you want)

peace
I used to have a few of those filled with my leftover pot seeds. I bet that would work too, lol. Its the secret for that warm, organic 70's vibe. lol
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search