The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advice for beat makers Modular Synthesizers
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Maniac

Advice for beat makers

True in deed god, true in deed!

Rico Love #TTLO | V.Blog 3 - YouTube
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Head

this is oddly inspiring
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

i said it a year ago and ill say it again I think every new rapper/singer/beatmaker/dj/engineerproducer should see this at their 6 month mark.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

this video is a shame, I don't understand the dickriding.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

advice for video makers:

try some decent miking next time.

who is this guy anyway?
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

lol ... How you shooting pool in those welding goggles?

Everyone has moments of doubt... Kanye for example....

Quitters will quit. Who cares.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

The message was very valuable -- except the whole "thinking you should quit means you should quit" thing.* Not to mention wearing glasses indoors (Chris Lago, anyone?) and the quick cuts to him greeting people, which both were just totally cheesy.

* If you never -- even for a minute -- feel like you want to quit, you are either superhuman or not pushing yourself hard enough. The idea is to persevere despite that feeling. His point about not bitching about it was very good, though.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayl View Post
lol ... how you shooting pool in those welding goggles?

everyone has moments of doubt... Kanye for example....

Quitters will quit. Who cares.

lmaoooo
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

he's right tho.. no one cares about ur talent.. if u feel ur better than someone, so what.. u guys are doin exactly what he's talkin bout... sittin here, criticizin his shades... u think he cares? he dont.. he's sayin, dont give up, and u can wear what the **** u wanna wear... everyone is gonna have haters, or someone that disagrees with ur music or whatever... ur job is to be noticed by the people that DO like u and ur music, and reach those people.. end of story... not everyone likes these Oddfuture guys, but SOMEBODY does! they grinded till they were noticed... in other words, they are BUILT for this!

da relic
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

Rico's videos are funny. His generalized opinionated views remind me of Andy Rooney. I hardly ever agree with anything he has to say.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

lol, that video was exactly what I needed today lol.

I actually just quit my day job two weeks ago so I could spend the majority of my energy on music. I had to quit to put in work!

on top of that, I quit smoking, and after being an alcoholic for 11 years, I quit drinking. Quitting all that negative ****, so I can focus on the positive.

and, he's right, if you're not willing to put in the work.....you know the rest. This a full time job. Amen to that.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

lol @ silk.

Nah man... bagging his shades is just light humour, disagreeing with his opinion is not hating but simply disagreeing. Its amazing how that gets twisted these days... like some sort of saftey blanket defending 'artists' from much needed criticism.... "Oh.. he just a hater" .... suckers.

The bottom line is quite simple, moments of self pity, self doubt, introspection and uncertainty are the birthplace for elevation and greatness and at the very least...motivation... if you make it through the other side before you quit.

Having someone say... just quit then could be the worst thing depending how far down the spiral you are..

Not to say quitting's bad. We get fed this 'you can do anything and be whatever you want to be' this is both nonsense and unrealistic for many people in this game, especially if they want to be Dre. At some point a reality check is needed. But there is nothing wrong with taking on role models etc.

Ali & Holyfield had to lose the world titles again and again before they got them back.... a lot of people told them to quit during those times.

BTW... last time I checked.. this industry was driven by Boys and Girls, I guess that was just his way of say 'you need a thick skin' while keeping it hollywood.

Cant wait for his next #REALTALK episode. lol
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I agree with the video 100%. I have had my doubts, had uncertainties, but that didn't mean I was thinking about quitting.

But, I have to define quitting. So many times I just wanted a break from working my ass off to get next to nothing. I have both the job experience and the education to make a good income. I never quit but often times, I want a break and my talk as if I am quitting. Ironically, that is when new opportunities fall on my lap.

That said, if you are willing to sacrifice, especially right now, you are not likely going to gain. If you can't instantly gain, you probably don't want to go through what I have gone through. 24+ nights, 5+ studio's in one day, all over my area, reaping only a few minutes or hours of time that actually benefit you, assuming things don't fall through the cracks (which is often), it's going to be hard to proceed.

I understand why people don't get this, they want to be working with the top of the industry but never did more than social networking and emails. That may get you somewhere but, for most, it won't. Not to hate on the Bay but I may need to move to do anything. They all at broke. Well the people who are broke actually pay me.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

It's just stupid the way he said it.
I would have prefered he said : quitters never win so stay positive and go harder each time you start doubting yourself.

I don't really like the negativity blanket upon his positive message.

There are always moments of doubts.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.S.E View Post
It's just stupid the way he said it.
I would have prefered he said : quitters never win so stay positive and go harder each time you start doubting yourself.

I don't really like the negativity blanket upon his positive message.

There are always moments of doubts.
If you agree with a concept but you don't like the way it is told, it probably means you need to evaluate your situation.

I don't want to talk down, and I am not, but when negativity affects you, you have to figure out why. If you are comfortable, the negatives will not mean much. I am not there, but I get closer ever day. The people I know doing there thing, they don't look at negatives in any real way.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
If you agree with a concept but you don't like the way it is told, it probably means you need to evaluate your situation.
Or maybe it could have been told in a better way...
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

it's all negativity, if his intention was to help people trying to come up he would've put it way more positive, firm... but positive and encouraging.

he's basically just braggin' about how much bull**** he had to take in order to 'make it'.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic View Post
Here is something a little more inspiring than just saying "if you want to quit, then quit". lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aowB5wNPvWQ

"Some of you love sleep more than you love success".
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

^^^ That was awesome
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

who is that training?? That got me out of bed
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic View Post
Trust me, I believe that positive reinforcement is much better than negative reinforcement. I am just saying, if somebody says something that is true, or you perceive or understand as true, but states it negatively, it really shouldn't make a big difference. If it does, and triggers a negative response to you (I am saying the general "you", not you specifically), then there is some underlying doubt. That's fine, you just need to work through it and you become stronger.

This may not be the best example but if somebody tells a grown adult: "graduating elementary school really isn't much of an accomplishment", most people wouldn't find that to be all that negative, though it's a negative statement, because they likely agree. But if they have some surrounding issues about elementary school, they may find that statement to be very negative. I understand music is different in the sense that no matter how hard you work, the likelihood of success is much lower compared to another career.

Then again, my family has been the most negative out of anyone about my music. I got that from the day I started until recently.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

you can't argue with his logic. if you're thinking about quitting, then the game isn't for you. sure, your family/homies, etc. can offer words of encouragement, but no one else will.

The business doesn't care about your personal struggles, unless they translate to a catchy song.

Dude is no Timberland, but he's definitely worked with some top artists: Beyonce, Usher T.I., to name a few.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Trust me, I believe that positive reinforcement is much better than negative reinforcement. I am just saying, if somebody says something that is true, or you perceive or understand as true, but states it negatively, it really shouldn't make a big difference. If it does, and triggers a negative response to you (I am saying the general "you", not you specifically), then there is some underlying doubt. That's fine, you just need to work through it and you become stronger.

This may not be the best example but if somebody tells a grown adult: "graduating elementary school really isn't much of an accomplishment", most people wouldn't find that to be all that negative, though it's a negative statement, because they likely agree. But if they have some surrounding issues about elementary school, they may find that statement to be very negative. I understand music is different in the sense that no matter how hard you work, the likelihood of success is much lower compared to another career.

Then again, my family has been the most negative out of anyone about my music. I got that from the day I started until recently.
I agree with all of this, but you're talking from the perspective of people that actually care about you. Nobody in the business cares about you, so don't count on any positive reinforcement.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooloof View Post
I agree with all of this, but you're talking from the perspective of people that actually care about you. Nobody in the business cares about you, so don't count on any positive reinforcement.
That's my point, from the first post. People say he's being negative. I am just saying if that bugs you, or whenever something negative bugs you, you need to figure out why. In regards to quitting, you either quit, or overcome whatever makes you want to quit, that simple.

And you make a great point. No matter what you think about the video, nobody really is going to take the time to give you personal advice. I mean, some people will take you under their wing, some people you become friends with but they often leave you in the cold when they feel you don't benefit them anymore.

Even when I get a text or email saying something like "beats are dope, send me more". That isn't even positive, per say. Yes, they are showing personal interest (and that may not be the case) but it's still a situation where you didn't get a sale. That means, work harder, push your music harder.

The most negative I really have received is no response, and that's a lot. Nobody is going to take the time to tell you they don't like your beats, unless you are spamming them.

So at the end, it doesn't even matter, very few people will be personal with you anyway. That's not to say you can't have friends you trust, but you need to be wary of their advice as it tends to reflect their personal interest.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Just because he said it like an asshole doesn't mean it's not true. And more importantly WE should be doing this because WE LOVE THIS. Any profit that comes should be considered a blessing.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycash View Post
And more importantly WE should be doing this because WE LOVE THIS. Any profit that comes should be considered a blessing.
On the profit side, I think that is totally dependent on where you are in your career, or lack there of one. If you are getting on albums and people are contacting you, using your work, it's not merely a blessing. It is a lot of work finally paying off.

I also don't think it is fair to say "we love this". I mean, I personally do, but I defineatly don't always love it. I often hate it but that doesn't keep me from moving forward. But, many people do this mainly for money, which is fine, and assuming they make the money, they should deserve what they get, not find it to be a blessing or similar.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
On the profit side, I think that is totally dependent on where you are in your career, or lack there of one. If you are getting on albums and people are contacting you, using your work, it's not merely a blessing. It is a lot of work finally paying off.

I also don't think it is fair to say "we love this". I mean, I personally do, but I defineatly don't always love it. I often hate it but that doesn't keep me from moving forward. But, many people do this mainly for money, which is fine, and assuming they make the money, they should deserve what they get, not find it to be a blessing or similar.
I think you may misunderstand what is meant by "love." No one is happy all the time, even with something or someone they love. you have a GF or a wife? she pisses you off sometimes and you fight, but that doesn't mean you don't still "love" her.

Same goes for this music ****. Sure, you get frustrated and discouraged or even bored, but you still love it. And I don't think many people actually in the game are doing it strictly for the money. Money may determine what type of music a person makes, but a musician loves making music, period. Some pro football or basketball players (free agents) will go to a certain team strictly because of the size of the contract, but they still love the game.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycash View Post
Just because he said it like an asshole doesn't mean it's not true. And more importantly WE should be doing this because WE LOVE THIS. Any profit that comes should be considered a blessing.
You're right about this.

But it means we can rip on him for it. heh
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
The whole keep it positive new age mumbo jumbo is - just that: a bunch of bs, keeping us down.
Seems to me people these days are brainwashed into putting all responsibility for lack of success - no matter how unlevel the playing field is - on themselves and turning art into some neanderthal athletic event. Not that it isn't up to you, but come on, we're getting screwed 24/7 and it's the most ruthless, sociopathic bullies that sucker up to the MAN, while tripping up their musical colleagues that "win". Forget integrity.

The mantra - that the video seems to convey is: Keep smiling while the record company execs piss in your eye and tell you its raining.

I say, look to bands like the Sex Pistols who wrote "EMI" bashing their record company - EMI.
my 2 cents.
Cheers!
Old 8th September 2011
zzz
Gear Addict

its seems looks likes smooth life hiding a wholem,
so im gonna say, just do it, maybe not. because you know what it is.. ha ha ha hah ha, i hope its help !
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search