The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mics for recording claps and other sounds
Old 9th March 2006
Gear Head

Mics for recording claps and other sounds

I am looking for a good quality mic for recording claps and snaps and other percussion sounds. Whats is a good mic in the $500-$1000 range.
Old 9th March 2006
Lives for gear

i use beyers m160s and m130s ribbons with sabra-som stereo mount. Blumlein or m/s.

Much fatter sound for hand claps or percussion. Otherwise AKG 414EB.
Old 10th March 2006
Gear Head

would the c414eb be good for vocals. I have a digi 002 and i would be connecting the mic to 002. Would that work well or do i need to buy a mic pre.
Old 10th March 2006
Gear Addict

Plus know that when recording things like claps, or any sound with a lot of transient using a condenser you need to get some distance from the mic.
(5 feet is a good starting point)
Old 10th March 2006
Gear Head

which mic would be good for vocals and recording claps.
Old 10th March 2006

U87
Old 10th March 2006
Gear Head

those are pretty expensive, i'm trying to spend 800 max.
Old 10th March 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by msolay
those are pretty expensive, i'm trying to spend 800 max.
rode NT2A. very smooth and neutral sounding and has 3 polar patterns (card, omni, fig-8). about $400 street price... so get 2.
Old 10th March 2006
Gear Head

would the akg c414b XLS be better than the rode NT2A for both vocals and claps?
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

I find the NT2a to be rather harsh, and wouldn't want to use it on vocals. Might be ok for a clap sound though. The NT2000 is a huge improvement, and the NTK has that tubey goodness.

There are plenty of excellent clap samples around. Also, the old analog clap machines sound very good. Even software versions. Also try hitting pieces of wood together. Real hand claps can be fairly wimpy and hard to record.
Old 10th March 2006
Gear Head

you need to listen to Slum Village Fantastic Vol. 1
Old 11th March 2006
Gear Nut

You might need some at least half decent room acoustics if you gonna be five feet from the mic, so if you don´t have a proper room you might be better off using some sampled claps. As already stated, there are really tons of that stuff out there...
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Recording handclaps is kind of tricky. I've only monkeyed around with it a couple of times and quickly discovered this.

Here's an awesome Tapeop thread on this topic...

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewt...ight=handclaps
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
U87
Is the U87 really worth all the money?

I've used one once at college, not on my own vocals but recording a bad singer singing blues.

We just had it going straight through a 02R 96 V2 into an RME audio card into Logic. It didn't sound anything special for the money.

Thanks,
Old 14th March 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest19
Is the U87 really worth all the money?

I've used one once at college, not on my own vocals but recording a bad singer singing blues.

We just had it going straight through a 02R 96 V2 into an RME audio card into Logic. It didn't sound anything special for the money.

Thanks,
It's probably the most versatile mic ever manufactured.... You need a good mic pre to get the best results though.
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
It's probably the most versatile mic ever manufactured.... You need a good mic pre to get the best results though.
I was all for it but it was just the price that got me. At college all of the tutors praise those Red Five Audio RV15 mics. They're cheap and the tube sounds cheap to me, except they all think they're just as good as U87.

I'd like to use the mic and record some of my own vocals with it. I'm trying to save up for a mic and a U87 will be on my list.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search