The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sample packs/drum packs
Old 31st May 2011
  #1
Lives for gear
 
RTR's Avatar
Sample packs/drum packs

With all of the different packs out there is there anything that has not been done? or done good enough? what (if anything) would you look for in a sample pack? I am talking from one hits to loops!
Old 31st May 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 

That Traumah drums guy has some crazy drum samples. I think he just samples random sounds in his house with a good quality mic, such as glass breaking, spoons clanking together, water running, just average everyday sounds, but then I think he chops them up and layers them over kicks, snares, hats, etc, and the result is some unique ****. He even got Battlecat to endorse his drums kits.

So if your asking because you want to start selling your own kits, I'd say sample your own unique percussive sounds that no one else has and layer them with some hard hitting kicks/snares etc.

I'll look for some examples of his drums, he's got free kits too on his site.
Old 31st May 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
RTR's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Kaye View Post
That Traumah drums guy has some crazy drum samples. I think he just samples random sounds in his house with a good quality mic, such as glass breaking, spoons clanking together, water running, just average everyday sounds, but then I think he chops them up and layers them over kicks, snares, hats, etc, and the result is some unique ****. He even got Battlecat to endorse his drums kits.

So if your asking because you want to start selling your own kits, I'd say sample your own unique percussive sounds that no one else has and layer them with some hard hitting kicks/snares etc.

I'll look for some examples of his drums, he's got free kits too on his site.
WOW., that sound very interesting..I would defiantly like to hear some of those samples! The one thing that I have noticed with some sample packs like vinyl packs is that I dont know what they did to them, rather it was running them through "high end"gear as a selling point but..the ones I have used really do not sound like a vinyl drum hit...or maybe it is just my hearing..I am going to search for the guy you mentioned because that sounds really cool! I like sampling my own stuff and was just wondering if people had ideas of something new or a way to improve what is already out there!
Old 31st May 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Here's the demo with battlecat, you can get a lot of the sounds he's playing free from his website. You gotta enter your email address though first, and be warned he's gonna spam the **** out of you, lol. He did it to me, but I just downloaded all the free kits and then took my name off his mailing list. The dudes like an infomercial salesman, but his drums are pretty dope, lol. The real kits he sells are priced outrageous, but the free kits sound just as good, imo.

Old 31st May 2011
  #5
Gear Head
 

I'm not sure what I would look for because I sample my own drums and find my own samples... so idk. It's already enough that you're using part of someone elses song, but to have somebody else find them for you is pretty lazy in my honest opinion.
Old 31st May 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 

^I dont sample other ppls songs, so I have no problem using someones drum kits.
Old 31st May 2011
  #7
What Battlecat was doing was a great beat? Gimme a break! It was horrible! The samples were horrible too. He has good beats, that one wasn't one of them.
Old 1st June 2011
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
With all of the different packs out there is there anything that has not been done? or done good enough? what (if anything) would you look for in a sample pack? I am talking from one hits to loops!
-E-labs
-Sounds in HD
-Sonic Specialists
-Hit Kit Vol 3
-Bruce Forat
-Spectrasonics
-Ilio
-CDbaby (808 and 909s are awesome)
-Loopmasters
-Sample Magic
Old 1st June 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

i dont get why people continue to buy these packs. there are so many out there that you can likely buy a few when you start out and likely never need to buy anything else again. I havent bought sounds in years really. I buy records all the time because I like records but keyboard sounds nah. Synth sounds nah. I have Reason with the sonic gold refills with the right use of fx and some good records I really do not need much else.
Old 1st June 2011
  #10
KT1
Lives for gear
 
KT1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest View Post
i dont get why people continue to buy these packs. there are so many out there that you can likely buy a few when you start out and likely never need to buy anything else again. I havent bought sounds in years really. I buy records all the time because I like records but keyboard sounds nah. Synth sounds nah. I have Reason with the sonic gold refills with the right use of fx and some good records I really do not need much else.

It seems like every topic i feel passionately about is being plastered on these forums as of late.

Ok so Drums - Yeh samples..etc..blah blah..Trust me when i say that creating unique kits and samples just takes time. After going through the library creation for my current project i can't imagine buying or using someones samples ever again. The drums in my current project are a staple for the entire sound and the satisfaction and reward for hrs spent processing and programming is well worth it.

GOD BLESS
Old 1st June 2011
  #11
Hobbs_Won
Guest
that dude Traumah is an absolute cornball...

His "sales pitch" videos were a joke... He would load up a stock drum kit on his pads and play them and say "listen, these drums are weak...you can't do anything with them...BUT WHEN YOU GOT TRAUMAH DRUMZZZZ"

and then it would cut scene to him playing his drums out and it was just blatantly obvious he just jacked up the volume on his monitors.

Him and his boy POSTERBOY are a couple of tools who went to a few business/self help seminars and think they can apply their voodoo on the aspiring bedroom beat programmer.

And his drums ARE actually decent but I wouldn't pay 1/4 of the price for them. His free kit would definitely suffice.

for the price Traumah is selling his kit you can get both of Croups Deadly Drums and Filthy Drums (which are better IMO) and still have $40 left for whatever.

Goldbaby has good drums for a great price too.

Or just sample from vinyl!!
Old 1st June 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
RTR's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Xavier View Post
I'm not sure what I would look for because I sample my own drums and find my own samples... so idk. It's already enough that you're using part of someone elses song, but to have somebody else find them for you is pretty lazy in my honest opinion.
I PLAY my own drum kit most of the time, but I was just looking for something fun to mess with, I am far from lazy!
Old 1st June 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 
RTR's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Xavier View Post
I'm not sure what I would look for because I sample my own drums and find my own samples... so idk. It's already enough that you're using part of someone elses song, but to have somebody else find them for you is pretty lazy in my honest opinion.
I PLAY my own drum kit most of the time, but I was just looking for something fun to mess with, I am far from lazy!
Old 1st June 2011
  #14
KT1
Lives for gear
 
KT1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
I PLAY my own drum kit most of the time, but I was just looking for something fun to mess with, I am far from lazy!

Something to mess with - Loops not hits. Drum Drops libraries - Multitracks so you can mix up mic positions etc blah blah..Good to mess with and create a groove..Then extract groove and apply to your midi template TA DA instant hot bounce.
Old 1st June 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 
RTR's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post
Something to mess with - Loops not hits. Drum Drops libraries - Multitracks so you can mix up mic positions etc blah blah..Good to mess with and create a groove..Then extract groove and apply to your midi template TA DA instant hot bounce.
sounds like fun, thanks for the idea!!!
Old 1st June 2011
  #16
KT1
Lives for gear
 
KT1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
sounds like fun, thanks for the idea!!!
Drums are kinda my thin . Dude if i was you i would scratch the libraries go back to vinyl. Instead of chopping single hits search for full kits.

Tracks with a lot of dynamics and if possible solo sections. Once you have get to chopping but chop 2-hit and three hit samples. Then capture as many as you can for a single hit. So for Example say it's a nice snare? Capture 15+ (more the better of this snare one shots. Now get into a drum sampler like battery and listen to it putting it into order of dynamics and also left right strikes on rolls etc. Capture flam and other nuances rims etc. The fact you're taking all of this from the same sample means that the mic positions etc are even and the sound of the kit meshes. Once you have this create battery or sampler templates for snares to be triggered for different synamics on pads or keys. Process what you got! My sound uses a lot of heavy destructive distortion. Most of the Icarus project was ran through a culture vulture. When comp was needed (not often) the entire buss was run through a UBK fatso. I added some fake tape saturation in an unconventional way - I used the Echoboy innit patch and removed all delay with exception of a slight verb when needed and craked gain and saturation on output. Harsh highs were either dealth with with the CV or ran audio into the Moog voyager and used the low pass. just a touch. Eq was mostly a waves puigtec. Kissing needle stuff here. Usually boost the 60 htz i find it brings out the 100 htz funnily enough - Not sure why i'm no engineer. It is musical though for sure. Resample and bam youhave a custom kit and library.

It is time consuming but worth it. The icarus project has 4 main kits created in this way - heavy on the programming..Ta da!
Old 1st June 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
 
RTR's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post
Drums are kinda my thin . Dude if i was you i would scratch the libraries go back to vinyl. Instead of chopping single hits search for full kits.

Tracks with a lot of dynamics and if possible solo sections. Once you have get to chopping but chop 2-hit and three hit samples. Then capture as many as you can for a single hit. So for Example say it's a nice snare? Capture 15+ (more the better of this snare one shots. Now get into a drum sampler like battery and listen to it putting it into order of dynamics and also left right strikes on rolls etc. Capture flam and other nuances rims etc. The fact you're taking all of this from the same sample means that the mic positions etc are even and the sound of the kit meshes. Once you have this create battery or sampler templates for snares to be triggered for different synamics on pads or keys. Process what you got! My sound uses a lot of heavy destructive distortion. Most of the Icarus project was ran through a culture vulture. When comp was needed (not often) the entire buss was run through a UBK fatso. I added some fake tape saturation in an unconventional way - I used the Echoboy innit patch and removed all delay with exception of a slight verb when needed and craked gain and saturation on output. Harsh highs were either dealth with with the CV or ran audio into the Moog voyager and used the low pass. just a touch. Eq was mostly a waves puigtec. Kissing needle stuff here. Usually boost the 60 htz i find it brings out the 100 htz funnily enough - Not sure why i'm no engineer. It is musical though for sure. Resample and bam youhave a custom kit and library.

It is time consuming but worth it. The icarus project has 4 main kits created in this way - heavy on the programming..Ta da!
I do sample vinyl A LOT, I have a MPC and just got back into sampling, I am a drummer by heart, been playing for 26 years, I play all my own instruments in my music, guitar, bass and keys and drums, but It has been many years since I had fun sampling and now that I have this MPC I wanted to get back into it! I really appreciate all the ideas, cant wait until tomorrow morning, i am going to do just what you said and have some fun!
Old 1st June 2011
  #18
Gear Maniac
 
Kre8 da RedBeerd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Xavier View Post
... and find my own samples... but to have somebody else find them for you is pretty lazy in my honest opinion.
Though this may sound like a paradox, in this instance, finding your own samples is the same thing as having someone find them for you.

Someone makes a sample kits and makes them available for the public. It doesn't matter how you get your hands on it, it's someones else's shyte.

Peace.
Old 2nd June 2011
  #19
Lives for gear
 
RTR's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kre8 da RedBeerd View Post
Though this may sound like a paradox, in this instance, finding your own samples is the same thing as having someone find them for you.

Someone makes a sample kits and makes them available for the public. It doesn't matter how you get your hands on it, it's someones else's shyte.

Peace.
..Thats why I play all of my own instruments, to bad music is not like that anymore though, it is a button pushers paradise, no musical experience necessary!


OMG....did he just say that in the hip hop forum ...lets attack him and say that playing a guitar and chopping a break require the same talent! heh
Old 2nd June 2011
  #20
Gear Addict
 
MotifStudios's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
..Thats why I play all of my own instruments, to bad music is not like that anymore though, it is a button pushers paradise, no musical experience necessary!


OMG....did he just say that in the hip hop forum ...lets attack him and say that playing a guitar and chopping a break require the same talent! heh
This is the age we are in.. The best beat makers for me are the ones who can sample, play their own stuff and incorporate everything together to make tracks. I mean I sample a lot, steal sounds, use loops, but I also play my own stuff to create a track out of everything... I don't think that makes me less talented.

Do you have sample packs you sell? I'd love to check them out.
Old 2nd June 2011
  #21
KT1
Lives for gear
 
KT1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotifStudios View Post
This is the age we are in.. The best beat makers for me are the ones who can sample, play their own stuff and incorporate everything together to make tracks. I mean I sample a lot, steal sounds, use loops, but I also play my own stuff to create a track out of everything... I don't think that makes me less talented.

Do you have sample packs you sell? I'd love to check them out.

I agreee with this - Nearly all of the drum programs for the Kid ICarus project have been resampled or rendered as loops. I may keep midi on some of them incase i need to make a change..Nothing wrong with using samples...I use tons of them..But my synths are all played and recorded as audio only! v important!
Old 4th June 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
 
RTR's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotifStudios View Post
This is the age we are in.. The best beat makers for me are the ones who can sample, play their own stuff and incorporate everything together to make tracks. I mean I sample a lot, steal sounds, use loops, but I also play my own stuff to create a track out of everything... I don't think that makes me less talented.

Do you have sample packs you sell? I'd love to check them out.
No I dont sell samples, I do the same thing your doing and yes, it does require talent...if I sample and loop something that I think sounds cool I will usually hi pass it and play a new bass over top of it with my fender-p, then add all the rest of the sounds I want...I was really talking about the stuff on the radio that is all 4 to the floor with one synth line and thats it, and dont forget adding "dance" or "dance floor" into the lyrics! Like Ice cube said way back.."I'm sick of that ****...listen to the hit"
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump