The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What is the excepted BPM for rap
Old 3rd March 2011
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

What is the excepted BPM for rap

Since joining Gearslutz I have found myself becoming interested in rap. Thanks guys.. I am not sure what is the excepted BPM as I often hear different tempos. I personally think the BPM is around 100 would that be correct? Your input would be much appreciated. Thanks Mike
Old 3rd March 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Marshall Oliver's Avatar
 

anywhere from 56 to 180, given on how one subdivides the beats.
Old 3rd March 2011
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Oliver View Post
anywhere from 56 to 180, given on how one subdivides the beats.
Thanks Marshall Oliver for that as I was unsure. I watched the notorious the movie several times to try and work out what BPM was most common on the sound tracks. I am currently working on the track which the BPM is 100 which I feel was a bit slow, so I think in what you say I will up the tempo and see how I feel. Thanks Mike
Old 3rd March 2011
  #4
Gear Nut
 
tr-one's Avatar
 

You pretty much answered yourself here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey boy View Post
I often hear different tempos.
Honestly, I've made beats for friends ranging everywhere from 75 BPM to 119 BPM. My personal taste tends to be in the 98 BPM to 105 BPM range, though. Even during the late 80's/early 90's when everyone started slowing down to 90-95 BPM, my preference was still in the 98-105 range. It's all about personal taste. Make music you like and feel.
Old 3rd March 2011
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr-one View Post
You pretty much answered yourself here:

Honestly, I've made beats for friends ranging everywhere from 75 BPM to 119 BPM. My personal taste tends to be in the 98 BPM to 105 BPM range, though. Even during the late 80's/early 90's when everyone started slowing down to 90-95 BPM, my preference was still in the 98-105 range. It's all about personal taste. Make music you like and feel.
Thanks Tr it's just for some reason I got stuck with 100 BPM. I have been producing for some years, but I have not taken too much notice of rap so the track I'm working on is for a young guy who is desperate to reach a higher step so before I present to him my work I just want to make sure that I have grasp this correctly. I am not charging for this it's just for my pleasure.
Old 3rd March 2011
  #6
mp3
Lives for gear
 

My personal taste is between 88 and 95. Generally speaking, I'd say about 95% of what I hear nowadays is between 75 and 110.
Old 3rd March 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Marshall Oliver's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey boy View Post
Thanks Marshall Oliver for that as I was unsure. I watched the notorious the movie several times to try and work out what BPM was most common on the sound tracks. I am currently working on the track which the BPM is 100 which I feel was a bit slow, so I think in what you say I will up the tempo and see how I feel. Thanks Mike
it really comes down to the feel that you are going for. Does the track have a uptempo feel or laidback groove? It is all about the groove man!
Old 3rd March 2011
  #8
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Oliver View Post
it really comes down to the feel that you are going for. Does the track have a uptempo feel or laid back groove? It is all about the groove man!
Yes Marshall it has a really nice laid back feeling. I have listened to so much of the US rap which is in my opinion far Superior to what we have here in the UK, I'm a shame to say. You guys seem to really know what your going for and the quality in the work I hear from you people is second to none so I have put all my energy and time into listening and trying to have the same feeling with this track as you guys in the US seem to put out with ease.
Old 3rd March 2011
  #9
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey boy View Post
You guys seem to really know what your going for
Yeah, because we're here. In other words, our music is both a product of our environment and a contribution back to it. There is such a range and variation in hip hop here, yet a consistent energy (which you call 'the same feeling'). Its that energy that you notice. In other words, just because you can make spaghetti and pizza doesn't mean you can make italian food.

Quote:
I'm a shame to say.
Why? That's like me lamenting the fact that no one here can do trip hop better than you do it.
Old 3rd March 2011
  #10
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
Sorry to be a PITA, but don't you mean "accepted?" "Excepted" means almost the exact opposite.
Old 3rd March 2011
  #11
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Yeah, because we're here. In other words, our music is both a product of the environment and a contribution back to it. There is such a range and variation in hip hop here, yet a consistent energy (which you call 'the same feeling'). Its that energy that you notice. In other words, just because you can make spaghetti and pizza doesn't mean you can make italian food.



Why? That's like me lamenting the fact that no one here can do trip hop better than you do it.
Yes I do feel shamed because rap has been around some time. I believe you guys have mastered rap much better than in the UK given the fact that people here have been producing the same type of music for the same period of time. Here is an example of what I am trying to express. My daughter tells me that I should watch this movie about a guy called Notorious who is notorious I ask my daughter she reply just watch the movie so I watched it and not only was I moved by the story I was blown away by the main character Mr Smalls. I now find myself comparing English rap artist to the guys from US and like I said the people in the US that are producing rap to my ears is much more appealing and that is my honest opinion.
Old 3rd March 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
PRPS's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Sorry to be a PITA, but don't you mean "accepted?" "Excepted" means almost the exact opposite.
beat me to it..
Old 3rd March 2011
  #13
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Yeah, because we're here. In other words, our music is both a product of our environment and a contribution back to it. There is such a range and variation in hip hop here, yet a consistent energy (which you call 'the same feeling'). Its that energy that you notice. In other words, just because you can make spaghetti and pizza doesn't mean you can make italian food.

Why? That's like me lamenting the fact that no one here can do trip hop better than you do it.
This is definitely one of the most insightful posts I have ever read in the hip hop forum! thumbsup
Old 3rd March 2011
  #14
Gear Addict
 
Michael T's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey boy View Post
Since joining Gearslutz I have found myself becoming interested in rap. Thanks guys.. I am not sure what is the excepted BPM as I often hear different tempos. I personally think the BPM is around 100 would that be correct? Your input would be much appreciated. Thanks Mike
For hip-hop I would stay above 70 bpm unless you rap like the old 3-6 mafia, lol. They have some slow music for real. Tempo really depends on how you want the "pocket" of the beat to sound, just like a real drummer. The tempo is the most important part of any beat. Do not get into the habit of over-quantizing hip-hop as many drum, claps, and snares do not sound right quantized too tight when layering. You must get the start and stop time perfect for the loop if you want the song to have the correct groove. This starts with the tempo. Get it right before you even start making the track if possible. It's a severe headache later although most people have no idea about groove and pocket in electronic music. You may want to double up tempos to help with high-hat programming and sequencing.
Old 3rd March 2011
  #15
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey boy View Post
Yes I do feel shamed because rap has been around some time. I believe you guys have mastered rap much better than in the UK given the fact that people here have been producing the same type of music for the same period of time.
No you haven't.

But anyway I guess what I'm really trying to say is that Hip Hop itself, the entire genre and lifestyle, is a reflection of the environment here, the energy here. Because the genre was created here (well that's been debated but we are certainly the ones that took it and ran with it) and developed here. That certainly doesn't invalidate hip hop music made elsewhere, but it does mean that the energy won't be the same. It can't be. But that's not a bad thing, unless UK hip hop exists only to emulate US hip hop, and I don't think it does. Trying to make it the same is a very difficult (and in my opinion, pointless) task, and being ashamed that it isn't is a waste. Why not celebrate the differences instead?

The authenticity that you seem to be referencing in US hip hop is only convention. A bunch of people collectively saying 'this is what hip hop is and this is what it should sound like'. Who cares? Express yourself musically; that's the point of it all.
Old 3rd March 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
 
godphaser's Avatar
 

When I'm in a vibe, I tap with my foot then I tap tempo the bpm I "found" with my foot.
Old 3rd March 2011
  #17
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by godphaser View Post
When I'm in a vibe, I tap with my foot then I tap tempo the bpm I "found" with my foot.
I do the same...
Old 3rd March 2011
  #18
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
No you haven't.

But anyway I guess what I'm really trying to say is that Hip Hop itself, the entire genre and lifestyle, is a reflection of the environment here, the energy here. Because the genre was created here (well that's been debated but we are certainly the ones that took it and ran with it) and developed here. That certainly doesn't invalidate hip hop music made elsewhere, but it does mean that the energy won't be the same. It can't be. But that's not a bad thing, unless UK hip hop exists only to emulate US hip hop, and I don't think it does. Trying to make it the same is a very difficult (and in my opinion, pointless) task, and being ashamed that it isn't is a waste. Why not celebrate the differences instead?

The authenticity that you seem to be referencing in US hip hop is only convention. A bunch of people collectively saying 'this is what hip hop is and this is what it should sound like'. Who cares? Express yourself musically; that's the point of it all.
Again, nicely put. Pointless indeed. And surely not really inspiring either, but hey I guess not all chase their own ghosts, most always chase the other guys shadows.....
Old 4th March 2011
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Edward Shnapper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
No you haven't.

But anyway I guess what I'm really trying to say is that Hip Hop itself, the entire genre and lifestyle, is a reflection of the environment here, the energy here. Because the genre was created here (well that's been debated but we are certainly the ones that took it and ran with it) and developed here. That certainly doesn't invalidate hip hop music made elsewhere, but it does mean that the energy won't be the same. It can't be. But that's not a bad thing, unless UK hip hop exists only to emulate US hip hop, and I don't think it does. Trying to make it the same is a very difficult (and in my opinion, pointless) task, and being ashamed that it isn't is a waste. Why not celebrate the differences instead?

The authenticity that you seem to be referencing in US hip hop is only convention. A bunch of people collectively saying 'this is what hip hop is and this is what it should sound like'. Who cares? Express yourself musically; that's the point of it all.

well i wouldnt say that... i'm neither from the USA or the UK so im not prejudice but the UK has some good **** too... someone like roots manuva ****s on most of the plastic bull**** coming out of the states these days. yes, the states really produces a lot of **** these days. i used to the respect for american music but thats quickly dying
Old 4th March 2011
  #20
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Oliver View Post
it really comes down to the feel that you are going for. Does the track have a uptempo feel or laidback groove? It is all about the groove man!
This is beat raw bro! Loving it.
Old 4th March 2011
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Rednose's Avatar
83 bpm seems to be a pretty popular tempo for the beats rappers bring into my studio.
I personally prefer faster, but I record whatever they bring in.
Old 4th March 2011
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey boy View Post
Since joining Gearslutz I have found myself becoming interested in rap. Thanks guys.. I am not sure what is the excepted BPM as I often hear different tempos. I personally think the BPM is around 100 would that be correct? Your input would be much appreciated. Thanks Mike
Tempo is 90 - 95. If you do not follow this rule the hiphop heads from 1992 will tell everyone you're not Hiphop
Old 4th March 2011
  #23
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Shnapper View Post
well i wouldnt say that... i'm neither from the USA or the UK so im not prejudice but the UK has some good **** too... someone like roots manuva ****s on most of the plastic bull**** coming out of the states these days. yes, the states really produces a lot of **** these days. i used to the respect for american music but thats quickly dying
And you both missed and strengthened the point previously made, as he chats from his own London angle. The whole point is to make something of your own out of YOUR surrounding and he does exactly that. Which makes it sound rather different than if he was living in LA. Naturally. And yes, I much prefer it too. But that's not too weird either, as I am in London and can't relate to the US gangsta ****e.
Old 4th March 2011
  #24
Gear Maniac
 
profplume's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey boy View Post
Since joining Gearslutz I have found myself becoming interested in rap. Thanks guys.. I am not sure what is the excepted BPM as I often hear different tempos. I personally think the BPM is around 100 would that be correct? Your input would be much appreciated. Thanks Mike
80-100

Back in the day it was in the 90's. Nowadays it's in the 80's (personally I like it in the 80's because it lends itself to better rhymes imo) of course, a hihat can change the feel of the beat anyway.

Obviously, there's no right answer here. bottomline- can you rap to it?
Old 5th March 2011
  #25
Gear Head
 
Cashby's Avatar
 

usually stay around 90-95 for me. head nodding tempo.
Old 5th March 2011
  #26
restpause
Guest
given that Rap can occur over the top of almost ANY other type of music, especially all the electronic and many rock subgenres,... I'd say the sky is the limit. There are no rules.

If you want to stay mainstream, go with 96 BPM and never stray from that. dfegad
Old 5th March 2011
  #27
Gear Maniac
 
bonzotracker's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey boy View Post
Yes I do feel shamed because rap has been around some time. I believe you guys have mastered rap much better than in the UK given the fact that people here have been producing the same type of music for the same period of time. Here is an example of what I am trying to express. My daughter tells me that I should watch this movie about a guy called Notorious who is notorious I ask my daughter she reply just watch the movie so I watched it and not only was I moved by the story I was blown away by the main character Mr Smalls. I now find myself comparing English rap artist to the guys from US and like I said the people in the US that are producing rap to my ears is much more appealing and that is my honest opinion.
before you completely cast out uk hip hop i beg of you check out some of the real artiest we have people like

foreign beggars
jehst
task force
Rodney p
roots manuva

you will find some of the most poetic and insightful observation on uk society

YouTube - Jehst - City Of Industry

listen to this and tell me he is not on the same level as some one like nas
Old 5th March 2011
  #28
Lives for gear
 
bobsandifer's Avatar
 

The pros use a formula to determine the tempo of a hit hiphop track. You take the static number of 197 then divide that by the number of rappers on the track plus the average of bars total from all of the artist on the track. You then deduct 25 points for every bar of the intro. This is not done If that swirly sound is used from fl studio. If that is used you deduct 26.7 points for every bar of the intro. Once you have this number you divide by the model number of the mpc used then add 6. Take this number and jot it down on a piece of paper. Then create the beat at whatever tempo you like. This has worked for the pros since the introduction of the mpc60.
Old 5th March 2011
  #29
T1M
Gear Maniac
 

93bpm


/thread.
Old 5th March 2011
  #30
Gear Addict
 
laboso's Avatar
 

Man, there are at least 1000+ threads on this, use the fuccing search function..! These thread flooding topics drive me crazy
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump