The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Triggering new drums
Old 24th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Triggering new drums

What's up..I got a quick question for all of you. I'm somewhat new to this set up.

I'm fixing up some old tracks in sound forge, and I ran into a weak ass kick drum. I wanted to replace it. I'd rather not have to paste a new kick across the track. I thought I could trigger the new kick somehow, with what i got.

Here's what I'm working with:

Acid 7
SF 10
Guru
Sonivox Sampla
Oxygen 8 and a buch of plugs....

Thanks for any advice!
Old 24th February 2011
Gear Head

Is it a MIDI kick you're talking about? If so find a way to copy the MIDI sequence you built and then paste it into a new MIDI track with your new kick...I'm not familiar with the DAW you're using but many of them just let you drag and drop different sounds to swap them out without having to redo the sequence
Old 24th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obleezy View Post
Is it a MIDI kick you're talking about? If so find a way to copy the MIDI sequence you built and then paste it into a new MIDI track with your new kick...I'm not familiar with the DAW you're using but many of them just let you drag and drop different sounds to swap them out without having to redo the sequence
right. I'm talking about an old finished song. All I have is the 2-track master.
Old 24th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by profplume View Post
right. I'm talking about an old finished song. All I have is the 2-track master.
You can't replace it in the 2-track master, it's impossible. What you can do is add it manually. There's no other way around it.

You could try low-passing the track at 100Hz or so and feeding it to a plug-in like sound replacer, trigger, drumagog, etc, but I seriously doubt it would work.

Good luck
Old 17th March 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by profplume View Post
I see...well the 2 track master basically has the kick drum permanently in there now, you can manually add a new one to the existing track or maybe try killing the low frequencies on the master where you want to change the kick so you can add a little variation on top of it. But keep in mind cutting frequencies at this point will affect the whole mix, good luck...a true artist can make a masterpiece out of any mess he's given...
Old 17th March 2011
DAH
Lives for gear

Ducking in the lows + triggering new sample using this:
Koen Tanghe @ Smartelectronix : KTDrumTrigger
Old 17th March 2011
Lives for gear
I have actually done this. Load the 2track into your DAW and set the tempo to match. It must match EXACTLY. Since you made the song on your own system, this shouldn't be too hard to do. Then program your new kick on a new track. Then print the kick. Now zoon way way way in and slide the new kick track until it lines up the attack of the new kick to the attack of the kick in the track (you should be able to see the attack of the kick in the waveform of the 2track - it's not that hard). Sample accuracy is a must. If you use a hardware sampler/rompler to play the new kick, then you will have to adjust EVERY kick individually because MIDI timing is not exact to the sample. But if you are using VST or copy/paste, then the timing should be perfect. Did I mention that you must sync the tempo to the beat EXACTLY??!?!!! If it's not exact, then you have to go through and line up every kick. When I say line them up, they need to be EXACT. Now mixdown whole thing.

But that's how you do it. I've done it before. Not exactly fun, but not impossible either.
Old 17th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustinZubillaga View Post
You can't replace it in the 2-track master, it's impossible. What you can do is add it manually. There's no other way around it.

You could try low-passing the track at 100Hz or so and feeding it to a plug-in like sound replacer, trigger, drumagog, etc, but I seriously doubt it would work.

Good luck

Yeah, you're right. I just broke down and toiled away having to actually spread the kick across all of that real estate. lol (75% of it being a copy-paste job)

Thanks also the rest of you guys. DAH, I didn't get to try that, but I'll remember it. Chris and Obleezy, yeah that's basically what I did. Thankfully, there wasn't too much variation on the patterns, so most of it was C and P. I just notched out around 120hz and slipped the new kick in there.
(It sounds much better to someone listening for the first time, but it's funny when you try to go back and fix something old. Sounds weird sometimes. lol Works with a kick, not really with vox tho.)

This post just sparkles with laziness!! Thanks a lot though

Thanks a lot
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

Wait

Must be too late, but I was going to say that you can take the combination of a band pass filter with a narrow Q, a frequency conscious gate with a midi send on gate open (aka ReaGate) and a drum sampler to do this.

Worth experimenting with even after the fact in case you ever have to do this during mastering.

Peace
Illumination

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search