The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing Hooks/Choruses
Old 3rd February 2011
Gear Maniac

Mixing Hooks/Choruses

A few artists I work with have been recording there hooks with multiple voices... alot of people do this, Kid Cudi, Em, Wiz etc...

My question is once I have the tracks for the hook, like 1st track would be higher pitch, 2nd track would be middle or regular voice, then 3rd track would be lower; how do you approach to mix it? Do you you effect and pan each voice differently? I know how to make the stereo image wider, but how do they make it tight like this for instance:

Hook is at 2:06. It just sounds so good.

YouTube - Wiz Khalifa - On My Level Ft. Too Short [Official Music Video]
Old 4th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Bump
Old 4th February 2011
You use buss compression, EQ and your ears.
Old 4th February 2011
Gear Maniac

As in parallel compression?
Old 4th February 2011
Gear Maniac

You should have multiple takes for each "voice" as you describe it. For each of the voices, make sure the stacks are aligned properly. If not, use vocalign or a similar tool to get them tight.

Now carve out sonic space with eq to make them all fit together. Typically the high and low pitch takes are going to sit behind the middle voice. Compress to bring the middle voice to the front a bit and perhaps flatten out the other takes. Finally pan the takes within each "voice" stack so that you have (for example) low at +90, high at +45, middle stack at 0, high at -45, low at +90.

They should all be sitting pretty well if you've aligned, EQ'd, panned, and compressed properly.
Old 4th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scepstral View Post
You should have multiple takes for each "voice" as you describe it. For each of the voices, make sure the stacks are aligned properly. If not, use vocalign or a similar tool to get them tight.

Now carve out sonic space with eq to make them all fit together. Typically the high and low pitch takes are going to sit behind the middle voice. Compress to bring the middle voice to the front a bit and perhaps flatten out the other takes. Finally pan the takes within each "voice" stack so that you have (for example) low at +90, high at +45, middle stack at 0, high at -45, low at +90.

They should all be sitting pretty well if you've aligned, EQ'd, panned, and compressed properly.
Great explanation. Thanks alot slutz. I just tried this and can tell already its getting better. I'll keep practicing.

Do you guys recommend any tutorials/DVD's on mixing that are actually worth watching? Something that gets real in depth.
Old 5th February 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by good musik View Post
Great explanation. Thanks alot slutz. I just tried this and can tell already its getting better. I'll keep practicing.

Do you guys recommend any tutorials/DVD's on mixing that are actually worth watching? Something that gets real in depth.
Something that immediately pops up in my head is ..charles dye's dvd ! check it out..great stuff...!!!!!
Old 5th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonro View Post
Something that immediately pops up in my head is ..charles dye's dvd ! check it out..great stuff...!!!!!
Thx, I've heard its very intermediate and doesn't get into great detail.
Old 5th February 2011
Gear Maniac
Actually i've found it to be very detailed..he shows his settings and explains them ..he does these tiny things in the mix that can turn an amateur track into a professional one.. at first you won't notice them..but if you watch it again and again you'll start to see them. Its the way he mixes and the way he uses multiple plugins (serial compressing for example) to achieve a certain effect.. he seems to be very fond of the waves/urs/uad/sony oxford/mcDSP plugin series.. you might wanna look into that. The stuff he explains can truly be applied to all genres..
Old 5th February 2011
Gear Maniac
And about the panning of the hooks.. well that's kinda something personal ..some people like the hooks wide, some people dont. Mostly in RnB music they go all wide..100L/100R ..but when your mix is full with lots of sounds you have to choose your pan-spots carefully ..and like dave pensado's golden rule: the center , hard-left & hard-right are your sacred spots. In a busy mix try to keep your 2 main vocals center and the rest of the vocals in the 50 / 75 L&R range.. there are no rules when it comes to mixing.. if it sounds good, it is good.. but then again you gotta have the ears for it to call it 'good' .. heh
Old 5th February 2011
Lives for gear

Interesting.

I often add some kind of processing to give the hook a different sound.

I find the best way to learn a technique, is to blindly try and approximate it.

Don't underestimate your ears and your skills. Even if you fail at copying the effect, you probably came up with something cool, learned, and got a better command of your method anyway so it's all good.
Old 5th February 2011
Mixing Hooks/Choruses

Quote:
Originally Posted by good musik
As in parallel compression?
Lago meant that you should route all the tracks to one bus and then compress them as opposed to compressing the tracks individually. It glues the tracks together. Try it and you'll hear what I mean. I think it is the sound you are after (for example eminem probably does this).
Old 5th February 2011
Lives for gear

I usually send hook/bkg vox to a stereo group(aux) and process(plugins or outboard) there. Pan each one accordingly (to taste). Left, Right, middle, slightly off center.

The the sky is the limit my man. experiment a little.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search