The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai S3000 vs s3000xl Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 17th January 2011
Gear interested

Akai S3000 vs s3000xl

I just can't decide! Same price for both, max ram. I hear xl sounds worse but thought I'd see if any users had some pros and cons? Or which is better and why. I've done lots of reading, there just seems to be a bit of confusion about which models use the 3000 sound engine, and which ones are from china instead of japan etc. So yeah, if anyone could enlighten me a little, would be great!
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

which one has the detachable psp like face? I'd rock that one, I'm all about the gimmicks
Old 17th January 2011
Gear interested

I thought that was only the 6000/z8?
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

if the XL has the extra filters, do that.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Just get the XL, it came out after the 3000 did and has more options installed already such as:

SCSI
Digital I/O
SMPTE
FX
etc...
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Id get the 3000.........Ment to be more interesting sound.Maybe the same as mpc3000.If you can-get the s1100.Heard really great things about this.(something about mid range)Anyhow,the xl was too clean but very hi fi .imo.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

as the mpcist is saying the 3000xl is a fully loaded 3000 with a angled faceplate

google people
Old 17th January 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMan View Post
as the mpcist is saying the 3000xl is a fully loaded 3000 with a angled faceplate

google people
Well it's not, cause apparently 3000 was made prior to the mpc 3000 and 3000xl was made after and leaning more towards 2000xl, some made in japan some made in China and different components etc, which is why I'm asking people who have used either or both. The 3000 has the angled faceplate. The xl is flat. Google people.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

I would think the 3200 was after the 3000XL & Willam Orbit made Madonnas Ray of Light on two 3200XL's so unless there is something very particular about a 3000 I wouldn't be too worried.

3000 is bigger and could take the SMPTE option. the XL couldn't take that and was not as tall. not sure why there would be such a big change in the components.

3200XL might be an option in that case.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

The 3000 is older and yes, a 3U. The XL was like a newer 'refresh lifecycle' down the line making them smaller with more options builtin instead of separate. As I remember, they were all made in Japan with metal enclosures... I think I recall seeing the first Made in China on the MPC4000.... (thinking) And of course, the MPC4000 had to be made with plastic since Made in China meant plastic...right? heh
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

as long as you don't lick the plastic you should be ok.

SoundDiver has editors all the way up to the 3000 but not the 3000XL. it still seems like it might have all the modules though, so it might work.

I think the SoundDiver V3 beta 2 for OSX was on the Logic Audio 5.4 CD installer.. it was a brief appearance and then seemed to disappear.
@ around 2003.

The Akai Editors are pretty good. could save a lot of hassle.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
T And of course, the MPC4000 had to be made with plastic since Made in China meant plastic...right? heh
The 4k is metal !!!!!only the sides and front hand rest is plastic.Google people........................................................unless you were being sarcastic: )
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
The 4k is metal !!!!!only the sides and front hand rest is plastic.Google people........................................................unless you were being sarcastic: )
Of course the 'face' is metal but it's plastic all around and a bit too much trim---Hate that! heh
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

Anyone else wanna referee this,mine weighs a ton...........................................
Old 19th January 2011
Gear interested

It's weird I've seen a couple of different s models that say made in china but for the most part they are japan. Speaking of the 4000, (I've never used one, though it does look kinda plasticy..) anyone used a z4/z8? I'm quite interested in those due to the 4000 sound and computer compatibility.
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

The only thing that I heard about the MPC4000 I didn't like was that the case design acts as a kind of sound hole when you hit the pads.
That will be because the Z8 Engine needs a certain amount of airflow. it would be nice if some kind of damping could be used in that case.

I use the Z8.. really like it but the modulation section is open ended and you really have to do some serious thinking to get to grips with exploiting it properly.

In the S5/6K the modualtion section is less flexible but it is already rationally connected up for any and every program.
the aksys version is also more intelligible for it too. plus it has zone mutes which the Z8 doesn't.

pros of the MPC4K is you also have a Z8 in the bargain.
Old 20th January 2011
Gear addict

I don't know if this is useful, but the s3000xl is the same as the s2000 - they use the same motherboard, the s3000 just has more stuff soldered onto it. I had an s2000 and looked inside - there were places for missing components which said 's3000 only' next to them. Some people have taken advantage of this and soldered an internal scsi connector into their s2000. The s2000 definitely sounded the same as my mpc2000 classic (but with way more sampler features)
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMan View Post

google people
ahhh, no. the S3000xl does not have an angled faceplate
Old 27th January 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post
ahhh, no. the S3000xl does not have an angled faceplate
That's what I was saying, guy comes in trying to tell people to use google and can't even get his own **** right. Ends up looking like a *********.

I ended up going with the z4, 24bit and computer friendly, plus it can read all my 2000xl samples, just gotta get the 8 outs for it.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I'm looking for an S3000 angler face plate assembly to purchase as mine has had its silicone PAD (Button Assembly) damaged in a house move some how can anyone put me in touch with anyone who has parts for sale
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
.If you can get the s1100.Heard really great things about this. (something about mid-range)
I know this is super old, but thought I'd chime in anyway!

It's the S1000 that has the magic; the S1100 has added FX, but it also has higher resolution converters that give it a much more 'neutral' sound.

The sound of the S1000 comes from a combination of its highly articulate interpolation, which utilizes an '8-point windowed sinc' algorithm—this allows pitch alterations that sound incredible, even with extremes (vs. the 'linear interpolation' algorithm that was used by all the subsequent S-series samplers which was much cheaper to implement), along with the particular saturation characteristics of its input preamps, and finally its slightly-hyped mid/top end frequency response that starts at about 2k and rises gently about 4dB to peak around 15k :

Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post

It's the S1000 that has the magic; the S1100 has added FX, but it also has higher resolution converters that give it a much more 'neutral' sound.

The sound of the S1000 comes from a combination of its highly articulate interpolation, which utilizes an '8-point windowed sinc' algorithm—this allows pitch alterations that sound incredible, even with extremes (vs. the 'linear interpolation' algorithm that was used by all the subsequent S-series samplers which was much cheaper to implement), along with the particular saturation characteristics of its input preamps, and finally its slightly-hyped mid/top end frequency response that starts at about 2k and rises gently about 4dB to peak around 15k :

Good to know. Where did you find this info by the way?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by v00d00ppl View Post
Good to know. Where did you find this info by the way?
All the technical specs/info can be found online (check SOS, The Lost Art of Sampling: Part 2, & there are a couple dedicated s1000 sites around); otherwise, I own one (and my friend has an S1100), and those are my measurements (and opinions).
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yeah ive gathered that.I was mainly quoting Don Solaris who's got a thing for the S1100.from the examples ive heard the 1000 has a kind of nice 'slightly'muffled warm sound.I guess a bit softer and richer than later models (?)Hmmm Always on the look out for one.

Last edited by Goa-Dubs; 5 days ago at 04:20 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
All the technical specs/info can be found online (check SOS, The Lost Art of Sampling: Part 2, & there are a couple dedicated s1000 sites around); otherwise, I own one (and my friend has an S1100), and those are my measurements (and opinions).
Thanks. I’m dusting off my s1000HD this weekend and am gonna start using it again.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah ive gathered that.I was mainly quoting Don Solaris who's got a thing for the S1100.from the examples ive heard the 1000 has a kind of nice 'slightly'muffled warm sound.I guess a bit softer and richer than later models (?)Hmmm Always on the look out for one.
I'm not sure I'd characterize it as "soft" or "slightly muffled". But it depends a lot upon what you're throwing at it, and some of the internal settings (filter, etc.).

I can tell you that drums, in particular, hit hard as **** in that thing.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd characterize it as "soft" or "slightly muffled". But it depends a lot upon what you're throwing at it, and some of the internal settings (filter, etc.).

Ive just only heard it on some old you tube videos where people were making retro sounding house ect and sounded more analog like than later versions.Which is why i described it as being slightly muffled,in a good way.Modern gear is just exposed,too clear and sharp imo.For instance i found on deep listening tests a/b ing the MPC2000 vs the MPC 4000 the 2k had a warmer (softer/slightly muffled) tone to it.Which is actually more pleasing in a small way to the ears over extended listening.Call it charm.But yeah,soft and muffled does not really do a description justice.How about a bit more dirt?A slightly crusty hifi tone?I dunno never used one

I have no doubt the 1000 kick butt.Maybe one day i will have that big S1000 keyboard maxed out.

edit-Here a crusty clip-
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

For what it's worth, I tend to think of the s1k as sounding "mid-fi"; right between the two extremes of lo-fi and hi-fi.
Old 6 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Akai samplers have always been good with transients.
Someone once said that beats come out of old Akai samplers like bricks…and that's a compliment.
Old 1 hour ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, I personally think there's a certain magic involved with the input preamps (which tend to overdrive way more than they appear to when you're monitoring the input when sampling). I tend to keep the input on my S1K at a little below 11 o'clock—when you play back the sample it's always WAY more saturated than it sounded during monitoring. And once you start detuning samples particularly, that analog preamp saturation plus the particular interpolation of the S1K starts to have a very magical effect. Especially with drums, if you detune them a few semitones, they'll start to hit so ****ing hard.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search