The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Izotope Stutter Edit Plug In
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Head

Have you guys used it yet?

It's a pretty cool tool, I'm currently using the demo and trying to get the hang of it.

What are your thoughts?
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Head

Played around with the Demo which is fully functional for 10 days. It's easily the best stutter-editing program I've ever used. However, you still definitely have to have a musical ear to know when and how to use it effectively. It's great, and I think well worth the $149 I'll probably be dropping on it today. One tidbit I'm curious about is if there's any additional parameters we need to be able to access in order to create the presets or if we really can presets with similar sonic capability (some of the presets are pretty complex). The way it works with MIDI is a little different than most plugins, but it definitely works and works well!

If you like BT's sound, I say check out the demo and grab it if you like it.
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Are you guys using this as a studio plug-in or for a live on the fly tool? I'd like to look into it for a studio tool however after watching the demos it looks more like it's meant for live use.

I guess if someone could explain how it works in the studio that would be great. Would you just use it as an insert plug in on an audio track? Do you have to cut up your audio samples first and load it on a midi track? How would it work if I want to do stutters on my instrument tracks (like strings or synth leads) That's what I'm not comprehending.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can share any knowledge on this.
Old 24th January 2011
Here for the gear

I'm using this in the studio for some electropop tracks. All you need to do is insert it on an audio track, aux, or master and create a midi track to trigger it. The stutters are triggered via midi note data. Check out the demo, as someone mentioned above it allows full functionality for 10 days.
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Thinks for the input. Can you insert it on an instrument track as well or does it have to be audio? not that it's too big of a deal to convert to audio, it's one less stop. I'll definitely check out the demo when i get a chance.
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Roy View Post
Can you insert it on an instrument track as well or does it have to be audio? not that it's too big of a deal to convert to audio, it's one less stop. I'll definitely check out the demo when i get a chance.
In Logic (which I happen to use) it has to be audio, not an instrument track. Although you can output an instrument track into an audio track and do it that way. Which does mean you end up with 3 tracks to create 1 sound, which becomes a little tedious, but it works.
This isn't unique to Stutter Edit though. Sugar-Bytes Effectrix and Artillery plugins (which are kinda similar to this incidentally) work best when arranged this way too.
Basically, you don't insert them in the normal way, but via a midi track instead.
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Gotcha, sounds like a little side-chaining involved. Still not as bad as converting to audio and then doing all the cutting & pasting. I'll probably pull the trigger on it. Thanks!
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Roy View Post
Are you guys using this as a studio plug-in or for a live on the fly tool? I'd like to look into it for a studio tool however after watching the demos it looks more like it's meant for live use.

I guess if someone could explain how it works in the studio that would be great. Would you just use it as an insert plug in on an audio track? Do you have to cut up your audio samples first and load it on a midi track? How would it work if I want to do stutters on my instrument tracks (like strings or synth leads) That's what I'm not comprehending.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can share any knowledge on this.
with Cubase, just insert Stvtter Edit on an Instrument, Audio, Group or Output channel. Then in your arrangement create a MIDI track and route its midi out to Stvtter Edit. Now you can play it with your keyboard.
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Good stuff, thanks.
Old 24th January 2011
PKP
Gear Maniac

This thing is superb, awesome. Well done Izotope.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear
Damn, I'll demo as soon as I get 10 days or so to actually test it out... Looks really good.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

just downloaded the demo, sounds cool
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

I wonder which one is better for using in a studio DAW setup?
I will download to find out.

Sugar-Bytes Effectrix $129.00
http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/Effectrix/index.php?

lang=en

Stutter Edit $149.00 will soon be $249.00
iZotope Stutter Edit: Play effects like an instrument | OVERVIEW

Glitch free
http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/

Peace & blessings.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Nice, Glitch got dropped. Good app.

I was going to say that I had needed this plug but I only need it once every blue moon. so not really worth it. Glitch will do.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggmail View Post
I wonder which one is better for using in a studio DAW setup?
I will download to find out.
I love Stuttter Edit and Effectrix and I love them both.
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl View Post
Nice, Glitch got dropped. Good app.

I was going to say that I had needed this plug but I only need it once every blue moon. so not really worth it. Glitch will do.
I agree, $149.00 could be used on somthing that will get more use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
I love Stuttter Edit and Effectrix and I love them both.
It seems as though Studder (-dd+tt) 2011 is a bit better since it's more recent and have newer parameters.
Thanks for your input.

Peace & blessings.
Old 11th June 2011
Gear Maniac

ha
stutter stutter stutter stutter
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

Studder edit was actually programmed and designed by Brian Transue. He originally wrote the code for it way back in the late 90's and was using it exclusively for himself for a long time. Go back and listen to what I consider his Best work, movement in the still life.
YouTube - ‪BT - Hip Hop Phenomenon (album version)‬‏
Track called Hip Hop phenomena. Listen to how he mastered it. I cant do what he was doing then with it now.
First time i head it back in 99, I was completely Floored. Had no ****ing clue how someone could be so brilliant at programming. Keep in mind people were still mainly doing midi at that point so it was some insane stuff. The entire album was plastered with it. But tastefully.
Old 12th June 2011
Lives for gear

Wow HoPMiX, that track is awesome.
It goes to show that the more things change, it really stays the same, nothing new under the sun.
Those effects with the funky drums is awesome.
Thanks for sharing that.

Here is one of the newest stutter & midi effect VST on the market to add to the list.
$179 US.
Sugar Bytes Turnado

Peace & blessings.
Old 12th June 2011
Lives for gear

I Think stutter edit is better and more flexible, as well as more complex, than effectrix or artillery. Having said that, effectrix and artillery are still really nice glitch vst's.
Old 12th June 2011
Nev
Lives for gear

Ever since Stutter came out, I have put Glitch away. I did not even install it on my new pc rig.

Remember the days when we had to literally cut & paste effects like this? What's worse I remember when I had to literally do 4-5 takes with one hand on my filter, the other on my analog delay, and my foot on play and record foot switches, just to get these types of effects.

You guys got it made now-a-days lol
Old 22nd June 2011
Here for the gear

Stutter Edit Buffer Position Problem

i'll start a new thread for this..
Old 24th June 2011
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Ever since Stutter came out, I have put Glitch away. I did not even install it on my new pc rig.

Remember the days when we had to literally cut & paste effects like this? What's worse I remember when I had to literally do 4-5 takes with one hand on my filter, the other on my analog delay, and my foot on play and record foot switches, just to get these types of effects.

You guys got it made now-a-days lol

I still dont get it..Glitch and stutters are not best achieved from a VST. You're seriously limiting yourself in my opinion. More importantly you are loosing out on learning how to manipulate multiple effect sends through automation and diminishing your creativity. I understand that when people begin to glitch at first it is time consuming but a bit of practice and you'll never look back. The drum remix i did in my sig has some glitchy drums.

I used - Laptop/ableton..no third party and my icki drum sets. I'm happy to discuss this in more depth if anyone has a care. Glitching audio is something i have been doing for as long as i can remember moving over to live..

God Bless
Old 24th June 2011
Lives for gear

Instant Fancy Production = Studder edit.

If anything sounds lame or cheese, Stick studder and u got instant cool

and for those normal music lovers out there, they will totally dig ur material, cos u twisted it up big time. Your pears will know. But that's alright. It's like another magician knows your tricks. Not as fun right?

Grab it. That next best thing since autotune.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 12th August 2011
This seems to be based slightly on the now dead Lucifer plug, anyone remember that one? Devine wrote some presets for this so who knows...

Making Music: Devine Machine - Lucifer 2.1 (Pc/Mac/universal)
Old 4th November 2011
Gear Head

In case any of you are still sitting on the fence with S tutter Edit, we just wanted to let you know that throughout November there's £60 off the RRP so it's currently only £109 / €125!

Available both as a box and a download.

iZotope Stutter Edit - save £60 in November! - News - Time+Space | Virtual Instruments, VST Plugins, Sample Libraries, Sample CDs, Downloads, Tutorial DVDs, Hardware and Software
Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoosticZoo View Post
Instant Fancy Production = Studder edit.

If anything sounds lame or cheese, Stick studder and u got instant cool

and for those normal music lovers out there, they will totally dig ur material, cos u twisted it up big time. Your pears will know. But that's alright. It's like another magician knows your tricks. Not as fun right?

Grab it. That next best thing since autotune.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
I agree. Just pulled it out to use on a sample I had in a track- instant cool and different.
Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear

I'm a fan of Tornado and Gross Beat
Old 5th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgthefuture View Post
I'm a fan of Tornado and Gross Beat
Word. I wish image line made a gross beat AU plugin.
Old 5th November 2011
Lives for gear

Izotope S.tu.tter Edit looks real dope

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search