The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How To Achive A W - Mix Like In Outcast (Hey Ya!) Song? [Example Inside] Spatial Processor Plugins
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

How To Achive A W - Mix Like In Outcast (Hey Ya!) Song? [Example Inside]

I wanted to know how was this mix achieved? My main concern is how they got the guitar to be panned the way it is?

Do you have to pan the guitar manually by duplicating it and then doing a hard left and right pan or can this be achieved with a plug-in of some sort?

Any insight would be great, thanks....
Old 3rd January 2011
I know that PSP makes a stereo enhancer, That would probably be your best bet.

Also, tracking 2 guitar takes, panning each one hard left and hard right would also work great.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Ok, thanks so im guessing the waves S1 Imager would do this job also..
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

No stereo enhancer will match 2 separately recorded guitar takes panned hard left and hard right. The slight variation in playing from each take "enhances" the stereo field.

I personally like to not only record separate takes, but use a different mic placement, chord voicing, and sometimes different guitar for each take.
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
No stereo enhancer will match 2 separately recorded guitar takes panned hard left and hard right. The slight variation in playing from each take "enhances" the stereo field.

I personally like to not only record separate takes, but use a different mic placement, chord voicing, and sometimes different guitar for each take.
I do exactly the same thumbsup
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

You could copy the track, pan them hard left and right, delay one by a couple of milliseconds and put small bit of chorus on it.

Double tracking is the better method though. Same goes for background vocals.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Ok thanks for the reply's guys
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search