The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chicago footworks production techniques Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Chicago footworks production techniques

So yeah this is(was) album of the year. At least as far as fresh dance beats go. I'm curious what they use. I'm thinking it's gotta be fruity, sorry FL Studio with all those pitch edits. Great production. I'd like to learn more.

(not spam)
Listen to more here: Planet Mu Records
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Hehe... gonna try this again without people freaking out and being rude?

What happened to that thread anyway? It got "moved" into a black hole

FLStudio could do it... yes.

I think the older guys like Spinn and Rashad use MPCs.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodeater View Post
So yeah this is(was) album of the year. At least as far as fresh dance beats go. I'm curious what they use. I'm thinking it's gotta be fruity, sorry FL Studio with all those pitch edits. Great production. I'd like to learn more.
this was one of my albums of the year - i started a thread in the electronic music forum. very interesting and original sounding weirdness, although i've got to say that having lived with it for a month there are only about 5 or 6 great tracks - in my very humble opinion of course

on the production side though i've got to disagree, it is sparse and rhythmically very interesting, but to me the sounds are generally weak? thin bass, paper thin drum sounds, very 2 dimensional soundscape. don't get me wrong, still interesting, but not one i would look to emulate for the sound.

i've no idea what they use but pretty much any sample based sequencer would easily do it - battery, maschine, MPC, hardware sampler, reason, FL etc.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

http://tinyurl.com/2dcukms

the link above is an interview by dave quam with RP Boo.

really interesting and detailed about the history of the scene and the development of the music.

also he says he started out on a roland R-70 drum machine and akai SO1 and still uses them. doesn't say if there is any other gear used today.

cheers
M
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks!

Good interview. The stuff about sampling is interesting. The fact that the samples in footwork are unpredictable and often illegal is exciting and fun. Like old school hip-hop or early rave and jungle.

The composition is what I find the most appealing. I guess I should have used the word composition rather than production. The songs with varied and overlapping drum patterns are really inspired and surprising. It's stiff and loose at the same time. I guess I should research polyrhythms? And practice a ton, haha.

M-Goldie, what are your favorite tracks on the comp? I like "Teknitian" and "I Go Hard" a lot. There is one song I can't for the life of me figure out how to dance to.

I missed the other thread. What happened? The electronic music forum can be weird. I find the genre closer in attitude to instrumental hip-hop.

It's been liberating to hear this style. I'd been working on my own tracks with heavy vocal cut ups, and choppy rhythms but I'd been afraid to go to quite that extreme. No one in my area would rap or dance to it, but **** em. I'm not gonna hold back anymore. I've been a bit aimless in my production lately and trying to incorporate the ideas in footwork I like is gonna keep me busy for a while.

I'm working on something inspired by footwork now using a MPC for the main rhythms and Five12 Numerology with a launchpad to handle the vocals, melody and extras.... it's coming along. Better than what else I've tried. Ableton wasn't really helping. I was either making songs too stiff or wonky. With FL studio I had a hard time making one section flow into another.

I'm layering my samples with analog noises plus lots of freaky sounds I've made on my own to try and combat the 2d sound that can come from using a lot of samples. It's sounding pretty heavy so far, but I've come to realize I need better 808 and 909 samples or to start using a drum synth!

I think the minimal reverb on a lot of songs makes the percussion sounds nice and raw and in your face. I've been sticking with that, but experimenting with turning up the reverb at certain times. It's a cool effect that I can use to really make certain sounds pop out and take on a cinematic effect.

Is there a good site to keep up with what going on?

I found some random soundclouds. I'm listening to TRAXMAN - 02 MIXX 4 on SoundCloud now, but the mixes aren't labeled so I can't find more from the people I like. Some of it is brutally funky and fun.

Some cool songs here Ghettophiles's sounds on SoundCloud too. DJ Rashad - Ghost would sound great with the right rapping over it especially when it slows down in 3 minutes in.

If Chicago is bringing it so hard, I wonder what Detroit is up to.

Haha, i'm rambling because this sound excites me. Back to making music.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks!

Good interview. The stuff about sampling is interesting. The fact that the samples in footwork are unpredictable and often illegal is exciting and fun. Like old school hip-hop or early rave and jungle.

The composition is what I find the most appealing. I guess I should have used the word composition rather than production. The songs with varied and overlapping drum patterns are really inspired and surprising. It's stiff and loose at the same time. I guess I should research polyrhythms? And practice a ton, haha.
agreed
reminds me of jungle and early dnb quite a bit, and also some of the early uk dubstep. some older techno that i liked was very sample based and raw too, but it was always rooted in the four on the floor house thing, even if the rhythms overlapped... like this:

YouTube - Mike Ink - Polka Trax 2

Quote:
M-Goldie, what are your favorite tracks on the comp? I like "Teknitian" and "I Go Hard" a lot. There is one song I can't for the life of me figure out how to dance to.
stand out tracks by a mile for me are 'Teknitian' and 'Itz Not Rite', so i guess that makes me a DJ Rashad fan

Quote:
I'm layering my samples with analog noises plus lots of freaky sounds I've made on my own to try and combat the 2d sound that can come from using a lot of samples. It's sounding pretty heavy so far, but I've come to realize I need better 808 and 909 samples or to start using a drum synth!

I think the minimal reverb on a lot of songs makes the percussion sounds nice and raw and in your face. I've been sticking with that, but experimenting with turning up the reverb at certain times. It's a cool effect that I can use to really make certain sounds pop out and take on a cinematic effect.
goldbaby does very good samples and they are not very expensive. there is a whole lot of 808 and 909 + loads of other useful bits:

products

also i agree about the reverb - keeping it dry and turning it up in places is very effective (i always thought that ramelzee's beat bop showed off this idea the best - do you know it?)

Quote:
no idea really, but as Planet Mu seem to be very into this you could drop them an email?

good luck with the productions!

M
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The composition is what I find the most appealing. I guess I should have used the word composition rather than production.
Right - it's all about sample choice and arrangement.

Quote:
I missed the other thread. What happened? The electronic music forum can be weird. I find the genre closer in attitude to instrumental hip-hop.
There was a thread in here too. I tried to answer the original poster and a bunch of the regulars on here jumped in and accused me of being a Chicago Footwork producer trying to self-promote and refused to be convinced otherwise, which is pretty silly.

Lots of odd stuff got thrown around ("it's just beats", in reference to modern House music, and "it has no discernable rhythm" in reference to music made by and for dancers, being the 2 choice cuts ). The thread got shut down.

Quote:
There's this long thread on Dissensus that has been running for a couple of years, which you might find interesting: Juke

Dave Quam's blog, which M-Goldie already liked you to, is a good place to keep up in general.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search