The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
lord finesse production style? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

lord finesse production style?

im not trying to copy his style but how did he sample,how did he chop up his samples i know he used mpc and sp1200 but how do i do it in fl studio and what type of records he like to sample.remember im not trying to bite his style i have my own style i just want to know from reference. thanks
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice909 View Post
im not trying to copy his style but how did he sample,how did he chop up his samples i know he used mpc and sp1200 but how do i do it in fl studio and what type of records he like to sample.remember im not trying to bite his style i have my own style i just want to know from reference. thanks
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...originals.html
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

"Biting" can be a good way to learn and develop one's own style. But to the OP, just listen to Lord Finesse's beats and figure out how he did them. Try to recreate one of them in FL Studio. Find the original samples. Use mp3s if you have to, just as a learning process. Use The-Breaks.com for the sample sources. Your beat won't sound like his. Tweak things to get it as close as you can... Or better yet, make it better for your own tastes.

Now, if you try this and have trouble figuring out a particular technique he used to get a particular sound, then ask the specific question. But what you're asking here is way too open-ended, imo. Good luck.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Use rhode,s ? Reverb ? delay ?....i tend to do this kinda tracks often (sounds kinda like dr dre's stuff ?....anyhow this stuff is bumpin gotta add he,s stuff to my collection.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

yeah those are awesome beats. a few things immediately come to mind (speculation):

12 bit
swing
long vinyl samples chopped into 8th/16th notes
vinyl one shots layered with short drum machine one shots

...and a talented person making the beat. the elements of these beats are simple yet are arranged so very well. early 90's beats! start off by getting some phrases off of vinyl and using the rhythmic chopping method. put each chop on a pad and play them in a row, rearrange them, layer your own hits in! it's fun. most mpc's can auto chop to pads and a new program. in fl it might be harder.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

nice to see more people asking about these type of producers / beats on here lately.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless View Post
yeah those are awesome beats. a few things immediately come to mind (speculation): put each chop on a pad and play them in a row, rearrange them, layer your own hits in! it's fun. most mpc's can auto chop to pads and a new program. in fl it might be harder.
Nah, you can use FL Slicer or Slicex. It's actually much, much easier to do than in an old MPC (2000 and before).
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

it's cool that there's software to do it in fl. i've got jjos and it's pretty easy too.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

thanks for the info any more keep em commin if ya want.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Nut

quick info these are all sampled for those that do not know sorry to point this out late but some people think he compose these melodies.on a related note any info on these songs or his style.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

SP1200, S950, real dope records and an even better ear for samples & arrangement. No voodoo involved man.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 View Post
SP1200, S950, real dope records and an even better ear for samples & arrangement. No voodoo involved man.

I think i find sampling kind off a laizy way off producin but also being an artform to recreate something out off exsisting materials....

While composin your track is actually 'producing'' it creating ''IT'' let's say....
none the less i've made a track 2 dayz ago like that and it had pretty mutch the same style.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

never noticed how the hats on some of those beats posted sound like bells almost.. like sleigh bells?? interesting..
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by incurablebeatlus View Post
never noticed how the hats on some of those beats posted sound like bells almost.. like sleigh bells?? interesting..
Haha, I was about to say that. Santa is comin to town
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

"School Boy Crush" by Average White Band. The sleigh bells are classic. Sampled by everyone on this list, plus more.

Emperor Penguin’s “Underwater Housekeeping”
Poetry in Motion’s “Bad Mutha****a”
Kool D & Technolo G’s “Now Dance”
Kym Rae’s “Ease Your Mind”
YG’s “Street Nigga”
AMG’s “Once a Dawg (Janine 2)”
Artifacts’s “What Goes On?”
Beatnuts’s “Ya Don't Stop”
Color Me Badd’s “Thinkin' Back”
De la Soul’s “Do as De La Does”
De la Soul’s “Strictly Dan Stuckie”
Diana King’s “Shy Guy”
DJ Eclipse’s “Dedication”
Double XX Posse’s “School of Hard Knocks”
EPMD’s “Can't Hear Nothing but the Music”
EPMD’s “Give the People”
Eric B and Rakim’s “Microphone Fiend”
Father MC’s “One Night Stand”
Fresh Kid Ice’s “From da Bottom to Da Top”
Immature’s “Do My Thing”
Janet Jackson’s “New Agenda”
Kwame’s “Thatthewaydatitgoez”
Lench Mob’s “You and Your Heroes”
Nas’s “Halftime”
Public Enemy’s “Pollywanacraka”
Ras Kass’s “Soul on Ice”
Rodney O & Joe Cooley’s “Nutty Block”
South Central Cartel’s “Bring it On”
Special Ed’s “Think about It”
TLC’s “Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg”
Too $hort’s “Life is Too $hort”
X-Clan’s “Grand Verbalizer, What Time is It?”
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

oh im def familiar w/ AWB and that break i just never took notice of the bells before on these LF tracks..
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

Yeah, no doubt. There are sleigh bells on a lot of tracks from that era. I just added some to a beat I made and it really improved the vibe.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

Don't forget... for awhile there Lord Finesse was one of the in-house producers for Dr. Dre...
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_English View Post
Don't forget... for awhile there Lord Finesse was one of the in-house producers for Dr. Dre...
Really? I know he did "The Message," but Finesse's stuff doesn't sound anything like most of the Dre stuff. Was he getting some rough ideas down and then having Dre add his touch? Strange combo. Then again, Finesse did start out as a member of Ice-T's Rhyme Syndicate.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search