The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrading Interface Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Upgrading Interface

I am upgrading my interface, I currently use a Digi 003. Whats the best of the best? From what I hear Metric Halo products are liked on this forum. What do you guys think of the MH ULN-2 2d? Would that be a big step up from the Digi 003 rack?

EDIT: I only track vocals BTW.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

bump
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Would it be better to buy the new Mbox 3 Pro to replace the Digi 003? Or should I add the API A2D to my current set up? Ive heard that the new mbox 3 pre's + converters sound better than the digi 003's, plus its mobile as well. But if I were to get the mbox 3 pro i was thinking instead to get the Metric Halo ULN-2, and spend the extra money if its that much better.

Again, Im only recording rap vocals, maybe a guitar sometimes. Right now I have a Rode k2 for a mic, and just use my Digi 003 for converters and pres and my macbook pro.

Thanks guys.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

bump?
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

bump. lol anybody?
Old 4th January 2011
A Lynx sound card/interface is a step up. RMe cards would also be a step up form your digi card.

Lynx has great converters
Cj
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks for ur input. I have a laptop so a pci card would not be suitable. Also the lynx interface i saw is about 2 grand which is a little out of my budget. The metric halo wouldnt be a step up? I hear great things abt MH. I spoke to a Sweetwater engineer today and he even said the new mboxes have better converters and pres than my digi 003.
Old 4th January 2011
To be fair, you never mentioned you had a laptop and you said you want the best of the best. I would edit your post and list specifics because no one here can read minds. Well a few mwmbers can, but I wont disclose their names
Seriously though, list your budget and probably edit the best of the best, since you cant afford it. Maybe say what is the best I can get for $800 or $1000
When asking a querstion in a forum, its best to give details.
Cj
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Do you need an interface with preamps?
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Sorry guys. Ok, what is the best I can get for $1,200? I only track vocals so I need the most maybe 2 preamps, but something with really good converters?
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Apogee Ensemble Don't think you can beat it for the price.

$1200 will get you really close used.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks, but if Im only tracking vocals, and since the Duet has the same converters and pres as the Ensemble, do you think I should just get the Duet instead? Also I spoke to a sweetwater engineer and he said that the new Mboxes sound better than the Duet, better converters and Pres. What do ya'll think?
Old 4th January 2011
Here for the gear

metric halo uln2 2d has a fuller truer sound than duet and is way more flexible ... duet also seems more hyped in the mids ...
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Cool, thanks alot. Is there anything better than the Metric Halo ULN-2 in that price range? The Digi 003 is fine, I just want something more 'pro'.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search