The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JJ Audio Husky (U47 inspired) Condenser Microphones
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

JJ Audio Husky (U47 inspired)

What up, Im about to order the JJ Audio Husky (U47 inspired) mic next week... has anyone used or tried this mic here....???? Thanks guys
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro_Bigdog View Post
What up, Im about to order the JJ Audio Husky (U47 inspired) mic next week... has anyone used or tried this mic here....???? Thanks guys
There are clips somewhere.

I used it a long time ago - turned in my report - Jim created a new one that sounds incredible. Probably the mic I'm most excited about in the whole JJ collection.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
There are clips somewhere.
he emailed me a clip of a singer and it really sounded smooth but I was hoping to see if anyone has used it with rap vox or what ever els LOL .... Thanks

I hear that this guy does great work..... heh
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
he emailed me a clip of a singer and it really sounded smooth but I was hoping to see if anyone has used it with rap vox or what ever els LOL .... Thanks

I hear that this guy does great work..... heh
The original Husky and the new Husky are different. I tested the older Husky on rap vocals - and felt that the grittiness and thickness of it were conducive for more of the underground feel. Jim has created a new model that has naturalized the sound - making it remarkably 47-esq. I very much prefer the new model - I'd actually really like one for my own collection - as the naturalness of a mic is very important to my own taste.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
The original Husky and the new Husky are different. I tested the older Husky on rap vocals - and felt that the grittiness and thickness of it were conducive for more of the underground feel. Jim has created a new model that has naturalized the sound - making it remarkably 47-esq. I very much prefer the new model - I'd actually really like one for my own collection - as the naturalness of a mic is very important to my own taste.
Sweet.... im looking fwd to using the mic... he said it would be a 2 to 3 week turn around
Old 1st January 2011
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Hmm...

Wondering if JJ and Co. might have a booth at NAMM?
Have a Sunday Pass and would love to try it out, if appropriate.

Last time out I helped Telefunken USA make a couple of sales for their C12 and 251 repro's by "Beta testing"heh(singing) through them FWIW.

Chris
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov View Post
Hmm...

Wondering if JJ and Co. might have a booth at NAMM?
Have a Sunday Pass and would love to try it out, if appropriate.

Last time out I helped Telefunken USA make a couple of sales for their C12 and 251 repro's by "Beta testing"heh(singing) through them FWIW.

Chris
We've talked about going to NAMM, however I would have to build a machine to clone Jim, so that one of him went to NAMM and one of him was still cranking out microphones.

I do a MEAN Stevie Wonder. hehheh And Jim kind of sounds like Willie Nelson.

Hmm to be honest, we're kind of like that Snoop Dogg video with Willie Nelson. Minus the weed. I rap and he plays supertime at the dude ranch music.

Peace
Illumination
Old 1st January 2011
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

"Willie Wonder"-kind of catchy.

Chris
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov View Post
"Willie Wonder"-kind of catchy.

Chris
Ware is this post going lol
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Was this underground feel a good or bad thing, in your opinion? I mean, I know you stated that u like something different, but was the original a good mic outside of it being other than what you'd prefer? I'm looking for a mic that has a unique quality. Don't want to be getting the same sound as the majority of folks, but would like a mic that allows for a good mix in the end (gritty underground hip hop, with aggressive vocals). I've got an SM7B, but also want to add a condenser to the setup. I've seen a lot of people mention the Akita, as well as the Beesneezus James as good hip hop mics, but it's tough to find samples of hip hop vox recorded over mics.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic View Post
Was this underground feel a good or bad thing, in your opinion? I mean, I know you stated that u like something different, but was the original a good mic outside of it being other than what you'd prefer? I'm looking for a mic that has a unique quality. Don't want to be getting the same sound as the majority of folks, but would like a mic that allows for a good mix in the end (gritty underground hip hop, with aggressive vocals). I've got an SM7B, but also want to add a condenser to the setup. I've seen a lot of people mention the Akita, as well as the Beesneezus James as good hip hop mics, but it's tough to find samples of hip hop vox recorded over mics.
I've heard great things about the Beesneez stuff - actually a fellow GS member offered to let me demo a few which I will be taking him up on shortly.

The akita is modeled after a C800G and comes very close. It's going to be a pretty clean sound. Great if you want naturalness and space around the vocal - and of course can always be dirtied up mix wise - but I wouldn't say it's a distinctly flavored mic.

The original Husky is certainly not objectionable. I used it on bass cab for the philly slick album - specifically "Daily Dose" where I wanted a really gritty sound. And it certainly did the task. The original Husky will do well for you if you have already a particularly aggressive voice. The new one seems to retain a faster sound a more natural shape.

If I was doing a gritty rap track, I would probably brighten up the original Husky in the mix - but I doubt I would be doing much in the way of compression - barring vocals and mix. The newer one, probably no eq necessary, but I might end up compressing it a bit - as I would with any more natural sounding mic in a gritty Hip Hop mix.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

thats what I was told about my vocals LOL.... Gritty
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've heard great things about the Beesneez stuff - actually a fellow GS member offered to let me demo a few which I will be taking him up on shortly.

The akita is modeled after a C800G and comes very close. It's going to be a pretty clean sound. Great if you want naturalness and space around the vocal - and of course can always be dirtied up mix wise - but I wouldn't say it's a distinctly flavored mic.

The original Husky is certainly not objectionable. I used it on bass cab for the philly slick album - specifically "Daily Dose" where I wanted a really gritty sound. And it certainly did the task. The original Husky will do well for you if you have already a particularly aggressive voice. The new one seems to retain a faster sound a more natural shape.

If I was doing a gritty rap track, I would probably brighten up the original Husky in the mix - but I doubt I would be doing much in the way of compression - barring vocals and mix. The newer one, probably no eq necessary, but I might end up compressing it a bit - as I would with any more natural sounding mic in a gritty Hip Hop mix.
Word up. I have a thin, scratchy, yet somewhat deep voice, so it's pretty unique, yet difficult to know whether a mic will work well with based on internet info. Sucks, because Guitar Center's mic collection is very limited, so testings a variety mics is consequently limited as well.

I don;t want to go with the C800G sound, simply because it has been so popularized, and what my group and I do is extremely different. It's important that we do our own thing, and I think having a unique mic goes hand-in-hand with that.

That being said, I'm eventually gonna have to break down and jus take a shot with something, because making music is the key, not debating endlessly over which mic is most ideal. I still want to see how this SM7B sounds once I get my fabric delivered and build these bass traps, reflection point panels, etc. I also plan to get an external pre in the near future, so that, with an SM7B and solid room treatment could be fairly solid. The SM7B is already sounding good in an untreated space, so I expect a decent improvement with room treatment. I do want a condenser though, so I guess I'll keep researching until I feel comfy to pull the trigger. In the meantime, the SM7B should hold me down nicely. Appreciate your feedback bro.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
thats what I was told about my vocals LOL.... Gritty
I think I listened to some of your stuff earlier this morning, and it was gritty, Dope voice for hip hop. Were u the one testing the MK-219, SM7B, etc?
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
I think I listened to some of your stuff earlier this morning, and it was gritty, Dope voice for hip hop. Were u the one testing the MK-219, SM7B, etc?
yes, that was Me lol..... I was just being a dope on the mic... not very official at all lol
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

to bad I have a cold right now because I would of loved to do a new track today just so I can show case my sm7 again LOL.... it really is a fun mic.... Like I was saying before, I was just playing some of my really older tracks and I could not believe how good them old vocals sounded back then so thats why Im taking the plunge on a new mic again.... I used to think it was the pre but after hearing older tracks I figured out that it was the mic it self LOL
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

I wonder if anyone on GS could fix my MK???? Hmmm... Id hate to get rid of it
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes, that was Me lol..... I was just being a dope on the mic... not very official at all lol
Haha! Word up. I mean, you were jus testing em out though, haha. It's all gravy.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
to bad I have a cold right now because I would of loved to do a new track today just so I can show case my sm7 again LOL.... it really is a fun mic.... Like I was saying before, I was just playing some of my really older tracks and I could not believe how good them old vocals sounded back then so thats why Im taking the plunge on a new mic again.... I used to think it was the pre but after hearing older tracks I figured out that it was the mic it self LOL
I jus recorded a short track with the SM7B. Unmixed though, and no room treatment, so I'm somewhat unsure of posting tracks until my room is solid. I'm also running out of the Duet preamps, though they are doing a decent job in my opinion. Room treatment and something like a Great River are my next moves. Treatment starts this wednesday. Amped about that!
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
I jus recorded a short track with the SM7B. Unmixed though, and no room treatment, so I'm somewhat unsure of posting tracks until my room is solid. I'm also running out of the Duet preamps, though they are doing a decent job in my opinion. Room treatment and something like a Great River are my next moves. Treatment starts this wednesday. Amped about that!
You could run a Maximizer and this will really bring up your vox... thats what I do with the sm7.... a little maximizer a lil comp and a lil re-verb....
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
You could run a Maximizer and this will really bring up your vox... thats what I do with the sm7.... a little maximizer a lil comp and a lil re-verb....
never heard of the maximizer. is there one in pro tools, or would i find it elsewhere? I can jus upload what i have at this point, really. if you got headphones u can hear it fine. i turned down the backing track considerably, so the producer who made it could see where i was coming from. i'll up it now. what's the best method? i usually have done rapidshare links, but see others doing something here where you can jus click a play button and listen directly from the thread. you know how to do this?
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
never heard of the maximizer. is there one in pro tools, or would i find it elsewhere? I can jus upload what i have at this point, really. if you got headphones u can hear it fine. i turned down the backing track considerably, so the producer who made it could see where i was coming from. i'll up it now. what's the best method? i usually have done rapidshare links, but see others doing something here where you can jus click a play button and listen directly from the thread. you know how to do this?
yes.... when you post then look right under ware you write you will see a spot ware it will let you upload a file..... max, limiters and comp are all dynamics so they should all be in the same place in your plug ins... i use cubase so i dont know ware it would be in pro tools
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Word up....good lookin brotha. Here it is. Completely unmixed, but I'll also be sure to repost it when it's mixed, and possibly even rerecorded with treatment. A cat I went to high school with plays the sax, so he is playing live sax on this, but also produces using the MPC and Logic, I believe.
Attached Files
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Sweet... anybody ever tell you you sound a lil like Red Man.... at least to me... you have a great vocal bro... the beat is hot too... keep up the great work...
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sweet... anybody ever tell you you sound a lil like Red Man.... at least to me... you have a great vocal bro... the beat is hot too... keep up the great work...
Thanks bro! I actually have heard that like once, though I honestly thought that was the closest someone ever came when comparing my voice to a well-known emcee. I've also heard PSC from Living Legends, MF DOOM, among others. I can really hear the Redman sound, after someone mentioned it. Never woulda thought about it. One of my favorite emcees ever, it so happens, haha. I wonder what mic Redman usually steps in front of... : D

I'm glad you dug the track man! How did the unmixed vocal sound on your system? Thin? Harsh? Okay? Solid? I have no CD-R's, so I haven't been able to listen in the car, or a different sound system, to compare the sound with my studio sound. Thanks for checking me out.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks bro! I actually have heard that like once, though I honestly thought that was the closest someone ever came when comparing my voice to a well-known emcee. I've also heard PSC from Living Legends, MF DOOM, among others. I can really hear the Redman sound, after someone mentioned it. Never woulda thought about it. One of my favorite emcees ever, it so happens, haha. I wonder what mic Redman usually steps in front of... : D

I'm glad you dug the track man! How did the unmixed vocal sound on your system? Thin? Harsh? Okay? Solid? I have no CD-R's, so I haven't been able to listen in the car, or a different sound system, to compare the sound with my studio sound. Thanks for checking me out.
I played it off my phone in my car and it was low... but your vox sounded fine... just needs a lil mixing some verb comp and eq.. it would be sweet
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I played it off my phone in my car and it was low... but your vox sounded fine... just needs a lil mixing some verb comp and eq.. it would be sweet
That's wassup! You pretty much always need some reverb with the SM7B huh? I'm in the living room, right near the fridge, and it isn't picking up anything but my voice and a baby bit of room when I play vox only. Insanity!
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
That's wassup! You pretty much always need some reverb with the SM7B huh? I'm in the living room, right near the fridge, and it isn't picking up anything but my voice and a baby bit of room when I play vox only. Insanity!
I always ad a lil verb, even if its a tad on the low end... I cut the high of the verb and ad the low... it just help bring the mix together a little bit.... I use just around 6% of verb, nothing crazy.... it ads life .... I dont like to kill it with fx when it comes to hiphop but if Im doing electro then well thats a whole other story lol....
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Word up....good lookin brotha. Here it is. Completely unmixed, but I'll also be sure to repost it when it's mixed, and possibly even rerecorded with treatment. A cat I went to high school with plays the sax, so he is playing live sax on this, but also produces using the MPC and Logic, I believe.
Dude - you have a super cool voice!

Honestly, I would be more inclined to try something of the 67 variety on your voice. That dirty midrange 600-1khz thing you have going on is something I would want to play up sonically, and 67 is a bit more aggressive in the midrange than the 47 or 87.

Also - what pre amp are you working with?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dude - you have a super cool voice!

Honestly, I would be more inclined to try something of the 67 variety on your voice. That dirty midrange 600-1khz thing you have going on is something I would want to play up sonically, and 67 is a bit more aggressive in the midrange than the 47 or 87.

Also - what pre amp are you working with?
Thanks bro! A 67 huh? That's wild. A guy at Sweetwater has been recommending something like that, specifically, the MA-200. Yet, I've heard the MA-200 isn't a true clone, just an attempt with big differences. I've also been told that mic is very sibilant, and while I don;t struggle with this too much, I have a harshness that can come thru, so I've been worried about that.

What kind of mic would you recommend? Illacov and I have been discussing the possibility that one of the JJ Audio mics would be great for me (Pitbull with a K67 capsule mod). What thoughts/recommendations do you have, if any? I'm just running the SM7B through the Duet preamp right now. Thinking of going with a Great River in the near future, but focusing on room treatment at the present,

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search