The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JJ Audio Husky (U47 inspired) Condenser Microphones
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

Does anyone have links to the sites I need to go to to get all the parts?
Old 5th January 2011
JJ Audio Husky (U47 inspired)

This guy named google does. Open your box, look at what type opamp is in it and google "_______ upgrade" replacement, substitute, modification, etc & research what you would think is best.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoLeoLeo View Post
This guy named google does. Open your box, look at what type opamp are in it and google "_______ upgrade" replacement, substitute, modification, etc & research what you would think is best.
Maybe I was just being a little lazy LOL......
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

I figured someone mite of already did the mod so I could of just did the same one they did LOL.... maybe even buy the same stuff frome the same places LOL
Old 5th January 2011

I did, but been a while do can't remember which opamp I did. There are few options and i went with the ones everyone liked more. Got my samples from Texas Instruments. If it's worth the shipping and time away from equip, I'll mod it and fix that mic too.

The eureka mod I did for 2 friends. I don't own any. It sounded better when I brought it back to them they said, sounded WAY better then his previous recordings, but I didn't record the previous... So... But it is better. How much so???
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
I did, but been a while do can't remember which opamp I did. There are few options and i went with the ones everyone liked more. Got my samples from Texas Instruments. If it's worth the shipping and time away from equip, I'll mod it and fix that mic too.
Im sure I can figure it out, thanks for the offer though.... We have a artist that is going to start working on his project really soon so I wonted to really clean things up for him to lay it down... One of the producers that I work with is tripping a little just because we have to wait on the mic I want JJ to build so you can only guess the rest lol....

Guess thats the studio life.....
Old 5th January 2011

Figured I'd offer. Some people are not ok with opening things up. But the mod is easy and will not mess up the gear. Plug and play.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Daisy Chain Inquiry

Okay guys...

So my question is, if I use an outboard compressor, a separate external preamp, a separate outboard equalizer and the apogee duet, am I able to link them one-by-one to the duet with solid results?

What I mean is: Mic--->Preamp--->Compressor--->equalizer--->Interface.

Does that work, if you just connect the output of one device to the input of the next, and so on?

Also, if this does work, what is the best order for this setup? Mainly, should the EQ go before the compressor in the chain, or vie versa?

Thanks for any assistance.
Old 13th January 2011

Perfectly fine. If I had that chain for tracking. I'd use pre>eq>comp>interface. I'd only use the eq for a filter. If it didn't have a filter, I'd leave it out. It's all preference. But yes, you can hook up your gear that way.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Perfectly fine. If I had that chain for tracking. I'd use pre>eq>comp>interface. I'd only use the eq for a filter. If it didn't have a filter, I'd leave it out. It's all preference. But yes, you can hook up your gear that way.
Dope!!!

Now, what do you mean by using the eq as a filter? You wouldn't turn any knobs whatsoever? If you can, please explain to me what you'd do and why. This sounds interesting.
Old 13th January 2011

Google these or search on this site for these types of eq's:

Filter

Shelf

Parametric

Graphic
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Filter

Shelf

Parametric

Graphic
Okay cool. I think I know which of those my eq is, but will certainly read up on all of those now. I appreciate your help.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Filter

Shelf

Parametric

Graphic
So I read up, and it looks like filter is associated with all of the above terms. I'm assuming this is because EQ, in essence, IS simply filtering. We filter out (or lower/lessen) what we don't want to hear, and we filter in (or heighten/increase) what we want to hear stand out more. Is this what you meant? In that case, wouldn't everything that one does in terms of EQing be considered filtering? Are you speaking specifically about high/low pass filtering?

I understand a bit more, but want to know what you meant specifically when you said you'd use an EQ as a filter only. I know it was just a preference of yours, but I like to learn.

On a side note, I am thinking EQ before compression may make more sense as well, if I'm correct in assuming that getting the frequencies to the level you want them at prior to compressing the high and low peaks will generate more of a what we typically are looking for in a solid recording. If one were to compress first, you change the range of the frequencies, so that EQing from that point renders less of a realistic balance between high and low peaks, and essentially, you'd feel an urge to compress yet again. I hope that makes sense, and that I'm not way off base with this sort of thinking.

Feel free to chime in, anyone and everyone!
Old 13th January 2011

Yes I was refering to hi and lo pass filters.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes I was refering to hi and lo pass filters.
Oh ok, word up. Thanks. Dos that mean you'd fool with any specific EQing ITB, after tracking?
Old 13th January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic

So I read up, and it looks like filter is associated with all of the above terms. I'm assuming this is because EQ, in essence, IS simply filtering. We filter out (or lower/lessen) what we don't want to hear, and we filter in (or heighten/increase) what we want to hear stand out more. Is this what you meant? In that case, wouldn't everything that one does in terms of EQing be considered filtering?
No. You can't "filter in" & also filtering a signal doesn't lessen freqs level, it totally removes that freq at a determined freq.

The term you are looking for is cut & boost or additive & subtractive.
Old 13th January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic

Oh ok, word up. Thanks. Dos that mean you'd fool with any specific EQing ITB, after tracking?
I use console & outboard eq's. But when itb I use req6.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
No. You can't "filter in" & also filtering a signal doesn't lessen freqs, it totally removes that freq at a determined freq.

The term you are looking for is cut & boost or additive & subtractive.
Pardon me, you are correct and I've been for too long today, haha. My eyes and brain are friend. It would be a cut or boost, as opposed to filter. Pardon me and thanks for pointing that out in here.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search