The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JJ Audio Husky (U47 inspired) Condenser Microphones
Old 3rd January 2011
  #31
Gear Addict
 
Castro_Bigdog's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic View Post
Thanks bro! A 67 huh? That's wild. A guy at Sweetwater has been recommending something like that, specifically, the MA-200. Yet, I've heard the MA-200 isn't a true clone, just an attempt with big differences. I've also been told that mic is very sibilant, and while I don;t struggle with this too much, I have a harshness that can come thru, so I've been worried about that.

What kind of mic would you recommend? Illacov and I have been discussing the possibility that one of the JJ Audio mics would be great for me (Pitbull with a K67 capsule mod). What thoughts/recommendations do you have, if any? I'm just running the SM7B through the Duet preamp right now. Thinking of going with a Great River in the near future, but focusing on room treatment at the present,
The duet is a clean AD... if I was you id get a nice channel strip .... it's like night and day
Old 3rd January 2011
  #32
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro_Bigdog View Post
The duet is a clean AD... if I was you id get a nice channel strip .... it's like night and day
You mean, you think the Duet isn't sufficient? A tube amp would be better? Why the channel strip? I'm just getting started as far as my own setup, so I won't be getting a new audio interface/channel strip for some time. I'm on this room treatment, then a condenser mic for the time being. Soon after that, I'll get an external preamp....or so goes the current plan, haha.
Old 3rd January 2011
  #33
Gear Addict
 
Castro_Bigdog's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic View Post
You mean, you think the Duet isn't sufficient? A tube amp would be better? Why the channel strip? I'm just getting started as far as my own setup, so I won't be getting a new audio interface/channel strip for some time. I'm on this room treatment, then a condenser mic for the time being. Soon after that, I'll get an external preamp....or so goes the current plan, haha.
No, what im saying is that the AD-DA conversion of the Duet is clean and good... if your going to get anything id get a nice channel strip to run in your mic chain... you will hear the difference right away
Old 3rd January 2011
  #34
Gear Addict
 
Castro_Bigdog's Avatar
 

The sm7 will come to life when you run it through a channel strip... then when you ad mic to your locker it will blow you a way lol
Old 3rd January 2011
  #35
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro_Bigdog View Post
The sm7 will come to life when you run it through a channel strip... then when you ad mic to your locker it will blow you a way lol
I guess i'm not really hip to the major difference between a channel strip and an audio interface, outside of eq, compressor, etc. Is that what you're saying? I need to look into a compressor/eq channel strip?
Old 3rd January 2011
  #36
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Ah, okay, I think I get where you're coming from. You're saying bypass the Duet's preamp, but use it's converter, and then get a channel strip to serve as the preamp, with a compressor and eq and all, right?
Old 3rd January 2011
  #37
Gear Addict
 
Castro_Bigdog's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic View Post
Ah, okay, I think I get where you're coming from. You're saying bypass the Duet's preamp, but use it's converter, and then get a channel strip to serve as the preamp, with a compressor and eq and all, right?
Right On!!!!!! Yes
Old 3rd January 2011
  #38
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro_Bigdog View Post
Right On!!!!!! Yes
Haha, word up. The only thing is, I'd rather do mixing using Pro Tools, and really was looking into getting the Great River ME-1NV, which doesn't come in channel strip form. As a side note, I've never mixed a track before, so I have zero experience, and was planning on learning via trial and error, while still going outside of self to have tracks mixed.

It seems some people like to use the EQ and Compressor on the strip, and others use the tools in their software. I'd rather save money at this point, since I don't have enough for a solid channel strip, and can mix ITB. What are you using?

Also, I definitely don't want the SM7B to be my only mic, and was looking to get a condenser to compliment it first, followed by a preamp/channel strip. Then, I'd be set for some time. I think the Duet preamp will be okay for the time being though, u know? With room treatment as my main focus at the present, I'm thinking a condenser through the Duet preamps will be at least decent until I upgrade my gear. In case I didn't explain, I just purchased all of this equipment (an iMac, HS80M's, Duet, Pro Tools 9, computer desk, DIY treatment materials) and am doing room treatment this week, so funds are kinda dry for a while anyway

I am interested in the reasoning behind some folks choosing to mix ITB and others preferring to use a channel strip. Are there sonic differences? Is it just a person preference type of deal?

Last edited by hereticskeptic; 3rd January 2011 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: Clarity purposes
Old 3rd January 2011
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic View Post
Thanks bro! A 67 huh? That's wild. A guy at Sweetwater has been recommending something like that, specifically, the MA-200. Yet, I've heard the MA-200 isn't a true clone, just an attempt with big differences. I've also been told that mic is very sibilant, and while I don;t struggle with this too much, I have a harshness that can come thru, so I've been worried about that.

What kind of mic would you recommend? Illacov and I have been discussing the possibility that one of the JJ Audio mics would be great for me (Pitbull with a K67 capsule mod). What thoughts/recommendations do you have, if any? I'm just running the SM7B through the Duet preamp right now. Thinking of going with a Great River in the near future, but focusing on room treatment at the present,
My experience with the MA-200 was I used it - thought it sounded absolutely horrendous, and never touched one again. Thin and harsh - and certainly not anything like a U67.

The Pitbull is 87ish in it's response and grab. Which is markedly smoother sounding. Good mic - it would probably even your voice out - but I would be inclined to play up the dirtiness in your voice. There are 67-style JJ mics, as well as other 67 emulations across the board.

Treating your room will definitely make a big difference. Stepping up the preamp will be a good look.
Old 3rd January 2011
  #40
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
My experience with the MA-200 was I used it - thought it sounded absolutely horrendous, and never touched one again. Thin and harsh - and certainly not anything like a U67.

The Pitbull is 87ish in it's response and grab. Which is markedly smoother sounding. Good mic - it would probably even your voice out - but I would be inclined to play up the dirtiness in your voice. There are 67-style JJ mics, as well as other 67 emulations across the board.

Treating your room will definitely make a big difference. Stepping up the preamp will be a good look.
Word up! Been waiting for you to come around, haha.

Spent a lot of time reading last night/this morning (need to take my ass to sleep, ha!). I read a post where Jim from JJ Audio stated that their Daisy mic is along the lines of a 67. Thoughts?

I also have been talking to Illacov, who has recommended the Pitbull, but with the european K67 capsule, which he says will give it more umph, and help with my voice being thin. I like how that sounds, but am also EXTREMELY interested in what you're saying, as my group's style has and always will center around a more rough-edged approach. To be honest, I'm interested in picking up the Pitbull, as well as a 67-style mic eventually! You've got me thinking 67 first though.

I took the liberty of reading up on the 67 and it seems that the mids are a bit more emphasized with the 67 than the 47 and 87. That sounds like something that would help with the thin voice. Can you explain to me why the 67 would play up the dirtiness in my voice? What is it about the 67, specifically? What 67 emulators would you recommend? I'm definitely leaning toward doing business with JJ Audio, just from my experience with them thus far, but would like to hear what recommendations you might have, as I'm very new in my understanding of mic qualities, brands, builds, etc.

Oh yeah...I'm all over the room treatment. I'll be doing a lot of that before I get a new mic and preamp. Appreciate you hittin me back brotha, seriously. I have a lot to learn, and have't really had anyone recommend me a mic for my voice with reasoning that I could truly feel. I definitely don't want to be thin, hence the attraction to the 87-style Pitbull, but I REALLY would like to keep that rough edge. Damn....I want it all huh? Haaaa!
Old 3rd January 2011
  #41
Gear Addict
 
Castro_Bigdog's Avatar
 

I used to run my mics without a strip and use my daw plugs and it was OK but as soon as I added it it was like night and day... Im a firm believer in the better the sound going in the better over all.... I try to get the vox as fat and and clean as I can before I send it to the DAW... This is just how I like to do it... I use a Presonus Channel Strip for now and I like it... I will be getting a UA Strip soon though after I get my new Mic..... I love the UA stuff when it comes to old school gear LOL... pluss they look cool




Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic View Post
Haha, word up. The only thing is, I'd rather do mixing using Pro Tools, and really was looking into getting the Great River ME-1NV, which doesn't come in channel strip form. As a side note, I've never mixed a track before, so I have zero experience, and was planning on learning via trial and error, while still going outside of self to have tracks mixed.

It seems some people like to use the EQ and Compressor on the strip, and others use the tools in their software. I'd rather save money at this point, since I don't have enough for a solid channel strip, and can mix ITB. What are you using?

Also, I definitely don't want the SM7B to be my only mic, and was looking to get a condenser to compliment it first, followed by a preamp/channel strip. Then, I'd be set for some time. I think the Duet preamp will be okay for the time being though, u know? With room treatment as my main focus at the present, I'm thinking a condenser through the Duet preamps will be at least decent until I upgrade my gear. In case I didn't explain, I just purchased all of this equipment (an iMac, HS80M's, Duet, Pro Tools 9, computer desk, DIY treatment materials) and am doing room treatment this week, so funds are kinda dry for a while anyway

I am interested in the reasoning behind some folks choosing to mix ITB and others preferring to use a channel strip. Are there sonic differences? Is it just a person preference type of deal?
Old 3rd January 2011
  #42
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro_Bigdog View Post
I used to run my mics without a strip and use my daw plugs and it was OK but as soon as I added it it was like night and day... Im a firm believer in the better the sound going in the better over all.... I try to get the vox as fat and and clean as I can before I send it to the DAW... This is just how I like to do it... I use a Presonus Channel Strip for now and I like it... I will be getting a UA Strip soon though after I get my new Mic..... I love the UA stuff when it comes to old school gear LOL... pluss they look cool
Word! What Presonus joint are you using? Our studio in Denver uses the Eureka, but I think we should go with something dirtier, unless we get a dirtier mic in the lineup. The AT3035 has been coo, but it's been time to upgrade.

So, when people use channel strips, does someone EQ/Compress your vocals while they are being recorded, then you find the settings you dig and leave the settings as such for successive recording sessions? It confuses me a bit how that process works, since I've never done it.

I'm tellin you....there comes a time in every man's life where he realizes being a vocalist alone is not enough, haha. I need to know how things work in the realm of music recording on a broader scale, and that' what I'm finally starting to try and do. I love to learn, but I find myself thinking, "Man, I should have been asking these questions three years ago."

Last edited by hereticskeptic; 3rd January 2011 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: Grammar correction
Old 3rd January 2011
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
K - here goes. My text is in bold to help differentiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic View Post
Word up! Been waiting for you to come around, haha.

Spent a lot of time reading last night/this morning (need to take my ass to sleep, ha!). I read a post where Jim from JJ Audio stated that their Daisy mic is along the lines of a 67. Thoughts?

The Daisy is a 67 emulation. I tried one version with the stock capsule, which sounded very good, and one version with a real deal Neumann capsule - which sound incredible. That's the mic I used on Noesis' voice on the EP "Everything's Game" by Philadelphia Slick (he's the main rapper).

YouTube - Everything Must Go by Philadelphia Slick

Noesis sort of has a thinner voice, and it helped give it some body.

I also have been talking to Illacov, who has recommended the Pitbull, but with the european K67 capsule, which he says will give it more umph, and help with my voice being thin. I like how that sounds, but am also EXTREMELY interested in what you're saying, as my group's style has and always will center around a more rough-edged approach. To be honest, I'm interested in picking up the Pitbull, as well as a 67-style mic eventually! You've got me thinking 67 first though.

I have two Pitbulls with stock ADK capsules. They sit pretty much permanently as drum OHs at the studio I work out of. I haven't heard the new capsules JJ has been sourcing yet - so I can't comment one way or the other. Pitbulls function very similar to 87s. 87 style mics are generally a little rounding in the high end, and "smooth" sounding.

I took the liberty of reading up on the 67 and it seems that the mids are a bit more emphasized with the 67 than the 47 and 87. That sounds like something that would help with the thin voice. Can you explain to me why the 67 would play up the dirtiness in my voice? What is it about the 67, specifically? What 67 emulators would you recommend? I'm definitely leaning toward doing business with JJ Audio, just from my experience with them thus far, but would like to hear what recommendations you might have, as I'm very new in my understanding of mic qualities, brands, builds, etc.

A 67, 87, or 47 would all thicken up your voice really. The question is to what texture, and what frequency areas. A 47 is going to really enhance the low end and low mids of your voice. The 87 will enhance the low mids, and also add a nice presence in the upper mids. The U67 is going to ehnhace that 600-1.5khz area - the mid mids - which is where a lot of those edgier overtones in your voice are living. It'll bring that growl forward in a way that simple eq doesn't really do.

Oh yeah...I'm all over the room treatment. I'll be doing a lot of that before I get a new mic and preamp. Appreciate you hittin me back brotha, seriously. I have a lot to learn, and have't really had anyone recommend me a mic for my voice with reasoning that I could truly feel. I definitely don't want to be thin, hence the attraction to the 87-style Pitbull, but I REALLY would like to keep that rough edge. Damn....I want it all huh? Haaaa!

47, 67, or 87 will help bulk your voice up. It's which texture you want - deep and sultry with a 47, aggressive and hard with a 67, or smooth and colorful with an 87. Any three would probably yield good results - I would be inclined to TRY the 67. Of course, without actually putting you in front of the mic - this is educated speculation at the end of the day.
Old 4th January 2011
  #44
Lives for gear
 
indie's Avatar
 

Any pictures of the current Husky?
Old 4th January 2011
  #45
Lives for gear
 
illacov's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
Any pictures of the current Husky?
We are going to use the Nady 1050 body for the Husky builds from this point on, the parts are barely fitting into the Apex 460 platform. However they will still sound absolutely SWEET.

Hows that modded ADK working for you?

I need that Van "Crazy Love," clip again.

Peace
Illumination
Old 4th January 2011
  #46
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
K - here goes. My text is in bold to help differentiate
Indeed. It sounds like the 67 would be my first move, and then go from there. A Daisy with a Neumann K67 capsule would probably cost like $1250+, but that's solid, coinsidering how much the vintage U67s are costing, and the fact that a good 67 emulator seems so difficult to find. Also, I like the idea of having a custom-built mic that few may have. I'll look into the Daisy with the Neumann capsule first. Looks like I got somesaving to do. heh I really want that one go-to mic for my own voice, and it sounds like the Daisy would be a solid start in my search.

I think I'll definitely grab a Pitbull as well, since you can;t really go wrong with a variety of mics, and there are sure to be occasions where the growl works better, as well as occasions when a smoother sound works better. Would you say the Pitbull with the stock capsule is enough for a thin voice, or would you recommend the Neumann capsule mod as well? Illacov recommended the Neumann capsule for my voice, so I was kinda leaning in that direction in terms of Pitbull specifications.

Again, thanks for your help and insight man.
Old 4th January 2011
  #47
Gear Addict
 
Castro_Bigdog's Avatar
 

Bro, I wish I knew half the stuff I know now like 8 years ago, Id be rich by Now LOL.... Anyway, I have the Presonus Studio Channel... Its the one just under your friends they are using... I like it as far as a lower end strip goes... I cant wait to get a Big Dog like a UA strip though.... You can get alot more use out of one of them when it comes to beat making too....

Yes I do Comp., and EQ a little going into my DA-AD but not to much just maybe a tad... I finish off the vox in my daw in the main mix at the end...

Like I was saying, I try to get everything sounding as good as I can going in then I tinker with it later in the Main Mix of the session.... Kind of like the icing on the cake LOL.....

I even run my kicks and snares and hats through my strip to give them that extra BLOW!!!

Ive Used Old crappy pre's just so I can get that old school sound on some of my Kicks just for HIPHOP feel...

A friend once told me "If it sounds right, It is right" LOL



Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic View Post
Word! What Presonus joint are you using? Our studio in Denver uses the Eureka, but I think we should go with something dirtier, unless we get a dirtier mic in the lineup. The AT3035 has been coo, but it's been time to upgrade.

So, when people use channel strips, does someone EQ/Compress your vocals while they are being recorded, then you find the settings you dig and leave the settings as such for successive recording sessions? It confuses me a bit how that process works, since I've never done it.

I'm tellin you....there comes a time in every man's life where he realizes being a vocalist alone is not enough, haha. I need to know how things work in the realm of music recording on a broader scale, and that' what I'm finally starting to try and do. I love to learn, but I find myself thinking, "Man, I should have been asking these questions three years ago."
Old 4th January 2011
  #48
JJ Audio Husky (U47 inspired)

It's SUPER easy to mod the presonus eureka. Prob the studio channel too.

I'm to too huge on channel strips, but I use consoles so I got lots of em. Prefer individual units.

I am a bigger fan of not eq'ing in. Reason:
I'd change other variable before eq while tracking. Why? Consistanty. It's same song to song tonally. Never wonder "how did I eq him? Cause...I don't! Except filter pre comp @70. For vocals I just go for full natural neurtal vocal sound. Save the eq for later sculpting unless something is just nasty.
Old 4th January 2011
  #49
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro_Bigdog View Post
Bro, I wish I knew half the stuff I know now like 8 years ago, Id be rich by Now LOL.... Anyway, I have the Presonus Studio Channel... Its the one just under your friends they are using... I like it as far as a lower end strip goes... I cant wait to get a Big Dog like a UA strip though.... You can get alot more use out of one of them when it comes to beat making too....

Yes I do Comp., and EQ a little going into my DA-AD but not to much just maybe a tad... I finish off the vox in my daw in the main mix at the end...

Like I was saying, I try to get everything sounding as good as I can going in then I tinker with it later in the Main Mix of the session.... Kind of like the icing on the cake LOL.....

I even run my kicks and snares and hats through my strip to give them that extra BLOW!!!

Ive Used Old crappy pre's just so I can get that old school sound on some of my Kicks just for HIPHOP feel...

A friend once told me "If it sounds right, It is right" LOL
Word up! The dope thing was that, 8 years ago, you were probably just doing it solely for the art, and now you've realized you have to be more professional as part of the growth process. It's a double-edged sword, of sorts. So the Eureka isn't that bad huh? I wish the ME-1NV came in a cheaper channel strip version. I'm still kinda confused as to the exact process that you go through to use your channel strip's EQ and compressor. Can it be used after the recording has finished, or is someone turning knobs while you record? I am a one-man operation at this point, since I was forced to move back to Seattle. I'll be with my group within the next year though.
Old 4th January 2011
  #50
Gear Addict
 
Castro_Bigdog's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic View Post
Word up! The dope thing was that, 8 years ago, you were probably just doing it solely for the art, and now you've realized you have to be more professional as part of the growth process. It's a double-edged sword, of sorts. So the Eureka isn't that bad huh? I wish the ME-1NV came in a cheaper channel strip version. I'm still kinda confused as to the exact process that you go through to use your channel strip's EQ and compressor. Can it be used after the recording has finished, or is someone turning knobs while you record? I am a one-man operation at this point, since I was forced to move back to Seattle. I'll be with my group within the next year though.
set the strip to your sweet spot and leave it
Old 4th January 2011
  #51
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro_Bigdog View Post
set the strip to your sweet spot and leave it
See, that is kinda dope right there!
Old 4th January 2011
  #52
Gear Addict
 
Castro_Bigdog's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic View Post
See, that is kinda dope right there!
LOL Yep thumbsup
Old 4th January 2011
  #53
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro_Bigdog View Post
LOL Yep thumbsup
Now, I'm starting to fall in love wit the idea of this modded GAP 73, haha! Also, folks are sayin it may be better to get your pre, comp and eq as separate units. In the end, i bet it aint even that big of a deal, especially for hip hop heads. We naturally prefer our ish to be a little dirty, at least. Well, maybe not the C800G folks, but i'm coo with all that, ha!
Old 4th January 2011
  #54
Gear Addict
 
Castro_Bigdog's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic View Post
Now, I'm starting to fall in love wit the idea of this modded GAP 73, haha! Also, folks are sayin it may be better to get your pre, comp and eq as separate units. In the end, i bet it aint even that big of a deal, especially for hip hop heads. We naturally prefer our ish to be a little dirty, at least. Well, maybe not the C800G folks, but i'm coo with all that, ha!
I like the idea of the strip because its all in one and there for would be less line feed, at least you would think
Old 4th January 2011
  #55
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro_Bigdog View Post
I like the idea of the strip because its all in one and there for would be less line feed, at least you would think
Oh, you mean less noise from a lengthy chain, right?
Old 4th January 2011
  #56
Gear Addict
 
Castro_Bigdog's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic View Post
Oh, you mean less noise from a lengthy chain, right?
Yes
Old 4th January 2011
  #57
Gear Addict
 
Castro_Bigdog's Avatar
 

who mods them???



Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoLeoLeo View Post
It's SUPER easy to mod the presonus eureka. Prob the studio channel too.

I'm to too huge on channel strips, but I use consoles so I got lots of em. Prefer individual units.

I am a bigger fan of not eq'ing in. Reason:
I'd change other variable before eq while tracking. Why? Consistanty. It's same song to song tonally. Never wonder "how did I eq him? Cause...I don't! Except filter pre comp @70. For vocals I just go for full natural neurtal vocal sound. Save the eq for later sculpting unless something is just nasty.
Old 4th January 2011
  #58
JJ Audio Husky (U47 inspired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro_Bigdog
who mods them???


I can, I bet you could. Super easy. Just replacing the opamps that are in IC sockets. They even give samples away.
Old 5th January 2011
  #59
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoLeoLeo View Post
I can, I bet you could. Super easy. Just replacing the opamps that are in IC sockets. They even give samples away.
+1

A simple tube or opamp upgrade can go a long way.

And I should add, you don't necessarily need to buy a 100$ amp or tube.
Old 5th January 2011
  #60
JJ Audio Husky (U47 inspired)

Texas Instruments gives away opamp samples w/free shipping. I always replace the Chinese 12ax7's with old 12au7's. Mod takes 5 minutes and requires a screwdriver and needlenose pliers.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Analog / So much gear, so little time
12
Velvetfreddy / So much gear, so little time
33
rene-lemieux / Q+A with producer / engineer Ken Scott
50
Castro_Bigdog / High end
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump