The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hip Hop/Rap vocals Dynamic Microphones
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Hip Hop/Rap vocals

Heeey everybody! so ive been producing music for about a year now and will be recording my first rapper. I have much good equipment like mics and a nice little motu 896mk3 interface as well as logic pro 9 and focal monitors and all that good stuff hah. I am seeking help for mastering techniques, like what base inserts to use for a nice clean crisp sound. should i record with two mics? maybe three? please guide me as i am a lost sheep and a sad panda.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-G-Z View Post
Heeey everybody! so ive been producing music for about a year now and will be recording my first rapper. I have much good equipment like mics and a nice little motu 896mk3 interface as well as logic pro 9 and focal monitors and all that good stuff hah. I am seeking help for mastering techniques, like what base inserts to use for a nice clean crisp sound. should i record with two mics? maybe three? please guide me as i am a lost sheep and a sad panda.

If you have the Money, Use One Mic for your main Vox and use a "In your face" Mic for the hook.... I do like the SM7 for Hooks but Im not sure yet what Mic I like the most for Main Vocals, at least for mine LOL..... Have fun and make sure you have a good Channel Strip because it will bring out any vocal but thats just my 2 pennies
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-G-Z View Post
i think you mean general recording techniques

what you should do is try out your mics and see what sounds best to you with your rapper
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Ummm as i dont own any recording hardware yet and never recorded before it seems logic that you need:

- Quality mic (duh)
- Mic pre amp
- Knowledge about compressing and Eq'ing and that's about it i gues ?.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro_Bigdog View Post
If you have the Money, Use One Mic for your main Vox and use a "In your face" Mic for the hook.... I do like the SM7 for Hooks but Im not sure yet what Mic I like the most for Main Vocals, at least for mine LOL..... Have fun and make sure you have a good Channel Strip because it will bring out any vocal but thats just my 2 pennies
1 Mic seems to be enough tough. It's all about how you mix your tracks like an small example Make your hook sound a bit louder record an second track for your hook but make it sound like its in the back ground and copy that again then pan 1 totally left and other right, and then add EQ,reverb,delay etc....
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search