The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dr. Dre's produced tracks are harder to play by ear Modular Synthesizers
Old 30th December 2010
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Dr. Dre's produced tracks are harder to play by ear

I've noticed that Dr. Dre's produced tracks are harder to play by ear.
What effects are applied when mixed or recorded ? The thing is that when i try to find the pitches they are often confusing.
What is ?
Thanks!
Old 30th December 2010
  #2
Dr. Dre's produced tracks are harder to play by ear

Maybe not based on a standard 440 tuning.
Old 30th December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 

harder compared to what?
Old 31st December 2010
  #4
Gear Addict
 
Castro_Bigdog's Avatar
 

played then retuned to match sample with a MPC.... The Norm for the Doc...... Same old Style that makes all his beats Dre Beats LOL....
Old 1st January 2011
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

LeoLeoLeo "Maybe not based on a standard 440 tuning."
What you mean ?

beat you down "harder compared to what? "
See at second 31. It's just recorded and it's hard to play by ear.
YouTube - Justin Bieber talking about Justbeats headphones in the studio with Dr. Dre f/ Pray

Castro_Bigdog "played then retuned to match sample with a MPC.... The Norm for the Doc...... Same old Style that makes all his beats Dre Beats LOL...."

What you mean to match the sample with the MPC Castro ?
Old 1st January 2011
  #6
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale1;6169684[..
See at second 31. It's just recorded and it's hard to play by ear.
YouTube - Justin Bieber talking about Justbeats headphones in the studio with Dr. Dre f/ Pray
[..]
It's really not hard to play by ear. It's G#, F# and E.
Simply hum along and find the corresponding keys on your keyboard.

And why not use Google or the GS search to find out about what Leo is talking about? ;-)
Old 2nd January 2011
  #7
Gear Addict
 
Castro_Bigdog's Avatar
 

there are some cases ware you have to re tune a sample to match it to a key so you could stack a beat or fill it....



Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale1 View Post
LeoLeoLeo "Maybe not based on a standard 440 tuning."
What you mean ?

beat you down "harder compared to what? "
See at second 31. It's just recorded and it's hard to play by ear.
YouTube - Justin Bieber talking about Justbeats headphones in the studio with Dr. Dre f/ Pray

Castro_Bigdog "played then retuned to match sample with a MPC.... The Norm for the Doc...... Same old Style that makes all his beats Dre Beats LOL...."

What you mean to match the sample with the MPC Castro ?
Old 2nd January 2011
  #8
Gear Maniac
 

I think he either used a compressor or limiter when recorded and that is affecting the fundamental of a note. It's wrong ?
Old 2nd January 2011
  #9
Dr. Dre's produced tracks are harder to play by ear

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_(music)?wasRedirected=true

A440 refers to master tuning of instrument played.

When samples are speed up or slowed down they can be inbetween standard tunings. Sharper or flatter. So no matter what note you hit on the keyboard will not be in key, unless you change the master tuning, hence, not A440.

When dealing with tuning, forget about compressors.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale1 View Post
I think he either used a compressor or limiter when recorded and that is affecting the fundamental of a note. It's wrong ?
no way a compressor or limiter does that.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #11
Gear Maniac
 

I'm not the best keyboard player but i noticed on songs like Busta Rhymes - The Big Bang (album), The Game - This is how we do, Dr. Dre - The next episode etc that it's harder for me to find the notes compared to others songs where it's much more easier!
But i don't know why. Could it be the Eq ? Or just the fact that is recorded in / trough the MPC ? (I think those are the last two options)
Old 2nd January 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
johndykstra's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoLeoLeo View Post
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_(music)?wasRedirected=true

A440 refers to master tuning of instrument played.

When samples are speed up or slowed down they can be inbetween standard tunings. Sharper or flatter. So no matter what note you hit on the keyboard will not be in key, unless you change the master tuning, hence, not A440.

When dealing with tuning, forget about compressors.
the answer is right here. you can close this thread now
Old 2nd January 2011
  #13
Here for the gear
 
Parker's Avatar
 

Dr. Dre's produced tracks are harder to play by ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale1
I'm not the best keyboard player but i noticed on songs like Busta Rhymes - The Big Bang (album), The Game - This is how we do, Dr. Dre - The next episode etc that it's harder for me to find the notes compared to others songs where it's much more easier!
But i don't know why. Could it be the Eq ? Or just the fact that is recorded in / trough the MPC ? (I think those are the last two options)


I get what ur saying bro. - sometimes tracks are made and a&rs request for them to be made faster or slower for the clubs.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #14
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale1 View Post
I'm not the best keyboard player but i noticed on songs like Busta Rhymes - The Big Bang (album), The Game - This is how we do, Dr. Dre - The next episode etc that it's harder for me to find the notes compared to others songs where it's much more easier!
But i don't know why. Could it be the Eq ? Or just the fact that is recorded in / trough the MPC ? (I think those are the last two options)
It has nothing to do with anyhting other than what Leo told you!

Still, in neither the video you linked earlier, nor in the "The Next Episode" is the tuning exotic.
If you have difficulties finding the notes to play along these two, you simply need to try harder and practice.

In cases where the tuning really is different from 440, play along with an instrument where you can change the tuning of the instrument in cents.
Any sampler or (soft-)synth will probably let you do such fine tuning.
Old 3rd January 2011
  #15
g22
Lives for gear
 

440 is the standard tuning most every synth uses, but you can manually make the tune sharper or flatter to your liking by adjusting it, usually in the master edit screen of your synth. So if yours is set to the standard 440 and you never adjusted yours, but he adjusted his and set it sharper/flatter, it might sound a little different when you play yours, but a G note is still a G note, yours just may be a little sharper or flatter. If you really wanted to you could adjust your tuning to get closer to his, but unless your in a Dr Dre cover band, its really just splitting hairs.

And like Castro said, when you incorporate a sample, from say an old, real grand piano, thats likely not going to be tuned exactly the same as your modern synth, so you may have to tune your synth part up/down by a few cents maybe to match. Thus making the whole beat sound different than your standard 440 tuning.

Also, on the tracks like Next Episode, that guitar was probably tuned to his piano, and maybe done by ear, without using a digital tuner. So it might not be a perfectly exact match, thus again sounding a tad different than your perfectly tuned synth set to 440.

All that said, just make your own music and forget about match pitch exactly, besides how do you even know if your playing the same notes he is, maybe your just not playing right?
Old 3rd January 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Edward Shnapper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro_Bigdog View Post
played then retuned to match sample with a MPC.... The Norm for the Doc...... Same old Style that makes all his beats Dre Beats LOL....
I always thought Dr Dre's re made his samples. I thought he would hear a nice sample and then pay some musicians etc to duplicate it? Why would he duplicate the orignal key.. right down to the finest of cents? Furthermore, if he was to sample, 90% of the music he would be sampling would probably be in tune anyway. If he was to duplicate his sample, surely he would pitch shift minus 100 or 200 etc rather 123.23
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
morebutter / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
122
dbbubba / So much gear, so little time
140
dreamsongs / So much gear, so little time
9

Forum Jump
Forum Jump