The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is your pro tools mixing template? Dynamics Plugins
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

What is your pro tools mixing template?

I am fairly new to pro tools since I was mostly an FL/Cubase head my entire life, but decided to jump to pro tools since its industry standard. I don't know to much about bussing and what not, but what is your template like when you mix a song? My session looks simple like this:

Anyway I can set this up to benefit me and enhance my work flow? Thank you for your time!

PS. Dont flame me for having so many eqs on one track, i am fairly new to mixing also. Any books/videos that can help me on this?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
You should set up Aux Sends for your reverbs. Create a new Stereo Aux Track, place the reverb on the insert of that track, then set the input to say bus 1-2. In whatever tracks you want to go to the reverb choose bus 1-2 as a Send and adjust the amount you want.

Any time based effects such as reverb, delay, chorus, etc.. should generally be placed on Aux Tracks with sends going to them so you can blend in the effect amount with the dry track.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

First thing...name your damn tracks!

Second thing, WOW thats a lot of EQs! Learn to get more with less!

Third, I personally setup Aux tracks for subgroups and FX. My routing gets way complicated though.
Old 30th December 2010
+1 ,yea 5 to 6 EQ's per track is not needed in 99.999% of cases

I would say learn your tools more, like how Eq effects certain tracks/instruments in relation to your mix, as everything is relative and nothing is set in stone in regards to settings.

Every song that gets mixed will need different EQ settings and different things done to it, in order for that mix to shine.

I would stop wondering what others are using, as every song is different and will need different things done to it and pay more attention to:
1. Tuning your room,
2. Training your ears to your room
3. Learning the tools you have

Cj
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

The multi EQ's kinda lost me from the OPs post.
Here is the new Bonecrusher/YingYang Twins track called Popcorn Popper. Its in Logic but you still get the idea. I tracked all of my vocals with compression, D-ess,EQ so I dont use very much on the individual vocal tracks. IF I remember correctly some FX were also printed.

If I am the one that tracked the session I have a basic template I start with then build my mixing desktop based on what I need to finalize the track. If I am just mixing someone else's session then everything gets removed from the channels, auxs are built as I need them and the FX are designed based on where I want things in the mix.

EDIT: I added a recent Protools Mix Session as well.

ok..so whats the deal with the EQ's?
Attached Thumbnails
What is your pro tools mixing template?-screen-shot-2010-12-30-1.50.51-am.jpg   What is your pro tools mixing template?-screen-shot-2010-12-30-2.06.21-am.jpg  
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

My mix template consists of 23 fx busses for various verbs, delays, and other things. Main and parallel busses for drums, guitar, bass, vocals, synths...a Master Fader, a Master record track (I bounce internally), a Master Aux track that is basically a duplicate of the master record track, and some other busses in case want to do my ITB version of the Michael Brauer technique.

I also have an I/O template so all my tracks, busses, and I/O's are already labeled. 99% of my compressors, eq's, fx and sends are already loaded and properly labeled with "starting point" settings as well.

I also have about 5-10 different reference tracks depending on the style of music I'm mixing. So for instance, when I load my rock template, it loads a couple tracks from Deftones, Chevelle, and Breaking Benjamin if I'm going for that modern rock sound. If I load my Hip Hop template, some stuff from Dr Dre, T.I., Ludacris, and OutKast will load up.

My goal with my template is to take the work out of setup as much as possible. I want to mix, not look for a plugin, route a channel to a bus, or name a bunch of tracks. There are plenty of things I might not ever touch. And those things are hidden and made inactive when the template is loaded. However, if, for some odd reason, I need a 16th note ping pong delay set up, it's already there. heh
Old 30th December 2010
M2E
Lives for gear

Hey TheNext40,

I always set mine up the same way everytime so I know whatz going on no matter if I'm mixing my songs or someone else's.

I start with Kick/s then snr/'s then clap and then the rest of the drums.
I then put the bass after that and then all the keyboards.

I then put my Busses (usually 6 to 8 Mono/stereo Aux's).

Then my Master

Then my Efx's Busses

Then my Lead Vocal and all the rest of the vocals.

I'll send a screen shot if you want to see it.

Hope this helps....

Marc
Old 30th December 2010
M2E
Lives for gear

Here are a couple pictures of how I set my Mix sessions up.
Let me know if ya have any questions....

Hope this helps...

Marc
Attached Thumbnails
What is your pro tools mixing template?-mix-setup1.jpg   What is your pro tools mixing template?-mix-setup2.jpg  
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

How about vocal templates? (for rap) heh

I'd be interested to see how others approach it.
Old 30th December 2010
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
My mix template consists of 23 fx busses for various verbs, delays, and other things. Main and parallel busses for drums, guitar, bass, vocals, synths...a Master Fader, a Master record track (I bounce internally), a Master Aux track that is basically a duplicate of the master record track, and some other busses in case want to do my ITB version of the Michael Brauer technique.

I also have an I/O template so all my tracks, busses, and I/O's are already labeled. 99% of my compressors, eq's, fx and sends are already loaded and properly labeled with "starting point" settings as well.

I also have about 5-10 different reference tracks depending on the style of music I'm mixing. So for instance, when I load my rock template, it loads a couple tracks from Deftones, Chevelle, and Breaking Benjamin if I'm going for that modern rock sound. If I load my Hip Hop template, some stuff from Dr Dre, T.I., Ludacris, and OutKast will load up.

My goal with my template is to take the work out of setup as much as possible. I want to mix, not look for a plugin, route a channel to a bus, or name a bunch of tracks. There are plenty of things I might not ever touch. And those things are hidden and made inactive when the template is loaded. However, if, for some odd reason, I need a 16th note ping pong delay set up, it's already there. heh
I agree and do the same thing 100%!!!
Everything said here is gold and makes for a better workflow.
It's a lot of time to setup but, at the end of the day, all your sessions will work flawless.

I do this for all sessions, be it Hip Hop/R&B/Pop/Rock.

Marc
Old 13th July 2011
Gear Addict

Maybe the guy uses Nebula which in some cases only lets you use one band of eq per instance... if not, I agree with the rest of you guys.
Old 13th July 2011
I never understood mixing templates. There are too many variations for songs. I just make a new template everytime I get a new mix. It takes 5 minutes to do so.
Old 13th July 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
I never understood mixing templates. There are too many variations for songs. I just make a new template everytime I get a new mix. It takes 5 minutes to do so.
Seriously, every song is so different but even with the same producer. They're mostly very similar in elements but still so different enough that you really cant have a set template for any session. Takes me 2 minutes to open a new session, import the audio and the master fader. Then what happens next....who knows thats up to the engineer.
Old 13th July 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishsteel View Post
Seriously, every song is so different but even with the same producer. They're mostly very similar in elements but still so different enough that you really cant have a set template for any session. Takes me 2 minutes to open a new session, import the audio and the master fader. Then what happens next....who knows thats up to the engineer.
I agree, I am surprised how many of you have templates going. How do you differentiate a ballad from a Hip-Hop song from a Rock song from an Electro song? They all have such different components. And really, I will not mix 2 songs the same.
Old 13th July 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
+1
Old 13th July 2011
Lives for gear

used to think they were awesome.
i agree, there's too much variation from song to song, i just start mixing forget templates.
Old 14th July 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
I agree, I am surprised how many of you have templates going. How do you differentiate a ballad from a Hip-Hop song from a Rock song from an Electro song? They all have such different components. And really, I will not mix 2 songs the same.
I have one big template that I import what I need from.

It's handy because all your tracks, plugins, routing, bus names, etc., are already there. My mixes can get pretty complicated so obviously this is just baseline stuff.

Regardless of genre, you're probably goin to use some reverbs, some delays, some other stuff. I don't get too deep into setting plugin presets or send levels or anything like that. Maybe if I have a nice delay or reverb setting I'll start with that and work it in from there.

Templates are handy for mixing, but I find theyre much more essential in tracking. You need to be setup and ready to roll very quickly and also have things like reverb or delay at a moments notice.
Old 14th July 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
This Don't like to repeat myself in any way.
Old 14th July 2011
Lives for gear
Mix templates are for producers making records that they want to sound uniform.

Extremely common in rock and metal.

For singles, I agree..no real use.
Old 15th July 2011
Lives for gear

from left to right:

Music Trks<>ST Group AUXes<>Click Trk<>Master Bus<>Bounce Trk<>EFX AUXes<>Vocals Trk
Old 15th July 2011
pensados place got the template bug going lol.
Old 15th July 2011
Lives for gear

I've been using a templates since PT 5.0 versions.
Old 16th July 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daez View Post
Templates are nothing new.
Old 16th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daez View Post
Lmao so true. I have a PT template, no plugins. Since I only mix my beats I only need like 5 fx aux channels. Not 30 lmao.

Asnd btw pensados place is the beezneez, i learn a lot from there as well as other websites.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Gearslutz.com App
Old 16th July 2011
Lives for gear

What is your pro tools mixing template?

I know the op said pt, but some folks reading have other daws... So maybe worth the post.

I use a template for logic, but mainly so that I can compose faster. Track one is a battery 3 or idrum (slept on) with the multi outs ready. Track 2 is an exs set to monophonic. I also like my track delay settings in ms... I don't normally use them for actually delaying anything, but it can be handy to use as a quick chart. I know it's easy math but it saves me time and I don't have to stop and nerd out about 192nd of 107.678 bpm. If there is a pt equivalent I would look into that.

Mixing: I don't have a premade, but there are a few things I do right of the bat to make life easier... I try to do a sort of Charles dye thing where I establish my 2bus early and mix into it.. I'm not on that level (duh) but that's definatly helping me acheive more satifactory results... If you can afford it (I can't) the waves API 2500 is great!. Recently satson has been on everything...
Likewise I always make a copy of the kick and a copy of the snare so that I can use some parallel...but I pull down the faders on them the second I make it.. Just so I have a better idea of where to start. Then I send the orig kick (pre fader... Doesnt have to be) to an aux and kill the output, not with the mute, but rout it to nothing. I then call this one "kik key" and use it for a side chain I might want as the mix progresses. Especially good for bass or reverb to play off.

None of this is gospel. Just how I have been doing it recently... Like Chris said: every song is different. Nothing wrong with having a couple templates ready to go. Nothing wrong with ignoring them and starting fresh either.

Agreed on pensado keyflo...if folks aren't watching y'all are really missing out. It's stuff like that where I sit back with a one hitter and a little tiny nug and think "now THIS is what the Internet is for!"
Old 16th July 2011
Gear Head

Why does PT look like ugly Reaper now...lol
Old 16th July 2011
EDF
Gear Addict
I start blank everytime.
Old 16th July 2011
Lives for gear

LOL templates are just good practice and have been around for years. I have about 20 different ones for Logic. Why not have a template for when an idea strikes you or to save time when starting a mix. That 5-10 minutes adds up to a lot over a 100-200 sessions a year.
OP use a template for sure. But make a few different ones for different scenarios.

I can't believe anyone would say templates are for producers going after the same sound, every record.
Your sounds, levels, plugins, and plugin / outboard settings are the real factor there. Not busses, sends, labeled tracks, and time saving organization.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:

A mix template is essential for workflow efficiency, it's no different as to coming to a studio that has an SSL installed. Of course to each his own

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search