The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
who are you favorite jazz/soul musicians and producers/arrangers?? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

who are you favorite jazz/soul musicians and producers/arrangers??

for me its grover washington jr, eric gale, RIP. who are some of yours?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yup, like Grover plenty especially his early stuff.

Ornette Colman is amazing, I'm big on harmolodics, not that I totally understand it but the concept is great. Listen to some of his work, it sounds like a train wreck at times but then there will be these moments of pure genius.

Wes Montgomery was the man. Mile davis kind of blue is pure art. George Benson, Ronnie Jordan
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

The Duke! St. Louis blues has been done more than any other song in history - but nobody did it like The Duke.
Old 30th December 2010
wreckingstuff
+1's all artists mentioned.

I saw Ornette Coleman live in 09 doing a remix/mashup of 'shape of jazz to come'. Amazing, aged 78, he ripped it on sax, trumpet, and violin.

I get what you mean about the 'train wreck' effect Dayl, where the piece breaks down almost to the point of being annoying, and then it suddenly snaps back into super tight sync. Steve Reid r.i.p. used the same device to build tension in some of his stuff (odyssey of the oblong square) but he maybe knew when to stop better than OC.

I like Ahmad Jamal, Milt 'Bags' Jackson as players and arrangers/bandleaders.

Leroy Hutson.

Stevie.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Herbie Hancock. That man is just a genius.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Since im in india,check Don cherry and friends out-

Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingstuff View Post
he ripped it on sax
My fav sax player has to be Gato Barbieri
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingstuff View Post
+1's all artists mentioned.

I saw Ornette Coleman live in 09 doing a remix/mashup of 'shape of jazz to come'. Amazing, aged 78, he ripped it on sax, trumpet, and violin.

I get what you mean about the 'train wreck' effect Dayl, where the piece breaks down almost to the point of being annoying, and then it suddenly snaps back into super tight sync. Steve Reid r.i.p. used the same device to build tension in some of his stuff (odyssey of the oblong square) but he maybe knew when to stop better than OC.

For me, the bits you describe as 'train wreck' are the bits I like. Free jazz!

If we're talking arrangers then I don't really think of free jazz, of course. I mean, my favourite jazzers are probably Anthony Braxton, Thelonious Monk, Eric Dolphy, John Coltrane, Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus.

But out of those, I'd only really think of Duke Ellington and Mingus as 'arrangers'. Ellington's 'Such Sweet Thunder' for instance (beautiful!). If we're talking arrangers then I'd think of Duke Ellington, Oliver Nelson, Gil Evans, Henry Mancini. All the guys that self-consciously wrote a bit 'classically', for classical orchestration in a jazz context.

If we're talking soul then Marvin Gaye, obviously (Trouble Man, What's Going On), Billy Paul, Isaac Hayes, David Axelrod.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

Lee Morgan, Allan Holdsworth, Chick Corea, and Pat Metheny.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Frank Sinatra, Tom Waits, George Benson, Harry Connick Jr, Luis Amstrong, Jamie Cullum, Michael Buble...
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

producers
Teo Mercero
HB barnum
David Rubinson
David Axlrod
norman witfield
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Is Henry Mancini considered jazz? Great arrangement of Windmills of Your Mind, and the Pink Panther stuff is awesome(ly hilarious).

x2 for Tom Waits. Is he usually thought of as a jazz guy?
Old 30th December 2010
T1M
Gear Maniac

Ramsey Lewis and Vince Guaraldi.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarymilton View Post
For me, the bits you describe as 'train wreck' are the bits I like. Free jazz!
Haha possibly not bro, I'm into harmolodics, I get and love free jazz but there are moments where it goes off the rails which can be expected.

George Duke... that guy is a killer on the keys! Richard Bona... and has anyone seen the Doco Calle 52? or.. 54? lol forget which one. Basically a bunch of old school afro cuban jazz legends Tito puente etc.. beautiful.

Oh.. and I forget the title but it is VERY worthwhile searching it out.. Prince and Miles Davis did this joint concert in a NY park (forget the name) back in the 80's it was bootlegged? maybe not but the recording quality is quite poor but the playing is supreme.. these guys just jammed... totally inspirational.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

i actually don't really enjoy jazz, which seems pretty backwards since i'm a sample-based artist.. some old records i've found from digging and enjoyed a lot recently though:

eberhard weber - the colours of chloe

gabor szabo - bacchanal

both are fantastic and unique, particularly the latter which mixes jazz with traditional hungarian folk influences. one of the most interesting jazz guitarists i've heard.

If you're talking super-experimental free jazz, the new david sylvian record is extraordinary, "manafon".
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I also like a bit of fusion ... no homoheh
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

John Coltrane, Jimmy smith
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Wayne shorter takes the cake in terms of musician/composer. His progressions are unreal.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search