The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tony Maserati Plugs from Waves? Any thoughts? Dynamics Plugins
Old 28th December 2010
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
ktodac3298's Avatar
 

Tony Maserati Plugs from Waves? Any thoughts?

Looking into buying some plugins for under 500, and with the 40% off deal waves got I thought now would be a good time, I do mainly hip hop and some alternative rock/r&b/techno, lol so basically a lot of different things but mainly hip hop, lots of VSTs, only real instruments are vocals and electric and acoustic guitars everything else is virtual or samples

has anyone used the tony maserati pack? are these artist packs just marketing gimicks? Am I better of getting the power bundle or even sticking with the default pro tools plugs (not too many I dont have the production pack or whatever it is called)?

Thanks!
Old 28th December 2010
  #2
Gear Maniac
I just got the Maseratti plugs 2 days ago, but havent tried them out yet! I hear from alot of ppl that they're really good! Me..well i'm a HUGE fan of the WAVES CLA plugz..fr*ckn awesome!! especially the CLA-2A/76 !!!
Old 29th December 2010
  #3
I don't agree that ALL waves stuff is rad. Some is good, some poor, some excellent. Masarati is ok. Try it yourself and see what YOU think.
Old 29th December 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
If you are not a pro mixing engineer - and do not have the funds to have a mixing engineer work on your music - the Maserati bundle is for you. It rarely gives you something bad, and in fact it can be really useful if you're at a dead end.

Demoing the bundle my thought was this - it often got me very close to what I wanted - but I wished there was a bit more in the way of control. Sometimes it would do something I didn't think to do and would inspire a really good idea. It was fun putting the "wrong" plug on tracks to see what would happen. Ultimately the utility didn't justify the price for me - but the quality of the processing and the outcome were solid.
Old 29th December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
janjaal's Avatar
they suck as$
and that's my personal opinion...

isame as kramer, jjp, and the cla stuff, all garbage

their ssl eq WAS good till i bought propellerhead record. the ssl eq on record is in a different league..

i tried so hard to like the api by waves, but i never did

the only stuff i like from waves are the Req, rcomp, and rdeesser, that's it
other stuff compare to uad, softube, stilwell, sonalksis and flux are total crap...
and again that's my personal opinion...
Old 29th December 2010
  #6
Gear Head
 
Audio Alex's Avatar
 

Grossly overpriced IMO
Old 29th December 2010
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Alex View Post
Grossly overpriced IMO

Not with the current discount and from a dealer like Tony B.
Old 29th December 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
Not with the current discount and from a dealer like Tony B.
WUP sucks over time though... Im a Waves customer, but not entirely happy with their policy I must admit.
Old 29th December 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by janjaal View Post
they suck as$
and that's my personal opinion...

isame as kramer, jjp, and the cla stuff, all garbage

their ssl eq WAS good till i bought propellerhead record. the ssl eq on record is in a different league..

i tried so hard to like the api by waves, but i never did

the only stuff i like from waves are the Req, rcomp, and rdeesser, that's it
other stuff compare to uad, softube, stilwell, sonalksis and flux are total crap...
and again that's my personal opinion...
Interesting. I like the CLA stuff - not so hot on the Kramer stuff or JJP stuff - the UAD equivalents are in the front running for me on the Pultec emulations.

At the same time, I really don't like RComp, and Req isn't exactly my favorite eq - but it's good for a quick fix.

I'm curious as to what plugs you do like. I've never used the Propellerhead SSL - but you have peaked my curiosity.
Old 29th December 2010
  #10
Gear Head
 
Audio Alex's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
Not with the current discount and from a dealer like Tony B.
I don't totally dislike Waves stuff. I got over our iLok disagreement from a couple years ago and have purchased some of their stuff since. I like their v series stuff as well as the CLA plugins. I just think the signature collection stuff is over priced, at least when it first came out. I guess with the 40% off discount going right now it behooves me to take a closer look.
Old 29th December 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 
janjaal's Avatar
well, i never used a real ssl 9k, but if u do a search here, u'll notice that whoever used the real 9k, also liked the record mixer which is an emulation of the 9k, the waves ssl is 4k emulation, and i think the 9k sounds better than the 4k in the real life? i donnu
but i used to use the waves ssl eq on every channel (expect vocal) and when i got the p.record, i just got in love with its eq, much much better then the waves, it sounds good even on vocals to be honest with u...

i mix with p.record rewired into cubase (yes it's a pain in the as$ but worthed) and get everything sound right with uad 1176, la2a, and la3a, very quickly, never got the sound right with the cla stuff. they sound too harsh and digital (or maybe i'm not used to them i donnu)
vocal eq must be uad pultec pro, and the compressor must be uad la3a, and for desser i must use the waves rdesser (which can't live without)
on my parallel compression i really like uad 1176, and it sounded so bad when i tried cla76, again sounds very digital and to be honest with u, it reminds me of nomadfactory plugs...

i use the rcomp and eq in a buss channel of my back vocals, they are very sweet for that purpose,

when i used the maserati, jjp, or kramer, i told myself that these developers try so hard to market crap, cuz who the hell uses two band no option eq, and one fader compression? come on, they made these for beginners? well beginners can learn and use the basic stuff in their daw, cuz these fancy plugs don't make their music sound good, it really doesn't...

i use stillwell majortom and trasiendmonster in some situations...

but ya when i start eqing in p.record i finish 80% of the job there and just do my touches in parallel send fx etc in cubase with PROPER plugs...

and again, that works for me and i'm just expressing my personal opinion...
Old 29th December 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Dayl's Avatar
personal opinions are fab


But what is the deal with these really? some of their older plugs, re skinned and bundled with user presets? the user being someone name drop worthy in this field?
Old 29th December 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by janjaal View Post
well, i never used a real ssl 9k, but if u do a search here, u'll notice that whoever used the real 9k, also liked the record mixer which is an emulation of the 9k, the waves ssl is 4k emulation, and i think the 9k sounds better than the 4k in the real life? i donnu
but i used to use the waves ssl eq on every channel (expect vocal) and when i got the p.record, i just got in love with its eq, much much better then the waves, it sounds good even on vocals to be honest with u...

i mix with p.record rewired into cubase (yes it's a pain in the as$ but worthed) and get everything sound right with uad 1176, la2a, and la3a, very quickly, never got the sound right with the cla stuff. they sound too harsh and digital (or maybe i'm not used to them i donnu)
vocal eq must be uad pultec pro, and the compressor must be uad la3a, and for desser i must use the waves rdesser (which can't live without)
on my parallel compression i really like uad 1176, and it sounded so bad when i tried cla76, again sounds very digital and to be honest with u, it reminds me of nomadfactory plugs...

i use the rcomp and eq in a buss channel of my back vocals, they are very sweet for that purpose,

when i used the maserati, jjp, or kramer, i told myself that these developers try so hard to market crap, cuz who the hell uses two band no option eq, and one fader compression? come on, they made these for beginners? well beginners can learn and use the basic stuff in their daw, cuz these fancy plugs don't make their music sound good, it really doesn't...

i use stillwell majortom and trasiendmonster in some situations...

but ya when i start eqing in p.record i finish 80% of the job there and just do my touches in parallel send fx etc in cubase with PROPER plugs...

and again, that works for me and i'm just expressing my personal opinion...

Hey, I dig it. When someone has strident difference in opinion from my own taste it intrigues me. That's why I wanted to know more!
Old 29th December 2010
  #14
Gear Maniac
The masserati plugins are pretty good, sure they're over-priced but they have nice presets for amateurs and hey..they sound good! Still, i gotta admit.. the Waves CLA-2A comes closer to the real thing than the UA LA-2A does IMO! ..
Old 29th December 2010
  #15
Gear Head
 
tal213's Avatar
IF SOMEBODY HAD THE WINNING LOTTERY NUMBERS.. THEY WOULD KEEP THEM FOR THEMSELVES...YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN...WISDOM
Old 29th December 2010
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Gundersen View Post
WUP sucks over time though... Im a Waves customer, but not entirely happy with their policy I must admit.
+1. WUP sucks.

I haven't tried the Maserati coz I don't wanna buy again. :-D

I'm happy with the SSL and API Waves stuff.
Old 29th December 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
WUP is bull****. spend your money elsewhere.
Old 30th December 2010
  #18
as it has been said many times.... if you don't need to u/g for some OS reason, don't re-WUP. you aren't required & the plugs still work... what's the beef?
Old 31st December 2010
  #19
ehb
Here for the gear
 
ehb's Avatar
 

Hi, I probe this plugins and the Eddie Kramer, and jjp stuff and sorry but don´t like the. I have the same sensation like others that this pugins are for beginners, or only to catch your money, marketing, etc...
They sounds good, but you can do the same with a comp. and eq, etc...
If you tweak your sound you learn things, how to do things, with this plugins you don´t know what you are doing.
The very important thing is the "know how", how to do the things, almost for me.
My opinion...
Old 31st December 2010
  #20
Here for the gear
 

Agreed with the guy above ^ They are a quick fix but a little overpriced. Although (as somebody else here mentioned) these plugs can be interesting on certain tracks just to try something different out and in double-quick time. Ultimately they're neither bad nor outstanding, just some middle ground area. But it's all about what your ears make of them, according to whatever you're using them for. If you have an average sounding vocal track these plugs won't magically make it sound supremely better. Maybe different....
Old 2nd January 2011
  #21
Gear Addict
 
robstercraw's Avatar
 

we have the cla maserati and jjp. Use the cla2a and 76 alot. Sometimes the cla fx and the cla vox for a quick mix just to send with clients after tracking. Like the puigtech and puigchild but not as good as the bf fairchild and pultec. Dont like the mas stuff so much....but thats just me.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #22
Gear Addict
 
Dbas's Avatar
I pity those who swear by the cla stuff and have yet to try the UAD.
Old 4th January 2011
  #23
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbas View Post
I pity those who swear by the cla stuff and have yet to try the UAD.
I have the UAD-2 quad and several plugins. This summer I bought CLA Signature, and later JJP and last week Maserati. Of all this CLA wins. It is so easy to get a sound I like with CLA. Maserati comes in a number two. And JJP I sometimes wonder why I bought at all.

Until the CLA Signature bundle I strugled to get a good sound. Now I can concentrate on the music. However, I do experiment with muting his compression and inserting a UAD instead, or perhaps use TC VSS3 for reverb (better). That way I can start with a good sounding mix, and try to make it better by substitution something. Much better than starting from scratch. But then again I have no intention of recording or mixing anything but my own music.

Now Waves sent me a voucher after buying WUP, so maybe I should get Kramer too? I probably won't use it, but why not ... ? Just for the sake of the complete collection.
Old 4th January 2011
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Ken Lewis's Avatar
i love alot of the WAVES stuff, including the Maserati plugins. I have the Mercury Bundle and use alot of whats in it on a regular basis. I gotta kind of scratch my head at the beefs with the sonics of waves stuff, but to each their own. I really dig plugins like Masterati and Kramer stuff that can start you out clicking thru presets. That gives me the option of hearing something ten different ways in 30 seconds to see if anything hits me like "wow that sounds great, let me run in this direction". the key as always is to use your ears and not rely on what your eyes tell you
Old 4th January 2011
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Ken Lewis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl View Post
personal opinions are fab


But what is the deal with these really? some of their older plugs, re skinned and bundled with user presets? the user being someone name drop worthy in this field?
there's alot going on under the hood with the maserati stuff. strings of outboard that have been modeled together into one chain, another string modeled into another chain, then give it a bit of tweekability from there. but they actually modeled tony's chains directly with him
Old 4th January 2011
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Ken Lewis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbas View Post
I pity those who swear by the cla stuff and have yet to try the UAD.
i'll take your pity
Old 4th January 2011
  #27
Here for the gear
 
jrockx3's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktodac3298 View Post
Looking into buying some plugins for under 500, and with the 40% off deal waves got I thought now would be a good time, I do mainly hip hop and some alternative rock/r&b/techno, lol so basically a lot of different things but mainly hip hop, lots of VSTs, only real instruments are vocals and electric and acoustic guitars everything else is virtual or samples

has anyone used the tony maserati pack? are these artist packs just marketing gimicks? Am I better of getting the power bundle or even sticking with the default pro tools plugs (not too many I dont have the production pack or whatever it is called)?

Thanks!
Maserati plugs are very good for instant gratification, but you can still tweak and that is where you will find the best results with them. Anyone that doesn't like these plugs or wouldn't find them useful for many styles of music is either Tony Maserati himself or another grammy award winning mixer with access to 20 plus years of knowledge and all the new and vintage gear in the world. They sound solid and they inspire great ideas. Download the demo, You will love them. And at the Waves discounted price you can't go wrong. They are pricey otherwise and that would be the only objection for the budget minded.
Old 31st December 2015
  #28
Here for the gear
 

Maserati plugs are garbage`and a market skeem. No serious engineer or producer would use them. No filter control over your eqs. No attack, release, ratio or threshold control over your compressor. No predelay, early reflection, dry/wet control over your reverb. You're literally, ignorantly turning knobs hoping for something that sounds good. Better option!! stop being lazy and wanting everything done for you. Understand what dynamics, eqing and other effects are for and how to operate them and their paramaters. That way you have total control over your mix and can create the sonic quality you aspired for your song. lol at $500 bucks for this nonsense
Old 31st December 2015
  #29
Gear Maniac
 

I use Maserati vox for background vox and the harmonics plugin sometimes for reverb. They find their uses.
Old 31st December 2015
  #30
I personally don't use much of the signature series stuff (with the exception of the CLA 2A and 76, and the Kramer Master Tape, which are all stellar)

The other ones are just a bit too all inclusive for my taste, with not as much specific control as I look for, cause I'm a bit spoiled with great rooms, instruments, musicians, mic's, pre's, and converters, so I'm able to get super close to what I want on the way in, so I'm not having to get too crazy in the box....

As with any piece of gear, or plugin, or preset, or approach, it's all going to be source dependent... so what may work brilliantly for me, may work terribly for you. I could send you my plugin chain for a typical pop vocal from my rooms/chains that works perfectly here and it may suck horribly for your rooms/chains, and vice verse.

They do certainly have their place though, and I have used them on a few projects where time was the most critical factor and they did a good job of generally covering a lot of tasks with one plug... which can be valuable enough on it's own.

Sometimes the utility of the workflow offered by a particular plugin makes it invaluable.... Like the EMO-D5 with so much dynamics control all in one place, or the C1... using one plug for multiple tasks.... has value.... or the ducking filter in the H-Reverb, not only is it an amazing sounding reverb, but it also saves me the time of having to sidechain a comp following the verb when I want to duck it from the vocals.... priceless to me. Sometimes it's the utility of the thing as well....

As far as WUP. I LOVE WUP!!!!! You DON'T NEED TO be covered. That's the beauty of it. Get it when you need it. Let it expire when you don't. You can always re-WUP at any time, even after a long lapse, without any penalty.

I am nearly exclusively a Waves user, with only a couple minor exceptions, and they're rare. Personal preference I suppose but I love them. Back when I had loads of plugs from other developers, when it came time to update our systems, it was a nightmare to have to go through the processes of updating plugs from many different developers. Issues with some, not with others, waiting on some to get compatible, etc etc etc. AND, it ALWAYS cost us more to update when we had to update 6 different developers, rather than what it costs us now to update Mercury and AR and everything from Waves. It's cheaper, and faster. Can't beat that. In my opinion, it's the best program in the industry.

One thing I notice a lot is that people seem to go to the WUP section in their Waves account and see the cost, without CHECKING THE BOX that says you're using these on one machine at a time. This dramatically changes the WUP amount. I think a lot of people miss this.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
devinkerr / The Moan Zone
14
danika / So much gear, so little time
14
GorillaToast / So much gear, so little time
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump