The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonar X1A Problem Audio Interfaces
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Sonar X1A Problem

Hi Everyone,

Hope you guys had a nice christmas!
I just got Sonar X1 (and the upgrade patch). I still have the old sonar 8.5.3 installed.
I noticed that when I playback a session in Sonar X1a Producer that there seem to be some audio dropouts, while in Sonar 8.5.3 i dont have any problems at all. The performance meters in X1 randomly spike up sometimes:S
Im using the exact same audio settings in X1 and tried everything that the manual suggests when you're having audio dropouts.

The weird thing is, that my pc is almost maxed out .. 12GB of RAM, Windows 7 64-bit, Core i7 ..2.53Ghz & Lots and lots of space on my harddisks.
I use the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 as my main audio device. Somehow Sonar, whether it'd be 8.5.3/X1 never really worked with ASIO. It uses WDM/K drivers but it runs really smooth in 8.5.3.

If there's someone out there who could help me, i'd be grateful!
Take care!
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

jasonro, sorry to hear about your problem.

I upgraded from Sonar Producer 8.5 and have been using Sonar X1 Producer, with Asio drivers and no problems.
I did notice that if you have lots of windows open, it will slightly rise your CPU, but that's with any DAW, with your Computer it shouldn't be enough to cause the problem that you are describing.
When I upgraded to 8.0 my biggest problem was putting in BeatScape but once you got it in you shouldn't need to reinstall Beatscape or Dimension Pro into the Sonar X1.
If I may make a suggestion try uninstalling it and then reinstall it again, taking your time, make sure NO various protection or nothing is running in the background.
If that doesn't work, try calling Cakewalk Tech Support (617 ) 423-9021 early in the morning before they get busy( Monday through Friday 9:30 AM to 8 PM Eastern time) and someone will walk you through the install or problem that you are having.

This and many other fixes are available at this link below.
( Addressed an issue where SONAR X1 would lose connection with some ASIO devices) (Fixed the following conditions which could cause SONAR to crash )

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2168374

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tt.aspx?forumid=57

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Contact.aspx

Hope this helps, please keep me informed as to what was the problem.
Peace.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Uninstall 8.5 and X1 then reinstall X1
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggmail View Post

jasonro, sorry to hear about your problem.

I upgraded from Sonar Producer 8.5 and have been using Sonar X1 Producer, with Asio drivers and no problems.
I did notice that if you have lots of windows open, it will slightly rise your CPU, but that's with any DAW, with your Computer it shouldn't be enough to cause the problem that you are describing.
When I upgraded to 8.0 my biggest problem was putting in BeatScape but once you got it in you shouldn't need to reinstall Beatscape or Dimension Pro into the Sonar X1.
If I may make a suggestion try uninstalling it and then reinstall it again, taking your time, make sure NO various protection or nothing is running in the background.
If that doesn't work, try calling Cakewalk Tech Support (617 ) 423-9021 early in the morning before they get busy( Monday through Friday 9:30 AM to 8 PM Eastern time) and someone will walk you through the install or problem that you are having.

This and many other fixes are available at this link below.
( Addressed an issue where SONAR X1 would lose connection with some ASIO devices) (Fixed the following conditions which could cause SONAR to crash )

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2168374

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tt.aspx?forumid=57

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Contact.aspx

Hope this helps, please keep me informed as to what was the problem.
Peace.
Thanks for the detailed response!! So I tried to close every unneccesary CPU resource (Symantec Anti-Virus, Skype, Flashget, Internet Explorer, Winamp) and well.. the Sessions are now running very smooth without any problems... However, I still don't get why Sonar 8.5 doesn't have this problem and X1 does! Is X1 more CPU heavy? ..
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonro View Post
Thanks for the detailed response!! So I tried to close every unneccesary CPU resource (Symantec Anti-Virus, Skype, Flashget, Internet Explorer, Winamp) and well.. the Sessions are now running very smooth without any problems... However, I still don't get why Sonar 8.5 doesn't have this problem and X1 does! Is X1 more CPU heavy? ..

Yes it doese require more Ram + CPU + 4.5GB and 15GB Hard Drive for full installation. (Pushing 64bit)
The new plugins are awesome along the lines of the Wave stuff and need more power.

Mastering

The TL64 Tube Leveler is a line driver/leveling processor for mixing and mastering tracks
YouTube - Give Color & Warmth to Your Tracks with TL64 Tube Leveler

YouTube - Fatten Drum Tracks with PX-64 Percussion Strip & V-Studio 700 (12 of 15)

Overview X1 console.

You seem to have enough according to your earlier post.
You also didn't need to uninstall Producer 8.5 unless you needed HD space.
I believe your problem was in the installation process, sometimes you may need to back track and uninstall and reinstall with nothing running in the background.
Glad that it's now working for you, if you have any more problems please utilize the information that I gave you in the earlier post.
Those guys at Cakewalk and people on the forum is very helpful and will do their best to keep you going.

Cakewalk SONAR 8.5 Producer Specifications:
  • System Requirements
  • Minimum
  • Operating system: Windows XP/Vista (32-bit) (SONAR does not officially support Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000 or XP x64)
  • Processor Speed: Intel Pentium 4 1.3GHz, AMD Athlon XP 1500+ or higher
  • RAM: 512MB
  • Graphics: 1024 x 768, 16-bit color
  • Hard disk space: 200MB for core program
  • Hard disc type: Any
  • MIDI interface: Windows-compatible (Required to connect external MIDI devices)
  • Audio interface: Windows-compatible (for audio playback)
  • Media drive: DVD-ROM, DVD+/-R, or DVD +/- RW drive (for installation because SONAR is presented on DVD media, so DVD-ROM, DVD+/-R, or DVD+/- RW)
  • Webserver access: None
Sonar X1 Producer Specifications
  • System Requirements
    • Windows XP Service Pack 3 (32-bit)/Vista Service Pack 2 (32- or 64-bit)/Windows 7 (32- or 64-bit)*
    • Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.67 GHz/AMD Phenom Quad Core 9750 2.4 Ghz
    • 2 GB RAM
    • 1280x800 minimum screen resolution
    • 4.5GB for minimal installation, 15GB for complete installation
    • SONAR on DVD: DVD-ROM, DVD+/-R or DVD+/-RW Drive
    • SONAR download: Broadband or better internet connection for download
    • Cakewalk Publisher requires available web server space with FTP access
  • Peace & blessings.
Old 30th December 2010
Using the same settings for X1 as you used in 8.5 may not be good. Your sound card's ASIO buffers or WDM slider position may need to be tweaked up a bit or down a bit.
Also, projects are not all the same. Some projects may need more resources and this may call for higher ASIO/WDM buffer settings.

The higher your ASIO buffer/WDM slider, the less your CPU has to work and the lower these settings are, the harder your CPU works

Cj
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Using the same settings for X1 as you used in 8.5 may not be good. Your sound card's ASIO buffers or WDM slider position may need to be tweaked up a bit or down a bit.
Also, projects are not all the same. Some projects may need more resources and this may call for higher ASIO/WDM buffer settings.

The higher your ASIO buffer/WDM slider, the less your CPU has to work and the lower these settings are, the harder your CPU works

Cj

CJ Mastering: Thanks for that info, although what your saying may have relevance, in this case it seemed to be the installation sense it's working for him now after re installation.
I came from early Cakewalk / Sonar and very seldom need to do any audio card, Asio or WDM adjustments like I did ( Buffer problems) when I use Pro Tools.
Usually I would update my computer to a more powerful one, pick my driver type, close then open Sonar, it does an adjustment on first time launch that analyses (Wave Profiler to test your hardware) and make adjustments base on your CPU sound configuration.
I hardly ever had a problem after that.
Sound card setup, link below if needed.
http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/hardwaresetup/

Thanks for your input though.
Peace & blessings.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Did you get the patch for the patch?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
Did you get the patch for the patch?

ONLY IF YOUR HAVING THIS PROBLEM http://www.cakewalk.com/support/kb/reader.aspx?ID=2007013217 Download HotFix.
SONAR X1A Hotfix for missing ASIO drivers

For me, (No Patch Necessary) I haven't been experiencing the problems that the Hotfix is suppose to fix...(if it ain't broke don't fix it) is my attitude for now.
I will at some point do a program update when available, but never when I'm working on new material.
The material that I started on 8.5 seamlessly transferred to Sonar X1 with no problems.
I'm hoping it stays that way...Lol.
Peace & blessings.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search