The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Right guys, how do you get your drums to swing and bounce nicely....
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Seriously,

Its driving me crazy, I just can't seem to get my drums to bounce nicely. I really don't know what to do I just can't seem to get it.

I use guru to store my drums and then play them out into logic's environment. I just can't seem to get the balance between a beat that bounces nicely and one that is too involved in the beat, I mean too fast.

Any advice guys?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

mpc 3k double tempo, swing to taste.. youre in logic so i have no clue...
Old 28th December 2010
Too fast of a bounce...you mean a more pronounced swing than you intended? Or is the tempo actually off?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I dont know about swing but if you need more bounce, I have a nice sample of a basket ball hitting a gym floor that you could use for a kick thumbsup
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl View Post
I dont know about swing but if you need more bounce, I have a nice sample of a basket ball hitting a gym floor that you could use for a kick thumbsup
I've always wanted to do that.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

everything ive programmed on hardware samplers seems to have a bounce that is alot more comfortable than the perfect grid like quantization of software....... also with whatever ur using id recommend some ACCENT on the main drum hits like 1-5-9-13. . . . also make the hats skip in velocity like TtTtTtTt instead of all the same TTTTTTTT
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

what do people think about double time? I mean in helping to get a bounce effect
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by folb695 View Post
what do people think about double time? I mean in helping to get a bounce effect
Double Time is great. I cant say that I've ever used it to get that bounce effect. I use it to add a few more hits (hi hats, toms etc) in the mix or have the perc buming in and out of being 2x faster than the beat etc..

It sounds like maybe by bounce you are meaning or referring to programming drum patterns?

With most sequncers, there will be a quantitize? function but better than this would be to turn 'snap to grid' or the like to 'off'.

Now push/nudge your kicks and hats etc around in freehand.

Normally as a rule, I would keep kicks dropping on the one locked in with the 2,3 open game, depending on what is called for. You will find that nudging the kick dropping on the 3 (for example) can change the dynamic of the beat considerable (see swing). I would also keep my main snares locked in with any ghost (or other) notes open to a bit of tweaking, especially quick fire repititions. You would be surprised at how this can open up your breaks.

Just freehand nudge etc while the beat is playing, you can hear the changes and hopefully will find the bounce you are looking for.

Oh yeah.. the tuning of the drums can have quite an impact on the way that they bounce also especially with certain melodies so tweak all those also.

Then there is the EQ/HF/LF Cuts etc to remove any artifacts that can slow the groove.

But now I'm just rambling....

I hope I'm understanding what you are asking here.
Old 28th December 2010
g22
Lives for gear

Just keep it simple. Program a kick on the 1 and 3, and a snare on the 2 and 4, and put a HH in between each on the 1/8th notes.

Then highlight all your high hats together as a group and push them way forward so they are closer to the snare than the kick.

The further you push them the more bounce you'll get, the less you push, the less bounce.

Start with that, then experiment off of that.

When your programming/quantizing, its all about shifting or pushing the notes forward or back.

You can experiment doing it with all your drums, you can push your high hats just a little bit forward, but push your snares way forward. There's tons of possibilities, just experiment.

How you mix them is key too. I find lowering the hats way down in the mix gives more feel to the overall drums than when they are right up front.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

tapping out the hats manually works well. actual pads very much do help vs. replicating percussion on keys for most people.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Simply quantize at a low swing strength - in between 55% and like 62%

It imparts "groove" before the beat starts to fully qualify as a "swing" beat, hear me? This is the secret trick to MPC's for a long ass time - swing at low strengths. You want bounce? Swing at low strengths, young grasshopper
Old 29th December 2010
No offense, but it's called "feel", and it's something you either have naturally, or you develop with a great deal of practice. Just keep at it and you'll get it
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

try the logiccafe homepage, they have quantize presets of the mpc!!! ;-)
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

How are you still here? Thought discussing cracked software resulted in a ban? Tony, you slacking on your pimpin!

The answer to your question... Play that **** right!
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

Google "MPC Groove Templates" for Logic. And you're good!
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

swing is the best way to go to make your drums bouncy.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Nah, developing a musical sense of timing is way better.

Drum selection helps also.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

The way I got better was to think like a drummer.

Swing templates are abundant so should be easy...to get bounce you should try playing it live for more than 2 bars. Vary your velocity while playing, especially on your hats and perc. You might start out doing some random velocities but if you have the ear, you'll settle into grooves within the velocities. Kinda hard to explain..but...That's where the magic lives. thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search