The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Getting Thick Vocals Single-Channel Preamps
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Getting Thick Vocals

I read over and over that rappers will record their vocals all the way through and then add the add libs, but how do their main vocals sound so thick?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

right mic, good pre, good comp, good technique. I hate to be so vague but that's what it comes down to. I see folks trying to make wine out of water with below par equipment and technique and they wonder why it doesn't sound like "x".
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

So I have a TLM 103 and a 737SP back home that I record on, but the vocals still sound to thin (probably my voice) and I want to stay away from stacking vocals since it takes more time and the vocals kind of blur together sometimes, specially in fast songs.

I'm in Afghanistan and I will be using a Blue Bird Mic and Avalon M5 with Mbox 3 for interface. What technic do you use when you record your vocals?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foz4000 View Post
So I have a TLM 103 and a 737SP back home that I record on, but the vocals still sound to thin (probably my voice) and I want to stay away from stacking vocals since it takes more time and the vocals kind of blur together sometimes, specially in fast songs.

I'm in Afghanistan and I will be using a Blue Bird Mic and Avalon M5 with Mbox 3 for interface. What technic do you use when you record your vocals?
First off. Stay up over there homie and get back home safe. TLM 103 and 737 should get you a more than decent vocal sound. 737 lacks character so you will have to get some eq work in and compression ITB. Also make sure you get up on that mic if your room/booth is not treated. Who would you compare your voice to?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

My voice is raspy Like Houston rapper Lucky Luciano.
And thanx we out here getting it done and trying to record during my two hours I get before bed and start all over again.

I loved the sound on the 737sp, but now I have to use more portable equipement so I chose the M5 tho people say the Great River ME 1NV is better. I'm sticking with Avalon. My room is trated, but it always seems like the high end mics are to bright. Like the TLM 103, I have never heard my voice through a U87 which is next on the list. I'm getting Rosetta 200 to clean up my digital sound. I use wave mercury bundle for Compression like the SSL 4000 plugin since I am not shipping my baby 737sp oout here.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

how are you treating your vocals? what plugins/settings are you using?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

I use a Eq that comes with protools 8, Compressor hybrid from waves, and SSL 4000 for finer tuning.

How ddo you treat your vocals?

And thank you for your responce.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foz4000 View Post
I read over and over that rappers will record their vocals all the way through and then add the add libs, but how do their main vocals sound so thick?
I don't know, recording raps ain't really my thing, though I have done it a couple of times. I would tend to agree with what everyone else said. Maybe they boosted ±200Hz range quite gently as well?? I don't know, I'm just guessing.

Last edited by DanDaMan; 29th December 2010 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

How do I put a pic under my user name?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

I think I figured it out
Attached Thumbnails
Getting Thick Vocals-foz-my-cash.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search