The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best cheap headphones for making beats and mixing? Studio Headphones
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

Best cheap headphones for making beats and mixing?

I'm looking for phones in the $200 range that I will be using mostly for making beats, and sometimes mixing. I will be using them in a completely untreated room. I'm considering ATH-m50's and AKG 240's at the moment...given my production environment and what I will be using them for would I be better off going with closed, semi-open, or open? I may consider going slightly over budget..
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP89 View Post
I'm looking for phones in the $200 range that I will be using mostly for making beats, and sometimes mixing. I will be using them in a completely untreated room. I'm considering ATH-m50's and AKG 240's at the moment...given my production environment and what I will be using them for would I be better off going with closed, semi-open, or open? I may consider going slightly over budget..
I like the AKG's, but enjoy wearing my Sennheiser's for longer periods of time as they are more comfortable. I wouldn't recommend mixing in headphones, but if you need to I would choose a semi-open Sennheiser for comfort and less ear fatigue.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict
1 vote for the ath-m50's, they sound great and are very accurate!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

MDR-7506 PRO.. You can.BUT!! DONT!! mix with any headphones..it will wear you and your ears OUT!! no joke.. its ok for tracking and spot checking.. and thats it.. yeah that goes for all of you sissy earbud laptop producers..save your ears man..

And turn those got damn drums down, and easy on the compression for the New Year.. ok YAW!!
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have a pair of 240's that I dont use since I bought my ultrasone, AKG's are good headphones for ppl listening to stuff that need detailled mids but dont care about lower end, ultrasone:made for hip hop.
Old 29th December 2010
shure srh840thumbsup
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Imo go with a cheaper set of closed ear headphones. You could probably save $100+ and still get quality. Use that saved money towards monitors and room treatment.

Definitely don't mix on headphones.
Old 22nd December 2016
Here for the gear

Don't use em my boy!!! Gotta be on monitors.. you can even have some bose computer speakers. That's how my broke ass got by before my krks. any decent headphones will do fine, your not trying to make a grammy. SO be realistic. as long as your not using some skull candys I'm sure you'll do just fine! X)
Old 22nd December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfox89 View Post
Don't use em my boy!!! Gotta be on monitors.. you can even have some bose computer speakers. That's how my broke ass got by before my krks. any decent headphones will do fine, your not trying to make a grammy. SO be realistic. as long as your not using some skull candys I'm sure you'll do just fine! X)
WHOA .... I hope the OP isn't still waiting for an answer after 6 years!
Old 22nd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfox89 View Post
It's true. I find that the frequencies seems to level off on headphones making everything sound good but not when played on other PA stereo systems. For making beats it's alright but for mixing it becomes way more difficult to make out the right levels in a proper mix and you would need to reference to a frequency chart to much and still not obtain the right mix oppose to monitors.
Old 22nd December 2016
DAH
Lives for gear

Senns HD580
Old 25th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANR2011 View Post
For making beats it's alright
I guess if someone is just sitting in front of a computer working with virtual instruments and one MIDI keyboard, headphones are alright for beat making, but I find them annoying personally, especially while trying to move from device to device in my setup.

I also think it's very important to "feel" the music your making as well, and you can't really do that unless you're working with adequate sized monitors in a decently treated space, which is why I usually like to have the mains on when working on a beat.
Old 25th December 2016
Gear Maniac

audio-techmica ATH-m50x all day
Old 25th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDrensk View Post
audio-techmica ATH-m50x all day
What about ath-m40x?
They say it is better. M50x would have too much bass boost.
Old 26th December 2016
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangs_08 View Post
What about ath-m40x?
My dad has a pair of the ath-m40x and i have the ath-m50x

To be honest the difference isnt too huge...the 40s a wee bit more natural...but the extra bass in the 50s is something i think makes them good but also you can learn to compensate for that if it becomes a problem.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP89 View Post
Its like this since your budget is 200 i say get the ATH-M50X. i got the white ones just for listening after i mix in my Sennheiser 600 HD. I bought mine for $129 New off ebay. At Massdrop you can buy the velvet ear piece cause that plastic aint good for long periods of time.

Are people still sayng you can't mix in headphones? Don't listen to that. Yes you can but having the right headphones is the answer.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANR2011 View Post
It's true. I find that the frequencies seems to level off on headphones making everything sound good but not when played on other PA stereo systems. For making beats it's alright but for mixing it becomes way more difficult to make out the right levels in a proper mix and you would need to reference to a frequency chart to much and still not obtain the right mix oppose to monitors.
I mix in my Sennheisers 600 HD for years and two top people told me my mixes were on point and it made their jobs easier. Tim Sonnefeld ( Grammy winner for Ushers album) and mastering engineer Dir KRAMER! Plus referencing in the car and other systems. If you know how to mix you'll be good.

This discussion has ended years ago add one can mix in headphones. It depends on who that person is.
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangs_08 View Post
What about ath-m40x?
In my studio I have both ath-40 and 50's. the 50's are just build better and IMO sound better .I also have the KRK's and they are very far from the ATH-m50's in therms of comfort and sound (and they are in the same price range)
Old 26th April 2017
Here for the gear
Grado SR80e's or SR125e's (i'm kinda surprised no one's mentioned these yet)! i started with AKG K240s and now i'm using a pair of Grados. when i'm monitoring & mixing, i switch between these and my Adam A7x's.

my suggestion would be that if you plan to mix with headphones, definitely look into open-back pairs.
this will help give you a better perception of 'space' as opposed to using closed-back headphones (no perception of listening space since it's fully enclosed).
don't get me wrong though--all of the other suggestions are great choices as well.

at the end of the day, it's going to come down to personal preference (as you can tell with the feedback people have been giving you) and how well you get used to the how the headphones sound.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search