The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
M5 For Rap Vocals Single-Channel Preamps
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

M5 For Rap Vocals

Hi,

I own a 737sp which I love to death, but I'm deployed and need a more portable pre.

I'm considering the M5 by Avalon, but I want to make sure I'm making the right investment since I want it to be around for years to come.

Any suggestions as to what other portable pre might out do the M5 for about the same price, no more then 2,000?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

To my ears from hearing it at a Studio I work at who has a M5 it sounds good, its in that same family with a Robbie although Robbie sounds larger. That's my personal opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

So you think I can get better vocals witht the Robbie? I know is cheaper too. The only reason I want to stay sway from tube is replacing the damn things. I'd rather have the M5 only cause it don't have tubes. What do you think?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

iMac vs Mac Pro

Witht he iMac 27 7i maxed in ram and proccesing speed, do I really need a 12 core duo?

I only record my Vocals on instrumentals I buy, but my MacBook pro still runs out of CPU when I put in to many plug in while tracking.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foz4000 View Post
Witht he iMac 27 7i maxed in ram and proccesing speed, do I really need a 12 core duo?

I only record my Vocals on instrumentals I buy, but my MacBook pro still runs out of CPU when I put in to many plug in while tracking.
Not sure why you're switching topics in the middle of your own thread, but....

If you're just recording vox over 2-track instrumentals, the new i7 iMacs are WAY more than enough horsepower; especially if you max it out. They are just about 'neck-and-neck' with the "old" 8-core Mac Pros (which I have). I have yet to be able to max out this machine running Logic in 64-bit mode.

Good luck...
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
So you think I can get better vocals witht the Robbie? I know is cheaper too. The only reason I want to stay sway from tube is replacing the damn things. I'd rather have the M5 only cause it don't have tubes. What do you think?
Well tubes are something to consider, I think the Robbie and the M5 are in the same league, but Robbie has this round, larger than life sound to it and I love big vocals, and Robbie doesn't burn through tubes fast at all.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi,

I own a 737sp which I love to death, but I'm deployed and need a more portable pre.

I'm considering the M5 by Avalon, but I want to make sure I'm making the right investment since I want it to be around for years to come.

Any suggestions as to what other portable pre might out do the M5 for about the same price, no more then 2,000?
Have you considered just getting a pretty "sterile" (but high quality pre) and adding something like Nebula3 Pro? With something like the Apogee or another small form-factor, you should be good to go.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWeeGee View Post
Not sure why you're switching topics in the middle of your own thread, but....

If you're just recording vox over 2-track instrumentals, the new i7 iMacs are WAY more than enough horsepower; especially if you max it out. They are just about 'neck-and-neck' with the "old" 8-core Mac Pros (which I have). I have yet to be able to max out this machine running Logic in 64-bit mode.

Good luck...
Because I have so many questions to be answered my bad, wont do it again.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

I have the Avalon 737SP and it is a beast, but I can't afford to have it out here in afghanistan so I want to go with something smaller like the M5, but I hear a lot of good things about the Robbie by Blue. I'm trying to decide cause this pre will be with me for as long as it lives.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,

If it's portable that you want, I'd go with Great River GR1-NV or BAE DMP. Both Neve style, sound excellent and portable. Both of these brands are used in pro studios every day and they're both around $1,000.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Apart from portable I want quality so M5 or Great River?

Thank you for your responce
Old 29th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWeeGee View Post
Have you considered just getting a pretty "sterile" (but high quality pre) and adding something like Nebula3 Pro? With something like the Apogee or another small form-factor, you should be good to go.
The M5 definitely falls into the "sterile" category. Not in a bad way. But it's super clean. The high pass filter is particularly nice.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Thank you finally. M5 it is
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search