The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help! Subwoofer Question Studio Monitors
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Help! Subwoofer Question

I have KRK V6's as my monitors for the moment and my question is pretty simple and stupid. Im buying the KRK 10s for a sub...Where do I place the sub? On the floor? I have no room on my studio desk bc my monitors and screen take up the space. Thanks alot for any help. Also do u think its completely necessary to buy a sub? I feel like my mixes would translate better.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

on the floor is fine. Best to be equidistant from your ears to the sub and monitors.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks man. Do u think buying a sub is def. a necessity? I do notice that when i bring my mixes to my car or other cars theres more lowend that i never even heard before on my V6s. So im thinking if I buy a sub Ill hear a better representation of the bass in my mixes.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

You're welcome.

It is definitely helpful to know what's going on down there. It is critical to adjust the crossover correctly. From a transparency standpoint, it is better to run the V6s full range and crossover the sub so it matches them, making sure to error, if at all, on minimizing the overlap so you don't muddy the crossover zone. You can do this by measuring, with an accurate SPL meter and test tones and/or by ear with appropriate music that demos the range in question, such as something that has a bass line that goes above and below the crossover range. The V6 starts rolling off around 60Hz. The low E on a bass is 42 Hz, the octave higher twice that, etc...

Cars are not a very good reference for neutral accuracy. If you're hearing a lot more bass in your car than your V6s it's probably grossly exaggerated in the car. In my car I have to bring the bass and treble EQ down one notch each to approximate neutral.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by good musik View Post
Thanks man. Do u think buying a sub is def. a necessity? I do notice that when i bring my mixes to my car or other cars theres more lowend that i never even heard before on my V6s. So im thinking if I buy a sub Ill hear a better representation of the bass in my mixes.
You will actually have less bass in your mixes if that sub is not properly calibrated and too boomy.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

First put the sub where you are normaly listening, maybe on your desk or chair.
Then crawl over the floor, and find the sweet spot.
Put the sub there.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search