The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
WORTH A MIC Upgrade? Dynamic Microphones
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

WORTH A MIC Upgrade?

I currently have a Shure SM7B dynamic microphone that I'm looking to trade out for a condenser microphone...I'm leaning towards the AT4050 as I'm not wanting to spend more than $600. I have a Solid State Logic XLogic Alpha recording channel and for whatever reason don't get the clean sound from the Shure SM7B that I'm looking for...When I plug the mic in to the channel I get a lot of feedback, static, fuzz when I turn up the gain. The channel runs into an EMU 0404 USB Interface. I don't know if I don't have it setup right, if it's the mic, if its the recording channel causing the background noise or what. My question is thou...would it be worth the upgrade to a condenser microphone for hip-hop vocal music or should I stick with the dynamic SM7B?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

You first need to figure out what the "feedback, static, fuzz" is before you start spending more money.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
You first need to figure out what the "feedback, static, fuzz" is before you start spending more money.
+1.

Can you borrow a mic from a friend? Eliminate possibilities. Maybe borrow a preamp as well and go into the line in on your interface. No point in shelling out until you know what's up.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search