The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Preemo and Pete Rock interview Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Preemo and Pete Rock interview

an hour-long sit down

Sitdown With DJ Premier & Pete Rock on Vimeo
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

that was dope; well worth the time. is there a part2 though? it cuts off abruptly.
Old 27th December 2010
g22
Lives for gear

good find, thanks for sharing.
Old 27th December 2010
DAH
Lives for gear

Dope interview, thanks!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

dope interview, only thing, and this seems to occur all the @#$%#@# time with these type of clips... cut the freaking music in the back!!!!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
Dope interview, thanks!
+1,
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
that was dope; well worth the time. is there a part2 though? it cuts off abruptly.
i agree, it does end abruptly. if there's a part 2, it hasn't been posted yet. i'l keep an eye out though
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

I have to admit I didn't have much respect for B.I.G. until I watched this interview. I Apologize if that's blasphemy, but I'm jaded as a beat maker.

The majority of rappers today have easy access to any instrumental they want and the producer/emcee dynamic goes right out the window.
It's hard to find someone real who "gets" it and is about building a musical relationship other than "ayo let me get dat beat / do u got any <insert flavor of the week> bangerz?"

I am glad to see that Biggie had this mentality and actually understood the craft of the person behind the pads.

Qtip/puffy on the other hand
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
great interview very enjoyable u can tell dudes had a blast in that mid 90's era.

big knew about music forreal and defo had a strong artistic vision which many good mc's dont have.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

it was interesting seeing them talk about illmatic—they were so enthusiastic about wanting to do a follow-up to it (still don't understand why nas hasn't done this..)
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
it was interesting seeing them talk about illmatic—they were so enthusiastic about wanting to do a follow-up to it (still don't understand why nas hasn't done this..)
that type of talk used to get me all excited, but... it almost never happens, and if it does... it doesn't live up to people's expectations.

well, this one still gets me excited a bit! heh

nas + primo + p.r. + qtip + large pro + les in 2011.
imagine that.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaltern View Post
i agree, it does end abruptly. if there's a part 2, it hasn't been posted yet. i'l keep an eye out though
It's from a DVD. They want you to buy the DVD.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post

nas + primo + p.r. + qtip + large pro + les in 2011.
imagine that.
Yeah, why the hell not? It's not like Nas is a super-huge artist like Jay-Z. I an see Jay not being bothered to do a Reasonable Doubt II ("buy my old album"), but Nas has Pete Rock and Primo there wanting to do an album with him, and he doesn't want to do it?? What's the downside? It would outsell whatever else he has planned anyway.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drollz View Post
It's from a DVD. They want you to buy the DVD.
actually i figured it out.. if you go to the original post on the djpremierblog that links to vimeo, he says the last few minutes accidentally got cut off due to his poor video editing.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, why the hell not? It's not like Nas is a super-huge artist like Jay-Z. I an see Jay not being bothered to do a Reasonable Doubt II ("buy my old album"), but Nas has Pete Rock and Primo there wanting to do an album with him, and he doesn't want to do it?? What's the downside? It would outsell whatever else he has planned anyway.

would love to see this happen too but...
i'm just saying... over the years there has been too much speculation and almost no actual albums when it comes to these type of dream team projects.

remember the nas + salaam remi 100% sample based album that never came out? the rakim + premier album that never came out? to name just two.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

No doubt. But Primo and Pete Rock are positively giddy over this. It's all on Nas, and why the hell wouldn't/doesn't he want to do it?

Imagine if Dr. Dre had a video up basically begging Snoop Dogg to do a Doggystyle II? I mean, I'm sure Snoop would be on that in a second, and it's Dre who wouldn't be into it.

Of if Rza wanted to reunite the whole Clan and make a record with his ASR-10, low-budget style? I bet all 7 emcees would be there in a minute.

Point being: the producers are the ones who should be hard to coordinate, and they're into it, at leas the two biggest ones. It's not like Nas is selling like Lady Gaga or something and this would be a step down for him. I guarantee Illmatic II would be a huge seller, at least compared to how sales are nowadays. There's no reason not to do it!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
...There's no reason not to do it!
true, but trust me, producers usually are a lot easier to get a hold of and have way better work ethic than most mc's. i can't find the link but i saw this clip in which premier tells about rakim's lazy attitude so it's almost impossible to work with him for example. there's tons of examples like that.
puzzles me too but it's just not that easy i guess.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Yeah, I saw the same interview about Rakim. But the dude went 12 years between albums, proving his laziness. Nas has new **** out almost every year. There's no good reason to do something else other than this. Unless he just doesn't want to **** with the legacy of it.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
...There's no good reason to do something else other than this. Unless he just doesn't want to **** with the legacy of it.
didn't think of that but actually that could be a major factor imo.

time will tell, would be extra nice though!
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Well, he did call an album "Stillmatic," so... (BTW, I was not a fan of that LP at all, despite the acclaim. 5 mics, good sales #s, etc., but a completely unworthy sequel. Do it right this time!)
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, he did call an album "Stillmatic," so... (BTW, I was not a fan of that LP at all, despite the acclaim. 5 mics, good sales #s, etc., but a completely unworthy sequel. Do it right this time!)
every nas album after illmatic was disappointing to me.
being a great mc and not being able to pick hot beats seems to go hand in hand.
rakim...
canibus...
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
true, but trust me, producers usually are a lot easier to get a hold of and have way better work ethic than most mc's. i can't find the link but i saw this clip in which premier tells about rakim's lazy attitude so it's almost impossible to work with him for example. there's tons of examples like that.
puzzles me too but it's just not that easy i guess.
and that might be a small part of the reason it hasn't happened (yet). a producer says something in an interview that a sensitive emcee/artist takes personally or perceives as a diss, then all of a sudden the working relationship goes all weird. if i'm not mistaken (read or heard about this somewhere), jay and preem's relationship went kinda sour because preem preferred ether over takeover.

another contributing factor could be that there might be a perception that preem and pete are unable to keep up with new (profitable) trends (ie. reach younger audiences who are unfamiliar with or don't care about their legacies) and therefore not worth the slices of the budget.

hopefully the preem vs pete rock and krs projects will rekindle the flame for collabos of that nature...and if it does happen, that it'd be some classic ****
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

These two guys make me know why 90's hip hop was the best. I salute these two legends.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
every nas album after illmatic was disappointing to me.
being a great mc and not being able to pick hot beats seems to go hand in hand.
rakim...
canibus...
IMO that's probably an issue of expectations. Sure there's only one Illmatic, but Nas made several very good albums. You just have to take them for what they are.

Also I know THIS is blasphemy, but I have to say my favorite Nas album to just put on and listen to is The Lost Tapes. I guess just because it's more relatable and emotional. Illmatic is of course one of the best albums ever, maybe the best hip hop album ever. But it's very technical to me, and it's a lot of narrative without much emotion.

In reference to Q-tip,I was under the impression that he actually did a lot on the production side.

And man, Q-tip and Biggie are two of my favorites ever, I don't care if all they did besides shows and recording verses was take naps, if that's what it took to make those albums.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search