The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Noticed this on craigslist today. Mpc that made some biggie & Lil Kim beats Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 27th December 2010
Noticed this on craigslist today. Mpc that made some biggie & Lil Kim beats

http://memphis dot craigslist dot org/msg/2128097790.html

Looks like Carlos "Six July" Broady is getting rid of his mpc3000. He said he's been moving more ITB lately. Guess so!!! A little history for sale.
Old 27th December 2010
I'm thinking of buying one because I'm a decent drummer and I always add more drums parts with my MicroX after the tracks are layered in Fruity, so it gives it more body and makes it sound more natural. I dunno, what do you think? Are mpcs slowly dying? I just find that it would help my tracks sound more organic and less beat grid. I bet he has some nice samples on there.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
I'm thinking of buying one because I'm a decent drummer and I always add more drums parts with my MicroX after the tracks are layered in Fruity, so it gives it more body and makes it sound more natural. I dunno, what do you think? Are mpcs slowly dying? I just find that it would help my tracks sound more organic and less beat grid. I bet he has some nice samples on there.
every thread with you in it starts out with "i'm thinking of buying one..."
Old 27th December 2010
g22
Lives for gear

I saw Jamie Foxx's MPC 3000 on ebay last night, and another one that was supposed to be made custom for Scarface.

@Chris, an mpc would be a wise investment for drums, imo, especially a 3000 or 60.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by g22 View Post
I saw Jamie Foxx's MPC 3000 on ebay last night, and another one that was supposed to be made custom for Scarface.

@Chris, an mpc would be a wise investment for drums, imo, especially a 3000 or 60.
yes a wise investment if you want the slow, bogged down workflow and limitations of the 90's. If you have not used an mpc in the past, i don't see the reason to start now. I used mpc's for over 10 years, loved them and still do, but there is much better out there now. If you want to learn something new, then do just that and learn something new, not something that hasn't been upgraded in over 10 years.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Chris, if you are a decent drummer get the alesis usb drumset. It feels great, but they only problem some people will come across is you gotta be accurate where you hit cause the heads are a little smaller than regular drumheads. Other than that its a beast. Its easier for me to do that then play with the pads.
Old 27th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblessin View Post
Chris, if you are a decent drummer get the alesis usb drumset. It feels great, but they only problem some people will come across is you gotta be accurate where you hit cause the heads are a little smaller than regular drumheads. Other than that its a beast. Its easier for me to do that then play with the pads.
I used to have a TD12 and I don't want to do that again. I think tapping with pads would be an easy way to spice up some of my work. I could just rent one from the music store and see how it feels. My workplace is a bit of a nightmare right now so I don't have enough space to put an MPC on my desk.

People on here still feel that the MPC is good for workflow or is it not worth it?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
I used to have a TD12 and I don't want to do that again. I think tapping with pads would be an easy way to spice up some of my work. I could just rent one from the music store and see how it feels. My workplace is a bit of a nightmare right now so I don't have enough space to put an MPC on my desk.

People on here still feel that the MPC is good for workflow or is it not worth it?
If you need raw power, then software is the obvious choice (Motu's BPM, N.I's Maschine, FXPansion's Geist, or Guru, etc.) on a powerful computer of choice.

In terms of vibe, user friendliness and simplicity, an MPC will do wonders, but it is limited in power (polyphony, effects, etc.), unless you prefer it's sound quality per se.

Other than the MPC'c super readiness (in terms of sequencing) and other varying features it probably is a good thing to get acquainted with the previously mentioned software and newer more cutting edge stuff although the MPC 4000 (in particular) is both a good sequencer and a very good midi controller.

Personally, if the MPC had greater polyphony alone, it would still remain my 'go-to' sequencer for many years to come; it is just that simple and ready to go ! If you could grab one (even a MPC 2000 XL) for a reasonable price, I'd go for it and see what you think.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:

The people that have them and use them love them. If your going to get one at this stage of evolution in music, keep it for sentimental reasons. Yeah, sounds great, but who want' to go back in time to Thriftys to buy floppy disks for it?
Old 27th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixHitz View Post
The people that have them and use them love them. If your going to get one at this stage of evolution in music, keep it for sentimental reasons. Yeah, sounds great, but who want' to go back in time to Thriftys to buy floppy disks for it?
I just have a feeling that everyone is selling their Mpcs yet in a couple of years people will be searching for them and pay big money, like they do with u47s etc.
Old 27th December 2010
g22
Lives for gear

I love the current software craze because all this great hardware is being sold so cheap.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
I love the current software craze because all this great hardware is being sold so cheap.
+1

I picked up some asr10's dirt cheap here, got three now
never(rarely use them though, lol
Old 27th December 2010
g22
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfg_MacGyver View Post
+1

I picked up some asr10's dirt cheap here, got three now
never use them though, lol
Give one to me, lol. :-)
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:

@Chris - Not cool to threadjack. But since you seem sincere in your question ---- Just get a Korg padKontrol, NI Maschine or M-Audio Trigger Finger if you want pads. All of them will let you free hand rhythms into your sequences without much drama.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by g22
+1 and stuff
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just have a feeling that everyone is selling their Mpcs yet in a couple of years people will be searching for them and pay big money, like they do with u47s etc.
That's why...ahem!...I've got every model made... lol And great that they're getting even cheaper too!

Truth be told, it's because I love MPC's as you can gather from my ID and am still out to buy a few more 60's.... And won't ever sell em!

ATTENTION: Anyone with a mint condition MPC 60, contact me! I'll buy it!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Id recommend the mpc and the roland R8 to layer with your fruity loops ect software.Contray to a lot of opinions youl read on these boards of late,they have a lot of personality.I used to make complete tracks in one sitting with these boards only.Maschinedrum uw is a killer also.Of course its all up to you......My pad control is very usefull too.
Old 27th December 2010
DAH
Lives for gear

I love: pressure to velocity and note repeat function as well as shift\swing facilities. And those rubber pads. And stable timing. And those volume envelopes. and 16 level

I hate: floppies, trimming samples hell, sampling only predefined time and limited sample editing function (phase invert, for example)
Talking 3k here.
BTW I do not believe in MPC sound much.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
i doubt this will ever be true. U47's are worth so much because there are parts (vf14's) in them that are not made anymore and are unable to recreate the key part in the sound. Mpc's are digital, someone will always be able to recreate an mpc (take a look at JJ). The closest pieces of equipment that are worth something is the sp1200 and the tr808 and even those have gone down a little in value. Those will always be pieces that will be worth more than mpc's and not only that they were more limited in numbers than the mpc. Also everyone keeps talking about how the mpc 60 and 3000 are gonna be worth money etc... When the 60 came out, it was like $5000 When the 3000 came out they were like $3500, right now you can get them for like $1,000. They are worth 1/5th and 1/3rd of what they were worth 15-25 years ago. Everybody and their mother has an mpc, you'll always be able to find one. They aren't gonna go up in value permanently, maybe they'll go up for a year bc of some trend, but that's it.

edit: i've owned every single one of the mpc's, that whole "it has a sound" thing is a load of BS IMO.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

chris have you considered the mpc4000? i think that's generally a better machine than the newer models, and you wouldn't have to use floppies at all.. if i were you, i'd go with that or the 2000xlmcd, which has the flash card reader installed instead of the floppy. the 4k goes for about 800, the xl you could pickup for probably 600 (though it doesn't have near the level of functionality that the 4k has).
Old 27th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
chris have you considered the mpc4000? i think that's generally a better machine than the newer models, and you wouldn't have to use floppies at all.. if i were you, i'd go with that or the 2000xlmcd, which has the flash card reader installed instead of the floppy. the 4k goes for about 800, the xl you could pickup for probably 600 (though it doesn't have near the level of functionality that the 4k has).
I think I saw someone selling a 2000xl nearby, I'll go check it out.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just feel that people will do what they did to their LA2As, they dumped them when the LA3A came out and now there is a big craze for the LA2As.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hey Chris if you do decide to go with an mpc you should check out the 2500 with the JJ OS 2XL. The JJ OS is basically a 3rd party operating system that you can buy (there's a very good chance that the 2500 you'd buy could already have a version of the OS installed) which basically adds a ton of features that the regular operating system from akai didn't have. Since you use software like FL Studio you're probably so use to having alot of features available that you may feel limited by using an older mpc (unless you're only going to use it for some basic drum programing and sampling). An mpc 4000 would be your best bet but a 2500 with the JJ OS would be a great choice and it would be less expensive that a 4000 and less expensive than a 3000 or a 60 and kill them both feature wise.
Old 28th December 2010

I have a 2000xl & a 1000 for sale if anyone intrested.

But by the time they are "sought after" gear, it'll be about 2037.

And the carlos' mpc in the sale might come with a road case. He had one for this but it's not listed.
Old 28th December 2010
And I have an ASR10 that I would sell cheap, due to the fact that it some problems. PM if interested.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
A mpc won't do much for u as making the tracks more organic. Not quanitizing will as well as time shifting tracks. That can be done with any sequencer
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Give one to me, lol. :-)
I'll think bout it
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixHitz View Post
..Yeah, sounds great, but who want' to go back in time to Thriftys to buy floppy disks for it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
I hate: floppies, trimming samples hell, sampling only predefined time and limited sample editing function (phase invert, for example)
Talking 3k here.
..Re:the 3000-Modern 3rd party hard/software (CF reader,Vailixi OS,RS-16x)..allows you to do all of the time consuming/tricky/limited stuff (edit/store samples,..even build programs,etc)..all in your computer..and transfer back over for all the fun stuff..

Win/Win !!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search